• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil pump adjustment.... revisited

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
The take I am starting to get on this is, if you are an aggressive rider and stay in top end of the throttle most of the time then you might not notice to much of a change in the oil used by turning the pump up a few turns, if you ride at slower speeds then you might see a difference, but the one thing that most are in agreement on is that adding some oil to the tank is a good thing. I would like to know from those that have been adding oil is if they are having to clean their power valves more often ? I have been riding an 11 pro and my dealer did adjust the pump up a little and I did notice a slight change in my oil usage but no wear near what it would take to = 40:1. I have a 13 on order and might try turning up the pump a little and after reading all the post on here I will try adding a little oil to the tank after break in.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I can vouch for the fact that you can put a lot of oil through the motor. After an off-season top end job on my 800 prior to last season, I adjusted my oil pump up a bit (on purpose) to make sure I had plenty of oil while breaking in. The first ride out, I went through almost the entire oil reservoir - that worked out close to 15:1 ratio. Interestingly, the motor never bobbled at any time and didn't seem to smoke excessively. I certainly didn't leave it that way, but it was an interesting "accidental experiment".

How did you do that. Was it a Pro or a Dragon?

Some say the linkage is the limit (others don't). Did you change that? Bend the tang?
15 or 20 to 1 is where I would like to start and turn down the useage from there.
I don't use a full synthetic and believe in oil ratio for sealing to help with break in and after that I need a little less.

I like oil injection for the ease (if I can get enough in there). I top up the fuel and oil tanks and go. Too easy. Imo oil does get picked up from the bottom end today (and reaches the top end through all the transfers not just one) just as easy as it did in the past on my sleds.
My sleds still smoke at the low air velocity of idle on start up. That proves two things to me. One the oil still moves easily with the air going through the bottom end and two the oil still sticks to the the moving and non-moving parts of an engine (and then when sitting for a while drains to the bottom for a too big happy puddle on start up).

So how do I set my pump to run 15 or 20 to 1 (I like that feature if it is there). Custom linkage for turbos? Shim or bend the tang?
I'm not afraid to change a thing or two on the sled to help. My warranty is usually technically void pretty soon after falling off the truck in the shop lol.
I think I'll pick it up today.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
How did you do that. Was it a Pro or a Dragon?

Some say the linkage is the limit (others don't). Did you change that? Bend the tang?
15 or 20 to 1 is where I would like to start and turn down the useage from there.
I don't use a full synthetic and believe in oil ratio for sealing to help with break in and after that I need a little less.

I like oil injection for the ease (if I can get enough in there). I top up the fuel and oil tanks and go. Too easy. Imo oil does get picked up from the bottom end today (and reaches the top end through all the transfers not just one) just as easy as it did in the past on my sleds.
My sleds still smoke at the low air velocity of idle on start up. That proves two things to me. One the oil still moves easily with the air going through the bottom end and two the oil still sticks to the the moving and non-moving parts of an engine (and then when sitting for a while drains to the bottom for a too big happy puddle on start up).

So how do I set my pump to run 15 or 20 to 1 (I like that feature if it is there). Custom linkage for turbos? Shim or bend the tang?
I'm not afraid to change a thing or two on the sled to help. My warranty is usually technically void pretty soon after falling off the truck in the shop lol.
I think I'll pick it up today.
Geo, I see no reason why you couldnt use the carbed tunnel ram linkage (spherical rod ends), and make your own adjustable linkage kit and be able to set it where you want it...heres a kit to give you an idea..most likely you can get any peices you want induvidually...http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-4027/

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
And that would be from which model? New to Polaris lol.

I've looked at the pics and I think I may have a thing or two in my tool box misc. drawer lol. Something like a Ducati desmo tappet shim lol. A nice linkage from and older model would be nice too.

I was just hoping someone who experienced the high oil use (mistake or not lol) had that happen. Was the adj screw tang bend down?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
geo, the linkage I was talking about was just carburator linkage as used on a car..(for dual quads on a tunnel ram) jegs or summit racing have linkage kits available or go to your local bearing shop and look at small spherical rod ends and build your own..shouldnt be hard to make it adjustable... but I would try adjusting the stock stuff first and see if it gives you what you need....

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I see. Thanx.

I guess I'll pull the tank and air box and scratch my head for a bit first lol.

So,,, with the stock adjuster bottomed out and not bent, the linkage as it comes, we will not get to the 20 to 1 range. Correct?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
not sure geo..mine burns about 38 to 1 right now(mine still has a bit of adjustment but I doubt it would get to 20 to 1..) I figure with where my oiler is..and adding oil to the fuel..I am getting enough oil...so havent messed with it any more....

MotorMouth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2012
Gilbertville Iowa
With the straight slot ajuster screw removed, the arm bottomed out, and the throttle fully open you can still move the arm on the oil pump a ways. Maybe 15 degrees or so. I can easily see how a bent arm would drastically affect oil consumption. The bent arm acts exactly as a shorter arm would.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
MotorMouth;3100045[B said:
]With the straight slot ajuster screw removed, the arm bottomed out, and the throttle fully open you can still move the arm on the oil pump a ways. Maybe 15 degrees or so[/B]. I can easily see how a bent arm would drastically affect oil consumption. The bent arm acts exactly as a shorter arm would.

This statement alone proves that adjusting the oil pump provides MORE oil throughout the whole RPM range.

P

poman

Mar 24, 2012
This thread alone was worth the price of admission

The little I have to add ,
2012 SB 800, first 500 mi.
On the flipper balls out fast , cafe racer style with the psycho crew , well groomed trails in north Maine.

My math using sleds mileage, estimated mpg and actual oil used shows - 53:1 @12mpg OR 63:1 ratio @10 mpg ; from the factory.
Without knowing the actual fuel/or mpg used this is a rough estimate at best.
Either way, To lean for my liking.

I plan on adding blue to the fuel and closely monitoring the oil usage, I will also be turning the pump up a bit before the start of the season.
My .02

S
Dec 9, 2009
with the amount of Polaris sleds out there that are 80:1 or higher, I can't believe you guys that want to be below 50:1 much less 30:1.

P

poman

Mar 24, 2012
Am I missing something here ?

Got the service manual out , Sec. 2.12 #6 "Loosen the adjuster jam nut. Using an Allen wrench turn the adjuster screw clockwise to raise the oil pump lever arm."

Allen wrench wont do ya much good on a flathead..:face-icon-small-con I'm guessing just a typo ? Where the early 10-11s built with an Allen and not the flathead for adjustment ?

oil pump adj.jpg

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Got the service manual out , Sec. 2.12 #6 "Loosen the adjuster jam nut. Using an Allen wrench turn the adjuster screw clockwise to raise the oil pump lever arm."

Allen wrench wont do ya much good on a flathead..:face-icon-small-con I'm guessing just a typo ? Where the early 10-11s built with an Allen and not the flathead for adjustment ?

LOL no, the 11/12 were a flat blade drive also. Good pic!

P

poman

Mar 24, 2012
LOL no, the 11/12 were a flat blade drive also. Good pic!

Thanks...lol. OK , heres another ocd noobie kinda question..:face-icon-small-hap

Any experts know what the blue and white paint dots next to the yellow keeper paint are for / signify ?

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
I just turned my oiler up about as much as I could, leaving only one or two lines left. It smokes a heckuva lot more now, which tells me it's using more oil. I don't know if this will help anything, but it can't hurt. Shoot, it makes me feel better, and isn't that all that matters, lol!!!????

Premium Features