• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Potential Edge aftermarket fab. products-new company seeking input.

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
Hey Guys,
New member and Garage-Fabricator here. With my offorad business flailing I'm redirecting my efforts towards my other passion, the snowmobile industry.
Since I know my sled better than any others and have been thinking about this stuff for a couple years I will be using the edge as my first model for prototyping products. Here's a list of the products I indend to offer.

Basic skinz/treedog style bolt-on bumper/skidplate combo.
Seat Kit for snowboard under seat w/ raised moto-seat.
Strap kit for backpack and additional gas cans
Underhood shovel bracket/universal rear tunnel side shovel mount.
Steering Column brace, will require minor cutting of plastic for install.
I'm also looking into a potential kit to update the edge chassis to a-arms...stay tuned.

I also have a design for a 2-place sled-bed that replaces fullsize beds of popular trucks with a custom flatbed. This way the factory bed could be stored over the winter to avoid damage. This setup lowers the center of gravity as well. Important for you guys with lifted rigs.

Please make any feedback known. I intend to build products you guys need and as affordable as I can. Help me help us all!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
I knew it had been done! I'm sure it's not simple, but obviously not impossible. I built the Long-Travel kit for my Toyota T-100, sleds are a bit more simplified...Thanks for the reply's. keep em comin, this is great info.

and a few pics of my work so u guys know I can back up what I'm claimin'

mid-mock 3.JPG reduced.JPG wide angle pass side.JPG

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
In my opinion you could make some good money by resurrecting some of the stuff that has been discontinued.

Call Mark Holz and have him give/sell you the rights to the Edge and Escape chaincase drop kit he was making. They were a terrific option and are no longer being made by him. I've needed 5 kits in the last year alone to do this for people and am now out with none to be found.

See if you can get Mark to let you build the 'old' Holz suspension for the Edge and Gen II. Carl's can still do the shocks. Again, I've had call for these in the past year and he isn't selling them any more.

Heck, why you are at it see if he'll let you build his chrome moly trailing arms for the edge too... I need some of those. :)

sled_guy

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
Sled-guy
what does the chaincase-drop setup do? is this for better tunnel clearance? I actually had the holz stuff on the front when I got it but that stuff isn't as durable as stock. I could easily build my own trailing arms and rear swingarm like holz did. all I need is either the part I'm going to one-off or a Cad file from holz. anyone got contact info for him?
Thanks u guys are way more helpful than the offroad "bros"

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
van amburg was doing the a arm edge chassis, it would have to be somewhat cheap or you might as well buy a iq

I totally agree, thats the deciding factor. I would think any more than 1200 -1500 bucks with shocks and people would not justify it.

But since early IQs have the reputation they do I think a-lot of edge owners with good-working paid for sleds would rather drop a g in cash than finance a new 9K sled, or risk buying someone else's problems...Plus for what u can get mod edge for, slap on a-arms and u got a really cheap, really good handling and strong machine.

I would like to make the conversion under a grand if possible but we will see. I have a couple weeks till the new garage is dialed for fabbin' I had no idea there would be this much interest. If I could sell 10 kits for a G this year I would easily justify the r&d time. So basically I should probly get to work.

Please post any more pics u guys have of this setup plz.
Thanks again for all the input!

Last edited:

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i actually have a steering column brace on my sled that works nicely, a wide running board kit kit would be sweet. and i would like a nice aftermarket front bumper. and even a nice rear bumper.

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
What size/thickness cromo? I was thinking 1.25 x.095 would be legit. I know most are alum. but I planned on a 4130cromo option anyway. I'm using DOM for my prototypes...

as for the shovel, that could be a pretty simple drill and rivet yourself handle mount, or even riveted cordura straps with a backpack cam.

explain how you want the shovel positioned on the tunnel and I can come up with a definate design and post a sketch.

Last edited:

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
not sure why you guys want shovel on seld but i recommend having one on you all times

you will wish that you didn't have your shovel on your sled when your sled and a buddy is barried in avy

just a heads up :beer;

I
Dec 1, 2009
Truckee, CA
true that, I totally agree that having it on u is the safest bet for everyone...some backpacks dont provide mounts and riders with boards on their backs generally need another mounting option in my experience. We generally stuff em between the hood and the pipe but the handles melt and it rattles-ghetto. I have made a couple brackets for friends and they worked well.

I
Nov 26, 2007
not sure why you guys want shovel on seld but i recommend having one on you all times

you will wish that you didn't have your shovel on your sled when your sled and a buddy is barried in avy

just a heads up :beer;

Heard it a million times and that's not what this thread is about. I've had a buddy lose his pants in an avanlanche...you really think you can't lose your backpack in an avalanche as well?

Let's keep it on topic.

Those dimensions for the chromoly sound good, I think I'd want to shovel handle mounted to the side of the tunnel towards the back of the running board with the shovel head elevated near the gas rack, I think clamping a shovel into whatever clip you're going to use and holding it up to the sled would be the best way to decide.

Premium Features