• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much better is the Power Claw

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
hey guys thinking of a new track to replace my stock challenger. How much lighter is the powerclaw than the stock track? I have heard people claim they get like 5- to 7 more hp with the power claw on a track dyno? Does anyone feel this is possible?

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
The majority of my riding is in powder. I don't ride too much in set up snow. The PC is for real. I've only had the PC on my '09 1000, but I've ran a Challenger and a PC on a Polaris sled and the PC does turn easier. I also found that I could get away with running the track looser with the PC.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
had a 07 m1000, full slp pipe, that ran as good as any m1000 I've came across and better, My stock 09 would hand it to the 07 everywhere except the tail end of a drag race. the track just keeps going( its almost stupid how you can keep pulling a hill at .2mph) You can nearly come to a complete stop while climbing and pull it over into a side hill and start gaining speed again. You need the 09 tunnel to get all the goodie out of the track.

Oh, and do a search, I think someone asked the same question a couple weeks ago word for word, and about every two weeks since it came out.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I rode my sled which has a powerclaw and a spare sled which has a challenger (both 141" x 15" x 2.25" on 09 crossfire 800's) and the powerclaw is a much better track. It hooks up better on hardpack, climbs on top of the snow better, grabs in a sidehill better, turns easier, climbs better, and just keeps on going better. It is without a doubt better than the stock challenger track.

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
has any one actually noticed a power gain when switching the track? Like you were making more rpm with the powerclaw and had to give more weight to the primary clutch

Dec 22, 2007
has any one actually noticed a power gain when switching the track? Like you were making more rpm with the powerclaw and had to give more weight to the primary clutch

You are freeing up some HP By losing rotating mass. Insted of those 7 to 10 horses working to turn the heavier/less flexable track, it is now being transferred to the ground as a HP gain.
And Yes!!:) I felt a gain when I did the swap.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
All I know is that after the last 3 days at Rabbit Ears, I'm sold on the power claw on my M8 .... In fact, I'd really like to put that track on my 900 RMK as well. Thing does VERY well in the powder, and it doesn't appear to be too bad in set up snow conditions either.

M8 Rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Riverton Utah
Powerclaw Track

I installed a new Powerclaw to replace my Challenger track on my 2008 M8 SnoPro 153. What a difference! It improved my sleds performance in all aspects. Definatly worth the price paid! :D

W
Dec 15, 2009
Have any of you guys found that the sleds with powerclaw tracks tend to wanna trench a little more than the challengers in softer, salty-like snow??
...I'd say the p/c track outclimbs the challenger "hands-down" in harder, more set-up snow. But, wanna say the challenger showed its plus-side in the salty-fluffy stuff. Powerclaw highmarks weren't any better than the challengers.
All good riders, comparing an '09 HCR, an '07 M8, '10 M8 (all 153) and an '09 m1000...
Anyone else find that??? ..comments

R

rcditchpickle

Nov 26, 2007
MISSOULA MT
I just put one on my 08 M1000 and there is no power increase on the hill. The track does hook up great on the trail and does ok in the steep and deep. I think it is a 50/50 between the PC and the Challenger Extreme 2.5. I like the Challenger Ex 2.5 for my riding style. I feel that it moves more snow and gets a better bite on the steep and deep. Eather way you will notice a diff. in your sled over the pos. stock challenger trak.

M

Mnt bound

Aug 16, 2008
Western Colorado
had a 07 m1000, full slp pipe, that ran as good as any m1000 I've came across and better, My stock 09 would hand it to the 07 everywhere except the tail end of a drag race. the track just keeps going( its almost stupid how you can keep pulling a hill at .2mph) You can nearly come to a complete stop while climbing and pull it over into a side hill and start gaining speed again. You need the 09 tunnel to get all the goodie out of the track.

Oh, and do a search, I think someone asked the same question a couple weeks ago word for word, and about every two weeks since it came out.

Glad to hear it. Is yours 153 or 162?

F
Apr 5, 2009
ok thinking of getting a 141 power claw track and 141 suspension over the summer. but my question is would i be able to put it on after we get a good foot foot and a half of snow and leave it on till the snow starts to melt? i would be mostly trail riding, cross country, jumping, and a trip to WY in march. would the track hold up to it?

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I just got first ride for this winter with my 141" PC. Dang it hooks good! I did some power update also so I can't compare it directly to previous track (camo 141"/2.25"). But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't able to pull bumper into ground -wheelies as long as I want with the old track. Now it goes skis sky high as long I keep throttling. Really awesome :)

73GOLIATH

Jan 3, 2008
great track much better over the stock challenger 2.25 but i still like the challenger ex 2.5 156 the only thing i dont like about the pc is it is as bad or more bad than the att 20 coming back down
dont git me wrong the pc is a great track but i still like my ex 156
as far a power gain i did not see a power increase when i was running the pc but i did lose a little running the the 156 2.5 but i was worth it
hope this helps

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If you can't say the PC is the best track out there, Then you ride hard snow. I have compared my sled to other sleds with CE 162's and 156's with equal mods and was never beat. The CE does get a little better traction going down as the 3 lug pattern cuts into the snow better. But if you know how to use it the PC comes down hills better than the stock C, you just can't lock up the track on the PC or it fills with snow and acts like a avalanche(snow sliding on snow). The CE is great in snow that is wet or hard. the A20 is the best pow track. The PC is the best of both worlds.
One thing I can't say is that I have tested all the tracks on the same sled. which would be the real way to judge but everyone I know that has loves the PC. As far as a power diff goes you wont get more rpm because the track gets more grip and if your clutching is right it would compensate anyway. I have noticed lower track speed as well, but go much further than sleds with higher track speed.

09 m1000 162

B

BLOME

Nov 17, 2009
a20 in hillclimb for deep sno or p-claw...???? what do u think?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Last weekend at Rabbit Ears we were riding in 4'-5' of virtually baseless fresh powder all day long. The PC track did better than any other track I have ever ridden snow like this in.

attachment.php

It was ripping that up all day long, and the only times I got stuck were because I wasn't paying attention .... that track kicks *** in the powder.

Premium Features