• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

freight & Prep

Juggs

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
about how much is dealer Freight & Prep for a 154 summit X. Wisconsin if that matters

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
seems the places that advertise the lowest prices all have freight and setup fees and are not included in the add price. $500 seems to be the usual price around here.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The Prep might actually be worth paying if there were dealers that actually did a good job of getting the sled ready for the customer.
Recently I've seen brand new sleds (XM's) from 3 different local dealers and all had issues that needed to be addressed, from backwards shocks (no big deal) to clutches that fall off when you take the bolt out (possibly a big deal) to clutches and belts still soaked in oil. Why they don't take the extra 5-10 minutes to do things right is a mystery to me. Rant over. :face-icon-small-dis

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
The Prep might actually be worth paying if there were dealers that actually did a good job of getting the sled ready for the customer.
Recently I've seen brand new sleds (XM's) from 3 different local dealers and all had issues that needed to be addressed, from backwards shocks (no big deal) to clutches that fall off when you take the bolt out (possibly a big deal) to clutches and belts still soaked in oil. Why they don't take the extra 5-10 minutes to do things right is a mystery to me. Rant over. :face-icon-small-dis

Sometimes like that old saying "you get what you pay for" is true. If you do not want to pay for a service why should it be rendered free of charge?
The dealer has to pay freight to have the vehicle shipped to his location. If he does not pass that real cost on to the consumer, he will have to absorb that cost in the price of the unit. There just is not enough profit margin originating from the manufacturer, thus pushing the dealer into alternate options, based on demands from the customer. While I am not advocating sloppy work from myself or anyone, personally I would not be offended if I did not pay for a service and I did not receive it. That seems fair to me.

E
Jun 12, 2009
Tri cities, wa
One thing I have noticed, we (4 new xm's ) all had problems with the side panel snaps not staying closed or they would pop back out. After taking a closer look found out that the " female side" of the circle clip /snap was install upside down (factory? ). The small slit (cut out) in the circle clip should be on the bottom. It fits into the notch. Check it out
Thanks

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I am pretty good at selling stuff and I can't figure out how to anyone makes money selling sleds. My snow check price on a sled is usually $600 over invoice and I don't negotiate at all. I know the dealer gets 5% or so on total sled sales as a kicker but netting less than 10% gross on a bulky product that is expensive to ship and takes a couple hours to put together right and goes stale in about 4 months is a mystery I can't solve. I get that service depts and accessory sales are the real profit centers but I wouldn't even try and sell a product like a sled if I couldn't make at least 15%.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
theres no way anyone in the retail business is selling anything for 10% of gross. you'd be out of business in less than a year.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Sandman I do retail so I know a bit more than the average guy. Ask your sled dealer to show you the invoice on a snow checked sled. It will be $300-600 over invoice. They also get 5% back from the manufacturers at year end. $600 is exactly 5% of $12,000 so it's right at 10%. On the sled alone. So unless the invoice is BS or there is some other compensation it looks like a pretty tough deal.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I bought my 12 sp new last year from a dealer that went out of business and I paid exactly what they paid doo for it and trust me it was well under 10k.

D

dcooper

Mar 6, 2012
Jackson, WY
One thing I have noticed, we (4 new xm's ) all had problems with the side panel snaps not staying closed or they would pop back out. After taking a closer look found out that the " female side" of the circle clip /snap was install upside down (factory? ). The small slit (cut out) in the circle clip should be on the bottom. It fits into the notch. Check it out
Thanks

My dealer told me that ski doo is dealing with that. from what he's heard, they dont pop out once they get cold and contract, and if you switch the circlip around then they might be a PITA to get out once theyre cold because of the contraction, if that makes sense. basically they way they come, it works when theyre cold but not warm(in the garage), if you flip it it works when theyre warm but may bind when they get cold. there may of may not be a fix coming for that in the near future..

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
sandman it's not apples to apples. A 12 sp purchased in 13 was probable sold to the dealer at a reduced cost to clear inventory by BRP. The dealers have some confidentiality stuff they sign so NONE of them is going to touch this tread with a stick. I will dig a little and see what I can find out. I could be wrong but I think I have a pretty good idea of how it works.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
this was a sled that they had got in 11, I bought it in 12, 10 months after they got it. i doubt doo is giving them almost 4 grand off what they originally wanted. i know i got quoted anywhere from 10,600 to 11,000 for the same sled at several other dealers that were still in business when i purchased this one. so even using that price i paid almost 3k under what these dealers were going to sell me the same sled at the same time for. so either someone is full of bs or they are making thousands on holdovers and just a few hundred on currents. since i don't see dealers buying a surplus every year to have tons of left overs i doubt this is the case. just like car dealers tell you the car is just a few hundred over invoice...

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
this was a sled that they had got in 11, I bought it in 12, 10 months after they got it. i doubt doo is giving them almost 4 grand off what they originally wanted. i know i got quoted anywhere from 10,600 to 11,000 for the same sled at several other dealers that were still in business when i purchased this one. so even using that price i paid almost 3k under what these dealers were going to sell me the same sled at the same time for. so either someone is full of bs or they are making thousands on holdovers and just a few hundred on currents. since i don't see dealers buying a surplus every year to have tons of left overs i doubt this is the case. just like car dealers tell you the car is just a few hundred over invoice...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you do not have all the facts behind this sales price. If this business was a gold mine you would have people clamoring all over the manufacturers to sell their product, which they are not.
Like the Allstate ad says, "just because it is said on the internet does not make it true".
Better relook at your facts.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
There is very little money in new sleds, I have bought 3 new Doos and 4 new Poos in the last year, and I saw the dealer cost sheet for 6 of them. Actually, I also bought two brand new, crated 2010 RMK sleds. That was an odd deal, but the dealer made money and I paid MUCH less than they sold for in 2010.
In a normal sale, there is dealer cost with freight, then they usually add on setup so the service department gets paid, then profit. (And taxes, fees, doc fees, if they want, etc.)
The big "if" is the factory. Right now a person can buy a new Poo for less than they could a month ago, because of FACTORY REBATES. The factory wants sleds to move, especially older ones. SO they add incentives. The older the sled, the more incentives, because if a dealer is sitting on old stock, they won't order new ones the following years.
Big dealers can sell sleds for basically cost with freight, and setup so the service department doesn't go out of business, and they are able to make it up on accessories, future service work, silly setup packages, etc. It is amazing how many people will nickel and dime a dealer on the sled, then drop another $2K on clothes and accessories without batting an eye!

Panther

Lifetime Membership
Jul 30, 2013
The less you pay for the sled, the more money you have for clothes and accessories!!!

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane

I sold sleds for several years. 12-15% margin is all there is and that is if you add freight and prep charges.

Most dealerships do it to keep the shop and parts department busy during the winter.

FYI, there are often dealer rebates that the general consumer has no access to so that can drive the sale price down. Also, many dealers are not good at math and will sell for thousands under invoice so they don't have to pay flooring over the summer.

Premium Features