• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I get rid of diesel for 1/2 ton?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Long story short...

Have a 15 Ford 6.7L, and is in the business name. Only has 7,500 miles. We don't need a diesel anymore so was thinking of getting a 1/2 ton, but 1/2 has to be similar price as diesel or will get screwed on taxes.

Should I just keep the diesel or get a 1/2 ton? Kind of having a hard time going to a 1/2 ton that is similar price to a diesel, and do really like the diesel. But would drive the 1/2 ton around a lot more.

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
I prefer my F350 diesel to my 1/2 ton eco boost. But that said the EB is easer to drive in town.
Milage they get about the same but the EB is cheaper by far for tire use and oil changes
My test was pulling my four place with two atvs to Cooke city and the EB did great but ran in 4th gear most of the way ( still quit in the cab) will the F350 pulls it in 6th.
If going from a Super duty to a F150 you will notice little things that are different. But i do like the F150

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Can you buy a half ton that costs as much as a diesel?

If you go brand new loaded up. The diesel is a year older.

My test was pulling my four place with two atvs to Cooke city and the EB did great but ran in 4th gear most of the way ( still quit in the cab) will the F350 pulls it in 6th.

What gearing is your ecoboost?

powdrdaz

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
The door said the axle is a L9.
when I looked it up it said it is a 3.55 electronic locking

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I wouldn't if I were you. I have a half ton and they're useless. Just oversize cars nowadays. Jmho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where you are coming from on that statement.
The halfers with EB, Hemi or even the 6.2 are serious working machines.
Many of the items we pull with our modern halfer would never be hooked behind a 20 year old halfer.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
If you don't NEED the super duty, then there's your answer.

I agree with Mafesto. My last two trucks have been a gas Super Duty. I rented a 2015 F-150 EB Crew Cab for a four thousand mile road trip and loved it. But we didn't tow anything so I don't know how they are there.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Long story short...

Have a 15 Ford 6.7L, and is in the business name. Only has 7,500 miles. We don't need a diesel anymore so was thinking of getting a 1/2 ton, but 1/2 has to be similar price as diesel or will get screwed on taxes.

Should I just keep the diesel or get a 1/2 ton? Kind of having a hard time going to a 1/2 ton that is similar price to a diesel, and do really like the diesel. But would drive the 1/2 ton around a lot more.

only 7,500 miles

I'd say no. You're gonna get hosed getting rid of that thing.

If you trade it, most states only require you to pay taxes on the difference of trade value and purchase amount. Meaning if they pay you $55k for your trade in and you buy a $50k new truck, you won't pay a cent in taxes. If you get $55k trade value and you buy a $60k truck you will pay taxes on $5k.

I can't see a situation where you won't lose a bunch of money on such a new truck.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i would not swap your super duty for a 1/2 ton truck , my old 7.3 was down for awhile and i had to tow my boat with our yukon , it did it but it used twice the gas alot less power and the brakes were just barely strong enough , you don't always need extra size and power but it;s really nice to have when you need it.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Ecodiesel,

1/2 ton ride quality, significantly less than a 3/4-1 ton, full sized 4 door truck, 4x4, more torque than the gassers, 10K lb towing capicity oh yeah... 30mpg isnt bad either!!!

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
You'll get killed on a trade or sale on craigslist for your current truck. The reason why is the advent of the new F250/F350 '17's has caused dealers to deeply discount leftover '16's. I've heard of folks getting 19k off of sticker on '16s.

The only bad thing about keeping your '15 diesel is the darn emission system. I was clogging the DPF (exhaust filter) in as little as 120 miles of city driving last month and limit it mostly to towing or highway driving where exhaust regens are anywhere from 250 miles to 400 miles depending on how heavy of a load I'm dragging.

I upgraded from an Ecoboost to a F350. I have no regrets and won't go back despite the stupid emission system BS. I'm eventually going to lighten my truck exhaust system but gotta save up for that.

Good luck.

PS If you can swing it financially, get a beater 1/2 ton and keep your current diesel. I've bought several great trucks and cars from www.publicsurplus.com which is a website of items for sale by state/city and local agencies.

Last edited:
Premium Features