• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

exhaust power valve removal kit

A
Dec 16, 2007
Anyone know anything about this for the m7. I saw a guy with one on a m8-he said that it svaes weight and gives more power? Does this sound right?

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
it saves weight but i would ? him on the more power, the cat set up is made to open the exhaust at the perfect time so i doesnt need the power of the motor to open it, but it is a nice simple disign that has been around since the early 90s and is proven as well, dont have to think about a wire breaking.

B

Banshee AL

Feb 15, 2003
Halfway OR
Power valves can fail.

but it is a nice simple disign that has been around since the early 90s and is proven as well, dont have to think about a wire breaking.

Sorry I don't agree. With the Cat setup the cables breaking or the valves sticking is always a worry.

I saw a set up on a M1000 the other day that eliminated the powervalves. It had piece built into the block off plate that simulated an wide open powervalve all the time and used some kind of electrical jumper so the computer saw it like it would a normal power valve/servo motor setup.

Anyone know who makes this :confused: I can't remember for the life of me.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Before you blow money on no power valve setup for you m8, block them open for a test, unless you are prepared to redo your fuel delivery, you will probably not be imporessed. Been there.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
If you have a setup that simulates full throttle (valves open) all the time you are going to loose some bottom end torque. The whole idea behind the power valve is this. A 2 stroke motor makes more torque when the exhaust port is LOWER in the cylinder, and more HP when the port is higher in the cylinder. To get both of these they cut an oval shaped port. Then block off the top portion with a valve at lower rpms where the torque is made. Then at a higher RPM when you are building more HP the valve opens and that basicly rasies the exhaust port, so your motor came make more HP.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
If you have a setup that simulates full throttle (valves open) all the time you are going to loose some bottom end torque. The whole idea behind the power valve is this. A 2 stroke motor makes more torque when the exhaust port is LOWER in the cylinder, and more HP when the port is higher in the cylinder. To get both of these they cut an oval shaped port. Then block off the top portion with a valve at lower rpms where the torque is made. Then at a higher RPM when you are building more HP the valve opens and that basicly rasies the exhaust port, so your motor came make more HP.

Which is why i think the supremetoolinc valves are the way to go.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Yep the STM valves are the answer...does what the regular valves do without the extra cables and motor...save 6 ibs..???...anyway l am getting the 900 bigbore into my sled and the builders suggested that if l did want to change that STM was the way to go although the did say that the stock valves are still suitable..

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Yep the STM valves are the answer...does what the regular valves do without the extra cables and motor...save 6 ibs..???...anyway l am getting the 900 bigbore into my sled and the builders suggested that if l did want to change that STM was the way to go although the did say that the stock valves are still suitable..

thats what i was talking about at the top of the page, yeah the M1000 works good when the valves a wide open but the smaller ones like m7 m8 dont do so well and they dont even sell an elimaniter for them they lose way to much on the bottom

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
stm all the way but 6 lbs only if you have the screamin beer and pizza $hits. at best 1 to 2 lbs and if you are packing 2 beers you'll never even notice the lbs.:beer;:beer;

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
ok wishful thinking of 6lbs,..anyway the stm are essentially bombardier valves modified to fit the cats...and they are adjustable so you can get your bottem end..the bd extreme kit leave the lower rpms at risk for power loss because of no adjustment which is not a problem if you have a monster bigbore with torque...but the stm is availiable and usable for use for us lower cc guys..they are made for the 800...the 1000 that had the kit had to be the bd-extreme set

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
hey alpine and firefly

Sorry I don't agree. With the Cat setup the cables breaking or the valves sticking is always a worry.

I saw a set up on a M1000 the other day that eliminated the powervalves. It had piece built into the block off plate that simulated an wide open powervalve all the time and used some kind of electrical jumper so the computer saw it like it would a normal power valve/servo motor setup.

Anyone know who makes this :confused: I can't remember for the life of me.

i took this info off of stm website..should explain why they work as good as the stock ones..We have incorporated the skidoo gas exhaust valve into a easy bolt on for the Arctic Cat 800&900 ZR, F7 and now the F-1000, M-1000 and Crossfire-1000 twins. We also have a direct bolt on for the Speedwerx 1000, Cutler 1150 along with the D&D F-5 1010 & 720 big bore cylinders. Now there is no need to play with cables or the reprogramming of your cdi to change the opening rpm of the valve. You can adjust the opening rpm by turning the adjuster nut on the valve. We have also added a pop up indicator on the front of the valve that simulates the opening and closing of the valve. This feature allows you to synchronize and adjust the opening rpm right on your jack stand.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Evanston Wyo
My buddy is running the BD setup on his 1000. They claim slightly more power on top. All he really noticed was off idle and going slow it was a little blubbery. It looks cool.

Premium Features