• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intake Problems on M series?

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
Does anyone ever have problems with snow pluggin up the intake in deep powder? I just got the sled and im setting up right now.

Thanks

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I think all the problems you hear about is it breathing its own exhaust and screwing up the sensor in the ECU which equals BOG big time. I run a timbersled intake on mine and I have had it pretty full over the hood and even around the intake and it works fine unitl the exhaust plugs up.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I had problems on my '06 with the intake plugging, had to often ride one handed in the deep with one hand clearing the intake to keep going. Bad design. Mesh hood was the cure for me.

B
Nov 28, 2007
chehalis wa
i put in extra venting behind the wind shield through the hood and then some holes into the intake. also i built a big air horn with three one inch holes that face the front of the sled and draw air through the front screen behind the bumper. also installed side pannel vents to evacuate heat under the hood this helps with clutch heat big time. for exhaust bog a longer deflector on the exhaust outlet in the tunnel seems to do the trick.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Move your air temp sensor to the side of the airbox this helps also.The heat from your Ypipe sets off the sensor if you have a leak or anything from a warn out donut.....

D
Feb 4, 2008
Blackfoot Idaho
I have the timbersled intake, with extra venting. It works good, except for when its really deep. I mean over the headlight deep. So for about a month out of the year mine is a bog dog. The majority of the post I have read all say they have snow over the hood all the time with no bog at all. When the snow is light and fluffy mine bogs all the time. I know it is a mix of many things (sucking hot air, sucking exhaust, exhaust plugging, snow covered) so I am using different vent material in my front bumper, and blocking the nose off from the motor, to make the front bumper more like an air box.
Where is the best place to get front bumper vents?
Is the sticker kind the way to go?

Last edited:

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I also run the Timbersled intake and I've had it in over the head pow with no issues. I have 2 SLP florites on the front bumper, one on either side along with the stock vents. I used the stock intake screens as vents to let hot air out. So far it works great, no issues:).

U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
Bogging Solution

I've experienced bogging with my 06 M7. I believe that it is a combination of intake bogging and exhaust bogging. To fix this I've done two things.

1. Use the Timbersled intake kit. In addition to this I've added the stock intake vent covers to my nose cone and used pet screen to cover all stock vents instead of the crappy stock metal ones which don't filter out the snow. If you notice in the pic I also used bullseyes in the front bumper. I wouldn't use those if I were you. They are too expensive and tend to freeze up once the snow hits them. Then they tend to collect snow in the nose area.
b_003032.jpg

b_003636.jpg

This fix cured the issues caused by the stock intake design. I feel it is caused by the "shelf" that is below the stock intake screen and causes snow to buildup in deep conditions and clog off the air entering the stock system. I do have a boondocker box and had to make some small changes due to the added air that my machine gets now.

2. Get the exhaust deflector shield for the M1000 (it is a larger piece and can easily be cut to fit over the stock deflector) and add it to the stock deflector on the outside. Your could do this out of any sort of material and don't need to buy a prefabbed piece I just went this direction cause I don't have tools to cleanly bend a flat piece of material. I don't have a pic of this. Sorry.

To finish, I DO NOT have any bogging issues whatsoever since I've done these mods and other than the Timbersled kit it was relatively cheap as far as parts go.

Last edited:
B
Oct 31, 2006
Bass Lake, CA
What did you use to adhere the pet screen to the inside of the hood? whatever you used, it looks really clean! How did you hold the screen in place while the adhesive product you used dried?

U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
I first used a 5 min epoxy and just held it there until it began to set. I later found another "glue" which works much better. I'm at work now. I'll go take a look tonight for its name and report back tomorrow.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
The glue that ive used for over five hoods now is "plumbing goop" it comes in a purple tube. You can get it at any home depot type store. Works good for repairing cracked stock hoods as well.

Premium Features