• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

another shaft failure

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
They inject the glue after assembling those two pieces? I'd love to see a video of that working, because I have a hard time picturing it. Unless they can hook a vacuum up to one hole and pressure-inject into the other, what is to guarantee that viscous epoxy will flow 3" in each direction from each hole around this tiny channel?

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Well as long as everyone remains level headed and no one starts freaking out and over reacting...

I'm actually enjoying these threads. They are great entertainment. (Not the individual's problem but rather the internet commentary.) I'll ride mine and if it breaks, I will fix it. Actually my dealer will. i have a great dealer. Otherwise I will ride it and not worry about it. Nothing I can do about it anyway. Lots of things to worry about and stress about in life. This is pretty low on my list. In the meantime I'll continue to get my entertainment from these freak out threads until we finally get some Damn snow!

PV

B

bigdave

Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver Wa
dont know what to do with my 13 pro...looking at the shaft i can see where they like wiped off access glue and it seems hard but i be dambed if im going to take my brand new sled up to mountain this weekend and get stuck out on the mountain....this is really fu****. Im going to call dealer and ask if he is going riding with me to tow my *** back in after i break mine...i think he did have some hold over 12's HUMMMM

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
We all know that the dealer will fix it, just how long will it sit at the dealer waiting on parts is a big concern for guys. Last spring, I knew Polaris would put a new motor in my sled, just had to 6 weeks to get it back. The season was over by that time.

B

bigdave

Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver Wa
Just that...How long will it take Polaris to figure out there is a problem. That glua all over my sled and i ride HARD...Just what my wife want to hear...Your man is dead becouse polaris delivered a POS AND HE DIED BECOUSE SOMETHING FAILED...Who is going to tell my 2 year old the same and take care of the two of them

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I'm not willing to take the chance of mine breaking while I'm on the mountain. I pulled my shaft and sent it to VOHK where they will be installing their shaft support. I believe that is a much better option than a. hoping it doesn't break or b. breaking one and being sidelined while I wait for another shaft, not to mention the joys of getting a sled back from the deep woods with a non-rotating track. Anyone else curious about this should call and talk to them and determine if this is an option you may be interested in.

bmanke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Just that...How long will it take Polaris to figure out there is a problem. That glua all over my sled and i ride HARD...Just what my wife want to hear...Your man is dead becouse polaris delivered a POS AND HE DIED BECOUSE SOMETHING FAILED...Who is going to tell my 2 year old the same and take care of the two of them

Wow there may be a problem but could you possibly whine any more.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada

If you actually feel that strongly about it then I would suggest you do not ride your sled. No point risking certain death.

Im not too sure how many of you have actually broke a driver before but it does not usually result in a crash of any sort. I have broke two and seen at least 3 others break on previous sleds, not one injury or even one crash of any sort.

Dont get me wrong, its never good to break down in the back country, but it happens all the time for one reason or another. I just dont think this is the big safety issue that some are trying to make it out to be.

Last edited:
R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007

wow now people are gonna die becaue the shaft may or may not break? This is getting exciting! Im not home during the day to watch soaps.....this is where I come for my drama!

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska

So you have little worry about riding hard and getting hurt? You really should stay at home for life. Chit happens regardless. Stop trying to make this seem worse then it is. Saying stupid stuff like this is what blows things way out of wack. I don't even own the damn sled. Non the less a Polaris any more and this is just redic.

Act your age people.

I'm gonna keyboard ride with pura vida from now on out :)

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I can build up the Iq/Rush round drive shafts fairly easy. Anyone have an end to end dimension? If it is same as rush which I believe it is, I have the parts. In fact I'll bet the rush drive axle will go right into the new rmk. The end hubs are welded in and are a lot stronger than this design. The round axles don't way that much more. I can't believe Polaris would use a bonding agent on that part and switch to a hex shaft design.

B

bigdave

Oct 18, 2009
Vancouver Wa
Not my intention to sound dramatic just pissed like a lot of other 13 owners knowing the shaft will fail and have to get in line to get new one put in at dealer. Just walked out to mine and the glue is still soft enough to scrape of with finger nail. I will know this weekend...got enough now to go break in or break shaft...HAHA

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Here is a pic of a rush steel drive shaft without the drivers. I can install any pitch driver needed. I would not use an aluminum drive shaft. It just seems stupid to me. Those ends will stress crack eventually.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353392532.288552.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353392554.102826.jpg

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
Here is a pic of a rush steel drive shaft without the drivers. I can install any pitch driver needed. I would not use an aluminum drive shaft. It just seems stupid to me. Those ends will stress crack eventually.

View attachment 187814
View attachment 187815

This has been beat to death in the other thread. People want something to bitch about so there going to. Polaris has all of the 12 shafts(most likely the same as the rush) on back order as of right now. Nothing new and ground breaking here.

Premium Features