• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EVOLUTION POWERSPORTS & MPI introduce Yamaha Nytro ECU Reprogramming

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I find that interesting that you were having that trouble with that. I installed a temp gauge for the first time last year. My sled rarely got over 180 even on pretty hardpacked trails. Any off trail riding and I was in the 135-140 range. I wonder why we would see so much difference???

I would be interested in that cooler you are selling Matt. I would love to get rid of my radiator in order to move some more weight off of the front of my sled. How much is that setup, and do you know if it works with the push turbo setup alright?

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
So we upgraded 2 ECUs in November.
One for my Supercharged Nytro and one for Chim Chim's new Turbo Nytro.

Both of us are reporting Temp Warnings this weekend from the first run.

My sled goes in and out of Temp Warning depending on what I am doing.
In DEEP snow the warning goes off more often than not.
On trail or any normal riding, the warning light is ON almost 100% of the time.

Chim Chim was seeing his Warning Light ON 100% of the time, it NEVER went out.

Both of us had the "Safety" flash done which lowers the warning temp 20 degrees before setting off the light for added safety.

Clearly in our cases this is not working out so well as the light is coming on when the engine is really in no danger, and if the light is on all the time, then the warning is of no value as you see the light constantly.

Soooo

The question now becomes one of ADDITIONAL COOLING.

What should we be doing to pull down the coolant temps?

I think theres more going on there. I have my koso x2 installed so I can monitor my coolant temps all the time. The only time I ever see 170 degrees or higher is when Im riding on a trail with zero snow to kick up. I run with scratchers almost all the time on the trail and never have any issues.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I think theres more going on there. I have my koso x2 installed so I can monitor my coolant temps all the time. The only time I ever see 170 degrees or higher is when Im riding on a trail with zero snow to kick up. I run with scratchers almost all the time on the trail and never have any issues.

Have my Koso in hand, hope to have it installed by this weekend as well. Might take longer depending on the Coolant Line adapter. But I WILL have a water temp gauge shortly to know FOR SURE whats going on here.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So Greasemonkey where do you have your temp sensor installed? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. When I had mine apart doing the turbo I noticed one of the lines coming off of the tunnel cooler had a hose connector in it already so I just pulled that out and installed it there. I am wondering now if that could be the very end of the cooling system which would make the temp read dramatically lower than just coming out of the engine.

Does anyone have a coolant flow diagram for the Nytro???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So Greasemonkey where do you have your temp sensor installed? I am wondering now if that could be the very end of the cooling system which would make the temp read dramatically lower than just coming out of the engine.
Interesting thought.
Which is of more value to know.

Peak Temp coming off the engine
or
Cooled temp returning to the engine?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Looks like it is mounted on a drop bracket.
Wonder if I can make that work with the Skinz Under Tunnel Exhaust system installed?

It's not mounted to the drop bracket. Everything is mounted to the tunnel with rivets.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
You should be measuring your coolant temp as it leaves the motor.
Yes before it goes into the radiator " if you still have one"

So Greasemonkey where do you have your temp sensor installed? I wonder if that has anything to do with it. When I had mine apart doing the turbo I noticed one of the lines coming off of the tunnel cooler had a hose connector in it already so I just pulled that out and installed it there. I am wondering now if that could be the very end of the cooling system which would make the temp read dramatically lower than just coming out of the engine.

I have a hand drawn one that I use to remenber how it runs.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
I find that interesting that you were having that trouble with that. I installed a temp gauge for the first time last year. My sled rarely got over 180 even on pretty hardpacked trails. Any off trail riding and I was in the 135-140 range. I wonder why we would see so much difference???

I would be interested in that cooler you are selling Matt. I would love to get rid of my radiator in order to move some more weight off of the front of my sled. How much is that setup, and do you know if it works with the push turbo setup alright?

The cooler is $465.00 and the degass bottle is $29.95 so you can remove your radiator. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work with your Push kit.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada

I mounted it in the hose that leaves the thermostat housing and goes into the left side of the radiator.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It's not mounted to the drop bracket. Everything is mounted to the tunnel with rivets.
Not THE Drop Bracket for the suspension, but a drop bracket that appears to have been made by MPI from the looks of your photos.

It looks like you guys have made a change or two from the older style that mounted up into the corner of the tunnel. The photo you posted makes it look like it mounts flat under the tunnel now, on a lowered bracket.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Not THE Drop Bracket for the suspension, but a drop bracket that appears to have been made by MPI from the looks of your photos.

It looks like you guys have made a change or two from the older style that mounted up into the corner of the tunnel. The photo you posted makes it look like it mounts flat under the tunnel now, on a lowered bracket.

Yes we did. We wanted to make it compatible with the rear mount turbo kits and still maintain the same surface area of our original design.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes we did. We wanted to make it compatible with the rear mount turbo kits and still maintain the same surface area of our original design.
Got it.
Of the ones I have seen today, the MPI looks like it has the MOST SURFACE COOLING area by FAR and away.

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
So we are looking for the MAXIMUM temp as it leaves the engine.

Yes. When the coolant leaves the motor it runs into the t-stat then into the radiator. We put the sensor right after the t-stat.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

The stock routing goes like this: When it leaves the motor it goes into the t-stat, LH side of radiator, tunnel cooler, bulkhead cooler then back into the motor.<O:p</O:p

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes. When the coolant leaves the motor it runs into the t-stat then into the radiator. We put the sensor right after the t-stat.<o:p</o<o:p</o<o:p</o

By any chance would you know what the INSIDE DIAMETER of that hose line is??

First accessory I need for the install, Koso Water Temperature Sensor Adapter.
http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/koso...ensor-adaptor/

Just have to figure out which size to get ordered.
14, 16, 18, 22 or 26mm???
27-5715.jpg

P
Jan 2, 2014
Quick Question

Fellas,

I am considering buying a new (2011) nytro w/MPI supercharger from my local dealer. They performed the supercharger install in 2011 and it has been sitting on their showroom floor since. My question is, is this new flash upgrade to the ECU just for the higher boost sled? Or is this something that would also benefit the lower boost sled that I am considering buying? Also, is there anything else that I should ask the dealer about before buying with regards to the MPI supercharger that they installed? I appreciate any word of wisdom you may have.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The ECU flash is not NEEDED or REQUIRED. Mine ran just fine without it for years. But it does add a greater margin of safety which may result in more years of happy service life down the road. Other than the cost I see no real downside to it and potentially lots of upside over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

Premium Features