• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gripper ski design makes the PRO useless

J
Feb 15, 2003
Greenfield, MN(55357)
I also had the same problem. I think a lot of the problem comes from certain snow types and riding style. So...I was searching around on here and found a post where someone said use the CA ski rubbers. I ordered and installed and the problems went away.

Whiz,
Did the C&A rubbers fit the Gripper ski without mods to the ski or the new rubber mount(s)? In other words was it a direct fit?

Thanks much for the info,
-John

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
IMO your body position is more of the issue. Try moving your feet further back on the running boards..

I have never experienced this problem

I was finally able to spend some time on the new Pro this weekend and I experienced the same problem with the inside ski tip pointing straight up and plowing in a hard carve. I experimented by moving my feet around and carving and for sure moving my feet back helped eliminate the ski from plowing but it didn't completely go away.

I will continue to look for a solution to this problem. My other sleds with stock Polaris and aftermarket skis did not do this. It must be the pivot point on the Gripper skis and or the soft rubber ski bumper.

B

Bandicoot

Sep 28, 2009
Calgary
I've gone through one set of stock rubbers in 400 miles, one of my other buddies is on his second set and another is on his third set after 500 miles.

Before my last ride I checked the rubbers to see if they were starting to rip and they were ok, but the snow conditions were wind blown and a bit crusty 6" down. It didn't take long for both rubbers to totally rip in these conditions when down hill turning through trees for an hour. Both ski's were totally bending up to the hood when the tips of the skis hit any crusted snow. These rubbers are too soft and I don't think they are thick enough either. Will be trying C&A rubbers, but I always have a spare set of OEM rubbers with me...they are only a couple bucks.

J
Feb 28, 2009
Good news for all of you I have the solution to your problem. All you need to do is take a piece of 1/16" thick aluminum or plastic and cut it to the size of the rubber bumper and stick it underneath the rubber bumper in the ski and slide the bolt through. If will take care of your problem. My riding buddies and myself did this when we first got our 2011's and problem solved no need for aftermarket skis or rubbers the grippers work great with this mod.

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
I have had this happen a couple times. Sucks for sure when it stops you in your tracks and slams you into your bars!

I got a great deal on a slightly used set of powder pros with carls cut for $200 shipped here to AK. No more problems :)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm curious to find out why the C&A rubber stops are different for the 2011 RMK vs. the 2012/13??

The rubber-stops on the 2007 - 2013 Gripper skis are the same... the skis are different after 2011 on the RMK's... they are metric.

Wonder what why the diff in the 2011 Gripper rubber-stops???

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
On a positive note my awesome dealer (HPAK) covered my rubbers under warranty. Ill be selling them with my grippers though and going with CnA's I think. I'll post a picture of the two side by side if possible.

My diagnosis is the hinge point on the ski is too far back, allowing snow to apply too much pressure forward of the hinge point. Also, the rubber is too skinny - it should be the width of the spindle.

M

MATCO

Jan 2, 2010
edmonds, wa
Sounds like all you need to do is counter-steer. I have never had had an issue with the 10+ pros I have ridden. If you turn into the hill, it will fight you!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Some have NO problems ... other are having issues... Depends on snow conditions and style of riding IMO.

Some of the top riders have the "folding" problem and their technique is pretty darn good.

Like Steven Darcy (S.Diddy) gives in his great description.

BTW... I ordered a pair of the C&A Rubber stops today from C&A... $10 each... worth a try.

Honestly I believe the gripper is the best stock ski any manufacturer has ever had come stock on a sled.

With that being said though, the rubber bump stops drive me insane always blowing out, and if you have the front severely weighted...ie: say heading downhill on your side and are trying to hook back uphill and encounter anything in the way of hard snow, an old track, a hole, etc the ski folds verticle and "stuffs" you pretty good throwing you over the bars lol

So in saying that I vote for the C&A mtx's. They float ridiculously well, and nice and mellow for easy initiation of carves/sidehills and allow you to stab thru things instead of the ski folding...oh and the rubbers are near bomb proof!

Here's a little pic to show you how much float they provide!!
171715_187416681283541_5076182_o_zps4b19527f.jpg

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
MH, here are the requested pics. The CnA rubbers are wider and seem to be made of a stiffer material. They are also a really tight fit against the spindle versus the grippers. I took two guys to get the spindle seated and the bolt through. The gripper ones just flop around under the spindle.

20130201_180715_zps5a26e9c7.jpg

20130201_180833_zpsaa72418e.jpg

20130201_180843_zps47366128.jpg

20130201_180906_zps14a56762.jpg

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
You mean it's doing this:

6FEA0EAB-9FC2-488A-A0A9-3B7942B76A27-1534-000000BE44448DA8_zps3df3eefd.jpg

Lol. I was on a steep side hill cutting between 2 tree and caught a branch with my downhill side ski. Not enough to stop me or knock me off course but it did do this, and it freaked me out so I stuck the sled to inspect. I've never had a ski be at that angle without setting being bent, but it went right back into place.

Fwiw I put my trusty old SLP SLT skis on this week an love them. Way better than stock IMO.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
BTW... I ordered a pair of the C&A Rubber stops today from C&A... $10 each... worth a try.

Eric, do you have contact info for ordering these from C&A?

This happened to me three times on Saturday. Twice in a row just doing 10' donuts (and counter-steering).

I toasted a Ti A-arm on my '11 when I went up the bank off the road and came back down through a shallow ditch and came to an abrupt stop and did a 360 over the bars. Yes, this problem is for real and has nothing to do with counter steering or feet positioning. After looking at the pics of the C&A rubbers, I see why.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Just the phone number on their website... the gal there was very helpful.

My rubber stops arrived today... they are different in cross section from the stock ones... they create a different angle with the ski which would be pointed up more at free-hang.

Hope to have them installed here in a couple of days ... gotta pay the bills with "bread and butter" work first!!

Last edited:
Premium Features