• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

droppin weight for cheap

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
anybody have any ideas on how one could drop more weight for cheap? like removing the part in the footwells with all the holes, smaller oil tank,

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Boss seat if you can afford it. Saves over 10lbs. Exhaust can like slp will save another 10lbs or so. Costs $$$ though.

I wouldn't do a smaller oil tank. that won't help much. Footwells, not really too much weight savings there, the aluminum is thin and light.

If you ride pow and ride for consecutive days in a row.... bring a rubber mallet and knock off all the ice build up before the days next ride. Snow/ice buildup adds a lot of weight very quickly...

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I'm laying off taco bell, steak, cheesy fries, and beer for my weight loss program. I'v spent roughly $1000 for 16lbs off my sled this year, and would have to spend big bucks to lose more, so this is my new approach.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
remove hood if you're not riding powder.

If you're overwieght, stop putting chit in your month.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i around 170, i allready have a slp single, bark busters front end, ive heard bad things about the new boss seats, i like the look of the mt assault seats. im thinkin a skid over the summer, i wann get this thing as light as possible

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
little stuff adds up...
have you pulled the foam out from under hood, it weighs more when its wet. do the holes in the running boards, snow will escape easier. you probably already pulled the swaybar. remove the gas rack. remover the speedo and cable, replace with flo-rite. if you have the good ol buttun clutch you can remove the aluminum shield on back side and the screws. keep an eye out for vertical escape parts - the jackshaft and gears and seat i think are lighter.

M
Mar 16, 2004
Minnesota
Lose weight? - track...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned a track for weight loss. Since it's rotating mass, it's a much more effective place to look than elsewhere on the sled.

Depending on the age and track type, you could lose some significant weight by getting a different track and/or porting it...

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
little stuff adds up...
have you pulled the foam out from under hood, it weighs more when its wet. do the holes in the running boards, snow will escape easier. you probably already pulled the swaybar. remove the gas rack. remover the speedo and cable, replace with flo-rite. if you have the good ol buttun clutch you can remove the aluminum shield on back side and the screws. keep an eye out for vertical escape parts - the jackshaft and gears and seat i think are lighter.
Seat, jackshaft, steering post, T-arms, radius rods, scissor arms in the skid, chaincase, hell I've even heard the bogies are different.

S

Snocross 100

Oct 6, 2008
Port your track-5lb
pipe/ can- 10lb
lightweight hood -15+10 with no headlight set up

its a good start

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Ported...

I run a ported 151x2 on my old XLT and suffered no noticeable power loss from the ported 136x2 I was running last year. The 136 was about a '97 model off of a powder extreme. The 151 is off of an 01 RMK 800. Track for track they seem to be pretty similar in weight even before it was ported. It sure made a huge difference in the machine for boon docking. I should have weighed it before and after, but got in a hurry and did not think about it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
yeah port whatever track you run for sure. two wheel rear axle. float shocks look lighter too, but $$...
Take a wholesaw bit to the clutch guard.
i always wanted to run filters on mine and get rid of the airbox and all the plastic on the "cieling" of the hood as well. start to mess with jetting there though...
i bet a totally gutted stock hood with screen glued in place of the vents, no foam, plastic, speedo, windshield, or gay *** bag on top would be comparable to the aftermarket hoods, and free:).

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
hmmm

I was suprised with the weight of my stock hood to aftermarket fiberglass hood. Big difference. Track porting doesn't loose much weight

You have never actually ran a ported track I guess, if you had you would be a believer. The new RMKs down at Carl's come with ported tracks. I know Ski-don't has done it in the past also. I would reason that it makes a difference if they are doing it. Rotational mass makes a bigger difference in performance than stationary mass. The ported track is also more flexible so it rolls freer.

B

bfh4231

Feb 3, 2008
Moorhead, MN
the reason for porting your track is to lose the snow that builds up in your skid not so much for the weight that the little circles add up to.

Premium Features