• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

any one go ridin when its below zero

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
This is the first weekend i have not ridden since Nov. 27th. Usuaully atleast 2 days a week sometimes 3. anyways had school yesterday and today its still -1 at 11am.
anyone enjoy riding whens its below zero, They predicting -30 tuesday night.

im havin withdrawls and want to ride

S

sldgy

More layers and I'm good to go. Going tomorrow (Martin Luther King Day).
Only problem with below 0 is pulling the rope on my 900 PO:face-icon-small-win.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I've been out with -40 and wind gusts up to 40 below. Couldn't go more than about 30mph into the wind becasue your eyes would start to blur because they were starting to freeze. Once we got on the river and out of the wind it was awesome riding in fresh untouched snow. Danger is cold scoring pistons or leaning out the machine. If you breakdown when it is that extreme you simpy hook up to another sled and go home. You don't sit there and try to troubleshoot anything because of the danger of the environment at that point.

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
Rode friday and it was around -15 when we left in the morning. The high for the day was -3. we put on about 70 miles. trails were awesome, and not much for sled traffic when it is that cold!

W

wildcard

RIP Brian
Nov 26, 2001
Good advice being give here. No screwing around when it's realy cold out, you can die in minutes. Also watch the cold pockets. A basin with traped air may be much colder than the surrounding area and you will get very lean.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Good advice being give here. No screwing around when it's realy cold out, you can die in minutes. Also watch the cold pockets. A basin with traped air may be much colder than the surrounding area and you will get very lean.

I hear that, Reminds me we found out why Cold Creek Canyon gets it's name out in the Black Hills. My cousin and I were bombing though there one night and noticed it was a bit colder down there. He was farting around in the powder and got hung up on a tree. Got him out with 3-5 minutes but soon as we got him unstuck he was mentioning with a few explatives how cold it was lets get out of there. We rode down the trail a few miles and got warmed up again and he discovered he got a touch of frost bite down in Cold Canyon. No place you'd want to be broke down in etc.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Last new years we rode out of west yellowstone. it was around 20 below. great day as long as your movin. Once you stop or someone breaks, gets damm cold quickly.

B

Boondock

Oct 4, 2001
Colorado
www.snowest.com
Yesterday morning in Colorado
cool2.jpg

Dizzle helping the global warming lol
cold1.jpg

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
No way, that is too cold........

I really lose the will to ride when it gets that cold. Rather sit in the bar than ride in that cold of air.....

redlineguy

Lifetime Membership
May 11, 2004
CT
MANY times!! -40 5 days straight one year, it would warm up to -15 around lunch time then dive again, we were on a loop and had to ride through it.

when we are on a trip we never don't ride because of the temp. -10 to -20 alot.

E
Nov 26, 2007
I.F.
...Livin' in west & workin' for a rental outfit, I got spoiled.. Free sled(new one) any day I had off. So I turned into a fair weather rider;).
.. I remember one ride, we left west, the temp was about -million degrees. Got up to tee pee & we were riding in our shirts!!! & still sweatin'. Warmed right up on the mountain.:D

Y
Jan 19, 2008
Black Hills, SD
Two winters ago we went riding and is was -18 when we unloaded in the parking lot. It warmed up some after lunch and was a good day out, but I probably wouldn't head out again at that temp.

X

XXL

Jan 18, 2006
Wilsall, Montana
Went out today,-2 sled ran like crap from the get-go, really really dry powder, really deep, after a couple of miles I remembered the carb heaters, (07 doo xrs, powder sock on the intake) I turned the switch and she smoothed right out, I never had to use them before, I read of guys doing away with the heaters, I won't now!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We were in the -'s yesterday too. Was a little red faced when I got home.

Premium Features