• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

broken drive shaft

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
2013 Drive shaft recall?

I had someone tell me yesterday that the new 2013 Driveshaft was failing on the mag side. I never believe any of these stories until I know if it has been verified by the OEM.
The story is that the push in steel stub end is pulling out of the shaft. Any one hear of this? I'm hoping it is made up.

Thanks

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
i don't hav the details yet, but my son was out last nite for a road ride, parked the sled, than started the sled this morning , went to move and no go, he says everything is spinning other than the drive shaft, he says it appears a weld broke. I will investigate this tomorrow when I get home tomorrow, but ? is , has anybody else have this happen ....

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
no welds on the 2013 pro driveshaft. two ends pressed into an extrusion and glued. Its a large hexagonal shape so i don't see how it could possibly spin

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
may be not a weld, but a joint, I was told. It was just a lame ride up a road, no rocks or logs, when I get more details I'll post it.

B

benny7cfan

Sep 11, 2009
MN
byrd, keep us posted on your findings. Hopefully this is just an isolated case. However, I did see something similar to this yesterday in a post of a possible recall(not sure I should even say that) for drive shafts.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You can't weld aluminum very easily, unless you can also walk on water. Aluminum is half the strength of steel, at best. I am thinkin, steel replacement driveshafts on backorder until Christmas. No wait. I'll bet that there are no steel replacements that fit the belt drive because they were all aluminum. The steel driveshafts only fit to chaincases. Just thinkin out loud.

L
Nov 25, 2010
W. Washington
If it was fine when he parked it, but wouldn't move the next morning, my bet is all he did was melt the hifax. If he broke the driveshaft, it seems that he would have broke down on the trail, not the next morning.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
No wait. I'll bet that there are no steel replacements that fit the belt drive because they were all aluminum. The steel driveshafts only fit to chaincases. Just thinkin out loud.

The steel and aluminum drive shafts are the same dimensions. Only difference is the aluminum shaft isnt machine for a chaincase seal.

Last edited:
Premium Features