• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Track length for Turbo's

What track length

• 153"

Votes: 43 11.7%
  • 162"

Votes: 203 55.5%
  • 174"

Votes: 85 23.2%
  • 174+ if they made it

Votes: 35 9.6%

• Total voters

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
Today I did the switch on my T Apex.I took off the stock track and put on a Challenger Extreme 174" 2.5.
I had never done one on a Apex and was a litle worried about dealing with the reverse case but it was a real easy job.
Wife called me home for supper so tomorrow I will finish installing the skid.
I bought a Holz skid with Yamaha rails with extensions off of a Snowest member.The guy that ran it before did so without limiter straps,I've never seen a setup like it.It uses 3 Fox air shocks.I can't wait to get out and pull the trigger.

apex skid shots 001.jpg apex skid shots 002.jpg apex skid shots 003.jpg apex skid shots 004.jpg apex skid shots 005.jpg

R

relentless rider

Jan 25, 2009
in the mountians western mt
Today I did the switch on my T Apex.I took off the stock track and put on a Challenger Extreme 174" 2.5.
I had never done one on a Apex and was a litle worried about dealing with the reverse case but it was a real easy job.
I bought a Holz skid with Yamaha rails with extensions off of a Snowest member.The guy that ran it before did so without limiter straps,I've never seen a setup like it.It uses 3 Fox air shocks.I can't wait to get out and pull the trigger.

cool looks good,will work even better. The stock mav track is like running slicks,your going to pull alot harder now.

M
Oct 28, 2008
I switched my T apex from 162 to a 174 and i will never look back, all around performance is the same but floatation and climbing is unreal.

big-zig

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2009
Minneapolis
I've had the opposite experience on my boosted apex's (2 mcx, 1 bd). First one (mcx) ran mav track then 15w camo extreme 162's both. Next turbo I put on 174 and it changed the handling completely. I didn't care for it at all. My current turbo has a 16w camo extreme and it's the solution for me. Has the float of the 174 (almost) but still boondocks. My 300+ hp spins it easily.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
i ride a 08 d7 slp twins a 174 sled frickin rips in the trees i would like to put a 174 rolled chaincase on a 500fan cooled just to see the looks on peoples faces as my lil 500 go's tractoring past them in the trees

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

I've got that same skid on my TApex with 162 Cat straight rails. It works REALLY well for controlling wheelies. I run between 230 and 250psi in that rear shock. I do have limiter straps in mine though?

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
174 or 162

I ran a camo extreme 162 then changed to 174. The 162 is definetly better for boondocking when it comes to throttle control (i.e. in & out tight ****).

However, the 174 is absolutely better for all out climbing and a must for southern colorado crystal powder. I have found that the 174 definetly is way better in avoiding getting stuck (i.e. "floatation rules").
In addition, you will use less throttle to get around in the deep stuff compared to the other guys using shorter tracks and maxxing their RPMS. Basically the 174 acts like a mini snow cat. A little rough on the hard pack trial going up to the hills though:face-icon-small-win

The 174 gets my overall vote---but I wouldn't mind having both for different purposes.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
I have been running 162X16X2.5 on my last 2 Tnytros and have been very happy but, I hear lots of comments about the improved flotation and low speed tractability of the 174's. My son and I are building 2 new Tnytros and are going to try a 174X16X2.5 on one and a 174X16X3 on the other and find out for ourselves. The sleds are going to be pretty much identical except for the tracks so should be an interesting comparison.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
All I can say is long tracks are boring like driving a tractor.

I have a RX1 wit a 151 running 16 to 18 pounds of boost Talk about fun.

The Apex has a 156 by 15 with 2.5 inch paddles and it just rips.

If all you ever do is climb crazy shoots fine.

In most cases the guys running 174 tracks are week-end warriors trying to

make up for lack of seat time and stamina with a bigger track that requires

less finesse.

Cheers.............

My Girlfriend is pissed at me now , she has a 162 by 2.25 under here Phazer:cheer2:

M
Aug 31, 2001
Utah
TNytro Track

I have ran the 162 x 2.5, then switched to a 174 x 2.5, I love the longer track. I believe in setting up your sled for your favorite days, not setting it up for what the average is, then being disappointed on the great days. It may be true, compensating track length for finesse. But when the powder is 4 ft plus, it sure is nice to be able to half throttle around to investigate new areas, rather than WFO trying to keep the track speed up and keep you moving.

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
After riding the TNytro with a 174 X 16 X 2.5 I am surprised at the improvement in flotation and tractability, especially at lower speeds off trail. Rides a lot smoother as well. Can't say I really noticed any loss of manoeverability over the 162 on the same sled, the thing turns on a dime in the deep snow. I am itching to try a 3" version of the 174 on the same setup. Like Mudman I want my sled to shine when the powder is deep, I don't need any enhancement for setup snow.

Last edited:
S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
The 3" makes a noticeable difference in deeper snow. I am finding it doesn't spin as much when taking off. It also seems to provide a lot more low speed traction, nice when put-putting through tighter treed areas when exploring. Under full power the difference is less noticeable.....both are beasts :D

graham_r

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2008
British Columbia
I installed a 162x16x2.5 a few weeks ago.
Have a couple rides on it now and really don't like the 16
Had a 162x15x2.25 earlier this year and really liked it.
I have a really hard time turning the sled around on side hills, or even side hilling down hill, with the 16.
Anyone else finding this?

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I run a 162 16 2.3 on my rx1 and real deep days it works great.stock 800s with 174 may spank it but I dont care. If you can get the track to spin right a way instead of moving forward instantly you can turn , side hill etc with less effort. Chris Burant doesn't ride a 174 but different strokes for different folks.

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Awesome!!!

Wow, some real interesting info here. I think everyone has good points. I have run everything except a 174. My old fav was a 156. Nowadays it's comparable to the 155. At one time I would have stayed away from anything too long for the handling.

I am a light rider at 135-140lbs. These days I run a 162 x 16 x 2 1/2. It is growing to a 3" lug this season. I do not see a 174 on the sled I am running in the near future as I already have the CR tunnel and CR-M-10. Maybe the next one will try the 174.

I have found that after some seat time on my ride I have no real serious problems with the longer track. The wider track doesn't seem to bother me either. I will admit that the first season I had the sled I had problems. I can't even pinpoint what I had problems with because it seemed the whole package was trying to beat me to death. The fact is I learned to ride a big and heavy sled and now love it!!! Nothing compares to the big 4 stroker on boost.

I orderred a new Pro this year and got the big track... 162". If it had come with the 174 option I would have got it. Bigger is better!!! Go big or go home!!! Why waste time and $$$. Weekend warrior???? Maybe... but I have thousands and thousands of miles on sleds over the years.... maybe even hundreds of thousands... Some trail, lots of boon docking and mountain riding and some in between. I prefer to ride and not be stuck all day. I like to climb and tree ride. I like the tech stuff and I like those days of just blasting sh#$ hooks on lakes and ponds and generally just messing around. Sledding is sledding, it is all good. Short tracks are awesome for the terrain they are designed to run... The manufacturers wouldn't make longer versions if they didn't work.

Just my 2 cents....

Happy trails!!!

Premium Features