• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

THE MOUNTAINHORSE CUSTOM PRO-RIDE-CHASSIS RMK BUILD THREAD

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
lighter throttle pull. The new polaris throttle is easy like the cats. In short it gives better response to your touch. Not spring activated like the old style, that wears out and is heavy all day. I know, I know one more electronic thing controlling our sleds that we cant fix. Personally I will take it, because I have ridden it. The new HO motor was really impressive. Sad that the mountian riders have to wait another year to get them :(

I can respect your views given your background in the sport but I would guess the benefit of lighter throttle operation was more of a "by product" than an actual goal of the Polaris eng. team.

I guess either way you slice it, the end justfies the means. :face-icon-small-win

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Question on the electronic oil pump. How does it oil on startup? If the sled has sat for an extended amount of time there will be no oil mist in the case and pistons and bearings in other words could be "dry". It would be like building a new motor and assembling with no lube. Will all the sleds come with a battery that will run the electronic oil pump? I understand the benefit but will engine longevity be sacrificed?

I don't see how it would be different than the current pump?

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I'm just hoping they have an auto summarization feature like ski doo. I'm getting sick of taking the air boxes apart to fog them.

Drill a hole in the side of the airbox and use a solid grommet to cap the hole.

I use a hose to route the fluid to the throttle bodies.

No more fogging problems, can fog in minutes.

TKILLC

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2011
Billings Montana
Point taken on the the oil pump not pumping until motor turns over. Just not convinced that it will be better. I guess time will tell.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Point taken on the the oil pump not pumping until motor turns over. Just not convinced that it will be better. I guess time will tell.

Me either... I just hope it uses A LOT at WFO like the e-tec.

As for a dry start up I was happy to see a puddle of oil in the bottom of the case and everything still nicely coated when I opened mine up last fall after sitting all summer. Legend oil.

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
Electronically driven and controlled oil pump is awesome because it eliminates another gear interface in the motor, and Polaris can control the oil consumption everywhere (start-up, break-in, idle, WOT, etc etc)

Same with the exhaust valves - more control = more power.

What's not to like about 2.5lb reduction from a part that's rotating 8000RPM????

Not to mention, a gear driven pump would (does) rob more power from the motor than an electric pump, no?

Last edited:
M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Not to mention, a gear driven pump would (does) rob more power from the motor than an electric pump, no?

The power still has to come from somewhere...in this case its simply removed from mechanical load and transfered to electrical load. The difference in engine load would be negligeable at best...but then again, so is the power loss from driving the oil pump...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Drill a hole in the side of the airbox and use a solid grommet to cap the hole.

I use a hose to route the fluid to the throttle bodies.

No more fogging problems, can fog in minutes.

I've used tiny brass R/C model fuel fittings with 8-32 threads, drill and taped into the throttle bodies, installed on the airbox side of the throttle plates... hooked up with some good quality silicone R/C fuel line and cap it off with a plug when not in use.
Run a Tee-fitting to both bores and and single line up for access.

This way...I stick the tube from the fogging oil can in the hose... give it a good spray and I'm protected.

Makes it easy to do when I'm on the road and want that extra margin of corrosion protection from outside storage in the short term.. and makes it a snap in the off season.

Dubro R/C fittings and hose.

x1_ef6e2037f2c46e58b6d5b9a76f06ee02.gif

t355_e78ed1fc7ce6cb376797261a21a1f69a.jpg

and use the small windshied-washer supply hose "Y" fittings from NAPA to split the supply.

Last edited:

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com

I've used tiny brass R/C model fuel fittings with 8-32 threads, drill and taped into the throttle bodies, installed on the airbox side of the throttle plates... hooked up with some good quality silicone R/C fuel line and cap it off with a plug when not in use.
Run a Tee-fitting to both bores and and single line up for access.

This way...I stick the tube from the fogging oil can in the hose... give it a good spray and I'm protected.

Makes it easy to do when I'm on the road and want that extra margin of corrosion protection from outside storage in the short term.. and makes it a snap in the off season.

This is a good idea. Just a quick FYI for you guys doing this. Make sure the fuel line you use is not silicone. Petroleum products will permeate it and destroy it fast. (Drop a short piece in some gas and pull it out a day later) Silicone is used for nitro methane fuels that are used in R/Cs. Just make sure it's gasoline compatible fuel line.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Hey BMFAB... any news on the PRO Bumper with strong lower mounts that tie into the bulkhead?? (I like the idea of a subframe like the older IQ bumpers from TCP... stout and could take a hit without tweaking the bulkhead.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
My sled has been on the jig table all spring. But we have been super busy with industrial stuff lately and Mike locked on the ball and chain two weeks ago and I have a child that is due today actually. If I have time to knock it out before fall, I will let ya know for sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

P

polarcat39

Nov 16, 2013
Wyoming
Can you post a pic of the fogging lines?

Do you just use the "Stabil Fogging Spray"? Just stick the spray hose on the aerosol can and spray it while the sled runs for 10 seconds?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Shocking

Getting the remainder of my Components... LUV that UPS!!

...Hope to be building after the weekend (My first vacation is this weekend!!) .

2015 Fox Float Kashima-Coat EVOL-R for the front!

I'm a big fan of the adjustability of the Floats... and the easily tailored spring pressure and progressiveness. They keep getting better IMO.

attachment.php

I'll do a bit of customizing with the new FOX 40th Anniversary "Heritage" graphics in RED to match the sled accents.
Although the Orange set is growing on me for nostalgic reasons. (My ole Elsinore had a orage-graphic Floats on the back:face-icon-small-win)

2151_1600.jpg

Fox Floats.jpg

Last edited:
C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
Looking good mtnhorse! I was getting sick of summer and your thread defiantly made me want to start selling my summer toys to fund my winter toys.

P

polarcat39

Nov 16, 2013
Wyoming
As I wait for my new sled, I'm living vicariously through you.

(it's nice to see I'm not the only one who "wastes" money in the summer lol)

But seriously, NICE work so far!

SwedenPro

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2013
Sweden
Getting the remainder of my Components... LUV that UPS!!

...Hope to be building after the weekend (My first vacation is this weekend!!) .

2015 Fox Float Kashima-Coat EVOL-R for the front!

I'm a big fan of the adjustability of the Floats... and the easily tailored spring pressure and progressiveness. They keep getting better IMO.

attachment.php

I'll do a bit of customizing with the new FOX 40th Anniversary "Heritage" graphics in RED to match the sled accents.
Although the Orange set is growing on me for nostalgic reasons. (My ole Elsinore had a orage-graphic Floats on the back:face-icon-small-win)

2151_1600.jpg

Hey, what part # are those shocks, all the ones I've seen has that red button on the opposite side, I have a -14 non-Pro RMK 800, with stock a-arms, will these fit with the swaybar installed? Nice build so far!

Premium Features