• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are you guys packin your Garmin 530?

A

_AJ_

Nov 27, 2007
Mt. Baker
www.northwestglaciercruisers.com
I'm trying to find some kinda pouch to attach the rino 530 to my pack shoulder strap. Anyone know of such a thing?

I took off the bar bag where I kept it before and now gotta find another way.

What are you guys doin? I've seen the handle bar mount online but am leary about losing the radio when I roll the sled...lol :eek:

AJ

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I put it in any available pouch/pocket on my pack... one of the outside ones, and it works fine.

I have one of those mounts on a side by side and it works great, but don't know what rolling a sled would do to it.

sled_guy

G

GMCRMK

Nov 28, 2007
SL,UT - IP,ID
Anybody have a picture of the ram mount on the dash?

I'm thinking this would work hard mounted to the dash.

ram-hol-ga20u.jpg

A

_AJ_

Nov 27, 2007
Mt. Baker
www.northwestglaciercruisers.com
I thought I'd share some info a gentleman on the "other site" had this to say;

"I would go with some type of ram mount or at least have the option . last year we had a guy in our group loose a tool bag and i was trying to drive and back track it was a major pain, but we found the tools a mile or two back. 2 way can also interfere with avalanche beacons. taken from an article a read a while back might be something to consider when choosing where to put it

Another issue is radio frequency interference (”RFI”). With so many different electronic devices carried by backcountry recreationalists these days, complete testing of every possible device is infeasible so I’ll cover this briefly here. I have found that a *transmitting* cell phone (CDMA band) or FRS/GMRS radio can cause interference to varying degrees in some (but not all) beacons. But no beacons suffer RFI from an on-yet-not-transmitting phone or two-way radio. Far more importantly, playing an iPod will cause RFI to vary degrees in *all* avalanche beacons at close range. My general conclusions with RFI are: Be very careful if deciding to call for help while simultaneously searching with an avalanche beacon; and if you are touring with any brand of avalanche beacon, never listen to an iPod. (I am very serious about this: the potential for an iPod to be inadvertently left on and then cause interference in a beacon search is dangerous."

Something to think about for sure.

AJ

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Mine is bar mounted via ram mount. Use the cord thingy though for when you rip it off with your knee:shocked:

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
I hardwired my garmin in and then used a ram mount on the dash. Can't read it at idle but at least keeps it charged all day.
IMAG0056.jpg

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I keep my rino in the snobunji pouch!!! when i need it I put it on my Bar!!!! I dont use the two way on the rino but I do keep the volume down so the locate still works with the other Rino in our group!!!!I use the two way that I keep in my backpack that way if I get separated i have a radio, it also works very good to hear and speak as I ride......

newcam3002.jpg

newcam3005.jpg

hmkbag028.jpg

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I had a hard time finding a mic\speaker for the rino that is why i just use an 2way radio and mic\speaker from radio shack.....that way you dont have to dig the gps out of your pack..

mtboondocker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2009
in a van down by the river
thank you AJ

what do you think about interference if you are listening to your phone instead of an ipod. All of us listen to our ipod in my group this is really good to read about. thanks again

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
It's in some other threads in the avy section, but if you read your beacon manual, it will give you the warnings about other electronic devices. They just don't mesh, and it isn't worth the risk.

Cell phones are off for us (unless we are stopped in a safe area and want to turn the phone on to see if we have service, or to send a pic, etc.). Radios are mostly in our handlebar bags...but if in a pocket...needs to be on the opposite side of the body from the beacon. We haven't mounted our 530's yet, just got them last year.

If you ever have to do a search....ALL other electronics off (or if someone really feels it's needed, make sure they get a long way from the search area before using).

I have three different beacons (Ortovox F1, Tracker, and a Mammut Pulse), and four types of 2 way radio besides the Garmin 530. With doing my own testing, there was interference on all beacons, from all radios with a keyed mike. We also did this with our local Avy Center when doing some training, and with other beacons that folks had with the same results. I haven't tested with other electronic that we have. The warning in the beacon manual, and the radio testing was enough for me to not want to take the risk.

Thanks for the pics of mounting for these. One of those things that needs to get done before we get out riding.

Sandy :)

907riders.com

Mar 23, 2009
Wasilla, AK
www.907riders.com
It's in some other threads in the avy section, but if you read your beacon manual, it will give you the warnings about other electronic devices. They just don't mesh, and it isn't worth the risk.

Cell phones are off for us (unless we are stopped in a safe area and want to turn the phone on to see if we have service, or to send a pic, etc.). Radios are mostly in our handlebar bags...but if in a pocket...needs to be on the opposite side of the body from the beacon. We haven't mounted our 530's yet, just got them last year.

If you ever have to do a search....ALL other electronics off (or if someone really feels it's needed, make sure they get a long way from the search area before using).

I have three different beacons (Ortovox F1, Tracker, and a Mammut Pulse), and four types of 2 way radio besides the Garmin 530. With doing my own testing, there was interference on all beacons, from all radios with a keyed mike. We also did this with our local Avy Center when doing some training, and with other beacons that folks had with the same results. I haven't tested with other electronic that we have. The warning in the beacon manual, and the radio testing was enough for me to not want to take the risk.

Thanks for the pics of mounting for these. One of those things that needs to get done before we get out riding.

Sandy :)

That is great information! Thank you!

W
Jan 13, 2010
GPS or Rino

Great info Thanks!

Now I have a question, as of yet I don't ride with anyone with a Rino, I know there are riders out there with them. What would be better a Garmin Mapgps 62 or a Rino 530.

Looking to buy real soon.

Thanks Wes

Premium Features