• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MCX 180 Update

S
Nov 21, 2007
Alberta
It get's confusing when we are told we have fuel boxes that are only mapped to 17 by the distributor. So what level of boost can a Nytro 270 kit run at 6500ft......maybe I'll have to turn it up, lol

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Another test day, this time up in Eagles Pass. Great day, sunshine, snow conditions couldn't have been better for going places, and I think I got the MCX dialed in! Thanks to Sly's advice, I turned the rod out a couple more turns and presto, 6psi right on the nose! For me I couldn't or didn't notice any negligible loss in HP from the 7-8 psi it was at, but thats just me. The sled ran like a top, the only issue near the end of the day was the prefilter was totally sealed shut with ice which made low end stuff a little burbly. That and when I got home I couldn't believe the ice build up in and around the cold air intake and exhaust area. I must have taken out 30 lbs of ice!
I had a buddy of mine who rides a Dragon take the Nytro for a rip, his comment when he got back was "Holy Sh@&!!!", I guess thats kind of a compliment! He couldn't believe how it just cruised up hills at 7500 rpm with no effort and if you wanted to lift the skis a bit just pound the throttle! He took a 310 HP Impluse turbo for a ride a couple days ago, said it had horrible lag, the MCX, power was there right now. I think he's sold! Sherm

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Not to hijack but does this 180 kit have intelligent fuel control that you have been talking about TBIRD ??

TURBOMAN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Morgan, Utah
www.bigskyx.com
I have a question for you MC Xpress guys, were did you tap in to monitor your boost? I just did two 270hp kits and tapped into the line that runs from the map sensor over to the mcx control box.

Thanks Doug

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
Not to hijack but does this 180 kit have intelligent fuel control that you have been talking about TBIRD ??

Yes, the 180 kit have the IIC to control fuel and boost @ every altitude.

And if someone sober read what's been written about altitude compensation and sit down and think about it the penny might fall i place, i even made a little chart so those of you connecting boost monitor can see how much boost you'll see in diffrent altitudes.
Those of you turning the rod out even more when climbing, are you going to turn the rod in again when you are @ lower altitude?

Why someone doesen't want to keep the 180hp whatever altitude is beyond me.
Because the absolute pressure is kept the same bye the IIC, when turning the rod out to lower boost you also lower absolute pressure and loose hp.
The fuelpump doesent have to flow more fuel due to the fact it still feed's the same hp @ altitude as on lower altitude, so how anyone steer's blindly on boost alone is beyond me, it's the absolute pressure MCX thats fed into the engine.
As i said over and over, this kit is tested on every possible altitude, it's built to compensate for altitude, it's built to keep absolute pressure the same, and therefor keeping the hp almost intact.

S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Thanks to all

I have been talking with Sherm as he put his kit on, as I was installing one myself. It is great to have the info on this forum. I want to thank Tbird for the info on the control box and understanding what you have to say about absolute pressure. Not to bash MCX but there distributor's and customers need to know what we are getting in these kits. That chart and and the fact that these 180 kits have the new controler needs to be in the manual or at least sent with the controller as they were shipped after the kits. I understand they are making many diff kits for many HP's and models and are working hard to get this stuff to market for us, but that would have taken 10min to type a note and ship with controler's or maybe this should have been done by Prince George Yamaha as they are the dist. in Canada. Looking at their webstie under update's there is no info on current kits that are out. Maybe it is in the translation but when the manual says to check boost and do not run over 6psi and nothing about what altitude you are at or the fact that they mean absolute pressure, assumptions are made that the system will only adj. to max fuel were required when at 6psi on the boost gauge.
On another note Sherm how was the rpm when when you went out last time with the weights you are using.
One last thing a question for Sly do you as a dealer get any update's or info sent on to you from the Dist. here in Canada I would think they should be at least keeping their Dealers up to date and in the loop on new info or problems by email.
Anyone reading this should understand I am very happy with the kit and the fit and finish but more info is always good. Again can't wait to ride it.
Thanks again to all.

Last edited:

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Interesting thread. Sherm glad you love your sled......when is your pal putting boost on? lol
I run MCX product and rely on their product to work as intended. I would check to make sure it isn't bouncing off the end of the boost guage but if it was in the 6-8 range I'd hold it to the bar at altitiude. I run the 270 program on my pump fuel sled and will sometimes see 19lb at altitude......at the lower levels it will be in the 16 range...........so I trust the system to work as designed. I don't use a manual adjuster on that sled cause I hate touching it....I just wanna ride. Over 8,000k and running strong.
Happy boosting all and enjoy the ride.
RS

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
I tapped my gauge in between the map sensor and the control box as well, thanks again to Sly! I guess the problem is this T-Bird, some of us know diddly squat about turbos and how they are supposed to work. We get info from many valuable and reliable sources and us newbies try and make it all work! As Sledit mentioned, the instruction manual dosen't really say squat about the adjustment other than to make sure its not over the 6 psi, and thats it. What I find interesting is that there hasn't been one other post from another sledder thats installed this same kit, guess we just have more snow in our area than others. However, from what I'm reading here, it dosen't matter what the boost gauge says at elevation, its what it says at sea level that matters. And yes Sledit, still running higher revs now I turned it down but not like it was before, rather than 9300 its down to 9000. Climbmax, he's still drooling and waiting for his!! I'm still getting used to the "holding it to the bar" stuff, with the condtions we had yesterday the skis were never on the snow! Great ride for sure! Appreciate all the comments and patience guys, us self-installer newbie types need all the help we can get!! Sherm

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
It may have been an oversight in the manual, i haven't seen it myself.
We are all beginners @ some point, i for one is glad to share the little i know, i know i learn all the time.
But the fact is, not everyone here seem willing to listen and learn, i don't know their agenda, and i don't care, i share the things i know to those who wants to listen, i hope someone now better understand how MCX boost controller works, and that there's no need to lower boost when boost is rises when climbing to higher altitude, it only mean that the electronic boost controller works, despite what some people say.
As i written all the time, if there's anyone needing more information, send e-mail or pick up the phone and contact your MCX dealer.

Last edited:
S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Well wish I was out there to run beside you Sherm to compare the Dalton weights and 45deg helix I stuck in. I will get out on the lake here with it this weekend and see how things go. Is your intake under seat plastic or did you go to the elbow.
Hey TBird no worries thanks again I don't think anyone is going after you as the messenger and I'm not going after any dealer's but somtimes the chain of the right info is hard to come by and I don't like phoning around taking up peoples time.

Last edited:
L

LOKI

Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
As far as starting boost levels go, I have installed two 180 kits so far and both were set quite high from mcx (1 @ 12+, 1 @ 10 psi@2000 ft). Make sure you have a good boost guage and adjust the boost to proper level for your alt. The chart T-bird posted should be part of the instruction manual as far as i'm concerned. Thanks for posting and thanks for the ride reports.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
What Sledit said TBird, we're still in the very early learning stages of boost and stuff! I've still got the filter under the seat and no doubt the problem as mentioned by other posts. It'll be interesting to see what your pulling and how the weights work, I still may need some tuning. The clutching seems to be right on, downshifts great, still have that "thok" though when the primary disengages, lets me know its working! Funny thing is is that I think the sled works great as it is but, I certainly don't want to be robbing myself of any extra power. I'll do a couple more "shop" tests and see what I'm at right now out of curiosity, just have to make sure the neighbours are all away! Thanks guys! Sherm

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
One thing to note
Sea level is not a correct term to use, what MCX uses is "BAR"
Sea level clear and sea level cloudy rainy are 2 different atmospheric pressures or BAR
So having said that, there's really no specific atmospheric pressure for a specific altitude
Everyone has experienced the result, on a blue bird day non turbo sleds are faster, cloudy foggy day it's a dog
The system does not know altitude, it only knows atmospheric pressure
Low BAR day more boost, High BAR day less boost

With no accurate way to measure BAR you cannot accurately set your Boost

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
T-bird is exactly right, you want to see 6 psi at sea level and if you see 9 psi at 6500 feet, this is exactly what you want to see.

Again 6 psi at sea level 9 psi at 6500 feet. This is how the kit is designed. Set it for 6 psi at sea level. Follow the little boost diagram T-bird posted.

Last edited:
S

SLEDIT

Jan 23, 2008
Watrous Sask
Here is a pic of new controller and valve that runs at the waste gate to control boost pressure, I guess that part was the addition with the new controller that was not part of the 180 kit or manual to start with, glad to have it.

mcx controler 002.jpg

Last edited:

TBird

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
North of Sweden
One thing to note
Sea level is not a correct term to use, what MCX uses is "BAR"
Sea level clear and sea level cloudy rainy are 2 different atmospheric pressures or BAR
So having said that, there's really no specific atmospheric pressure for a specific altitude
Everyone has experienced the result, on a blue bird day non turbo sleds are faster, cloudy foggy day it's a dog
The system does not know altitude, it only knows atmospheric pressure
Low BAR day more boost, High BAR day less boost

With no accurate way to measure BAR you cannot accurately set your Boost

Where do i start! :eek:
This is off the chart, i hope everyone understand that.
Everyone hooking up an MCX Display will notice that MCX meassures in kPa, but pressure can be presented in many diffrent units, Bar is an unit within the Metric system used in Europe.
Meteorologically you most problably would use mmHg or millibar as a unit when presenting air pressure.
Atmospheric preassure @ sea level are 101.325kPa, 760mmHg, 14.696PSI, 1013.25millibars (1.01325bar).
So when looking @ an MCX display, showing kPa you see about 80kPa @ idle @ sea level, this because @ idle there's vacuum.
Opening the throttle a bit will show you 101.325kPa because atmospheric pressure is that @ sea level.
Coming in to boost and the display will show you let say 141kPa, this is same as 1.41bar and 20.5PSI, how's that?
Yes, it's Absolute pressure, MCX display show's Atmospheric pressure + boost pressure, same as the MCX ECU is reading.
So disregarding of altitude MCX display shows 141kPa when hitting max boost for the 180 kit, thats not the same as actual boost pressure as we stated already, it's keeping absolute preassure constant as atmospheric pressure drops, this mean there's higher boost pressure @ altitude.

Premium Features