• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

another shaft failure

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If the glue is soft. I would bet a lot that it is bad. The glue on my 11 was hard as a rock in all places it oozed out.

I'm GUESSING; they failed to get the quick connect all the way seated on one part or the other of the two compound glue system, thus it never hardened. It is either all base or all hardener. It no work a so good a like that! The hand built shafts for the prototypes likely had well trained competent employees doing the work, proficient with what to be aware of and ensured as near perfection as possible. Then for production they automated it and put a couple minimum wage employees with minimal training and complete lack of give a **** to oversee it. Resulting in X number of sticky, half glued, never will cure, weak shafts. If and when they pushed the quick connect on the rest of the way, so that both parts were again flowing as intended the shafts will be nearly as good as the hand built ones. Just hope your's isn't sticky and soft or check it for some piece of mind.

Last edited:

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
This has been beat to death in the other thread. People want something to bitch about so there going to. Polaris has all of the 12 shafts(most likely the same as the rush) on back order as of right now. Nothing new and ground breaking here.

It is a legit bitch... Ever tried to tow a sled out of the back country with a broken drive shaft? Not easy buddy! Fixing in the shop is easy though. I would be swapping out that aluminum shaft for the steel one.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This has been beat to death in the other thread. People want something to bitch about so there going to. Polaris has all of the 12 shafts(most likely the same as the rush) on back order as of right now. Nothing new and ground breaking here.

Logan,

He's simply pointing out that the RUSH driveshaft will fit.

I'll bet the RUSH shaft is not on back order... It is a completely different part number because it comes with different drivers mounted to it... but dimensionally , it will fit into a belt drive sled.

SSAMBUD sent me some pix of a 2005 900 RMK shaft installed in his 2013 PRO RMK... and, except for the driver change, it bolted right in as well... but He needed to use a SAE threaded fastener to hold on the lower sprocket as the 2005 shaft is SAE threaded AND pressed on a sealed PTO side bearing.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
As pointed out above... If your 2013 driveshaft has soft adhesive "squeeze out" I'd take it to the dealer and show them... if the squeeze-out is soft..the it is a safe bet the driveshaft is not bonded well.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Logan,

He's simply pointing out that the RUSH driveshaft will fit.

I'll bet the RUSH shaft is not on back order... It is a completely different part number because it comes with different drivers mounted to it... but dimensionally , it will fit into a belt drive sled.

SSAMBUD sent me some pix of a 2005 900 RMK shaft installed in his 2013 PRO RMK... and, except for the driver change, it bolted right in as well... but He needed to use a SAE threaded fastener to hold on the lower sprocket as the 2005 shaft is SAE threaded AND pressed on a sealed PTO side bearing.

This is correct however the 900 also uses a SAE bearing and the '10 and newer rush switched to a metric bearing. The shaft will work just need the 2.86 drivers. EZ...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Here is a pic of a rush steel drive shaft without the drivers. I can install any pitch driver needed. I would not use an aluminum drive shaft. It just seems stupid to me. Those ends will stress crack eventually.

View attachment 187814
View attachment 187815

Mentzel... are you Positive that is a RUSH shaft... looks like a 2005 900 Drive shaft to me.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
problem is you can't buy just the 2.86 drivers from Polaris. Only the whole shaft. You can get them from WPS though..

So use a 10' or newer rush drive shaft and install Polaris or WPS 2.86 drivers on the shaft. That is the quick fix if you don't want to wait.

$300 for the one I have ready to go with Polaris drivers if somebody needs it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353395194.122184.jpg

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Mentzel... are you Positive that is a RUSH shaft... looks like a 2005 900 Drive shaft to me.

They are the same dimensions but the 900 uses a SAE bolt as you said and a SAE bearing. The 10' > Rush uses a Metric bolt and metric bearing. Both shafts are same length and use same bearing carrier. IQ rmk shaft is similar as 900 only 1/2 longer and used center window 2.86 driver.

The 900 shaft would be an easy swap also requiring no driver change. But harder to find..

SSABMUD

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2010
Red Deer, Alberta
Here is a pic of a rush steel drive shaft without the drivers. I can install any pitch driver needed. I would not use an aluminum drive shaft. It just seems stupid to me. Those ends will stress crack eventually.

View attachment 187814
View attachment 187815
This shaft will bolt right in. Just change end bearing to rubber sealed unit as it is not greaseable on the 2013.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
I looked at my driveshaft last night, and the two little dots of glue sticking out of the holes are soft! I was able to dig my finger nail into it. The glue on the used on the chassis structure components is hard as a rock, I could barely get a small screwdriver to make a mark on it.

Premium Features