• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dyno port -to- PSI

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
i just bought a 2004 ve 800 off a buddy. the problem is,is that it wont rev like it should climbing hills, im kind of thinkign it migth be the jetting because last year it had dyno port twin pipes then he hit something and wrecked them then he put twin PSI pipes on and did change the jetting i was wondering if this is a posibility of why it runs like this? the sled has good compression 150 psi clutch side and 152psi on the other. so let me know what you think went for my first ride on it today and loved it other then this

thanks in advance :beer;

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
im not too sure what mains are it it or what weights it has i juts bout it havent had a chance to look at it yet i will rip it apart tomorrow and have a look. what size would would you suggest i run im ridding bettween 6000 -8000 ft the mods are - gutted air box,slp air box kit, psi twins and thats it

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
my freinds dad thinks its wireing but i dont think thats it . would it be worth it to just try a harder spring in the primary i have and almond red sitting in the shop. i will rip the carbs apart tomorrow and clean them and see what it has for jets too

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
my freinds dad thinks its wireing but i dont think thats it . would it be worth it to just try a harder spring in the primary i have and almond red sitting in the shop. i will rip the carbs apart tomorrow and clean them and see what it has for jets too. i want to try to get it going better for wensday cuz i got the day off for remeberance day.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
The spring probably won't change much. But its worth a try.

You should be somewhere about 370/380 on your mains

Weights should be 10-62 or 10-64

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Since you said that it was wrecked, I'd also make sure that the motor mounts aren't broken, that the clutch alignment is good. The primary spring could also be sacked out bringing down the rpm.

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
aperantly the sled was doign this before it was crashed but i will check the alignment anyways.might as well one more thing to cross off the list. il check the jets tomorrow maybe throw in that spring just to see what that dose and also i talked to my freinds dad and he thinks it might be the throdle postioning sensor but i unpluged that today and it didnt change a thing. he also said it could be the detonation sensor might be screwd too i dont know anything about that haha i dont even know where it is. its not only not reving as hi as it should but it is not reving smooth almost like its over fueling but i dont think it is. there just seams to be something holding it back.

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
aperantly the sled was doign this before it was crashed but i will check the alignment anyways.might as well one more thing to cross off the list. il check the jets tomorrow maybe throw in that spring just to see what that dose and also i talked to my freinds dad and he thinks it might be the throdle postioning sensor but i unpluged that today and it didnt change a thing. he also said it could be the detonation sensor might be screwd too i dont know anything about that haha i dont even know where it is. its not only not reving as hi as it should but it is not reving smooth almost like its over fueling but i dont think it is. there just seams to be something holding it back.

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
A few more things to check along with the other suggestions. Check out the primary clutch. Look back in there where the weights pivot to be sure they are not dragging against the side of the clutch itself. Check to see if the exhaust valves are gummed up or a leaking bellow. Double check to be sure you have good fuel and clean spark plugs. Check all of the wiring to and from the coil to see if it's in good shape. Check the cdi box to be sure the harness is plugged in and making a good connection. Check the reeds for cracks.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
The bellows is that rubber diaphram under the black cap when you pulled apart your exhaust valves. When you took the black caps off, was there any ugly oily stuff right there on top of the bellows? Or was it all under it? If you had black gunk on top of the bellows, You have a torn bellows. When this happens, they run like crap over about 6000 rpm and generally won't go over about 7000-7500rpm.

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
well......
jets are 380
bellows are good bought new ones but already had new ones in it
checked the reeds and i found a aluminum rivet some retared tryed to rivet the rubber air box boot on and it fell out and went throw my carb and into my reed (thank god for reeds) but i dont know why it could be im going out today and il see how it runs .if it dosent run right it must be the wireing or something

P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
yeah thats what i thought im pretty sure its just in the clutching what would be the best thing to do with the clutching to fix that? i dont know much about clutching other then just putting in springs, i guess i could try the harder primary spring i have think that might fix it .

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
It shouldn't be that low unless something is seriously out of whack. Look for broken spring either primary or secondary. If not, its most likely not clutching related. I have seen sacked out belts that give you some goofy results, usually no power but plenty of R's(slipping) Might want to throw a spare on and see what it does.

Have seen broken exhaust valves give low rpms too.

Is it running fine when its at its peak, or does it blubber or surge or anything? Your jetting should be close enough.

I really don't think springs are going to help unless you have one thats broken. Different springs will only change RPM by a couple hundred max. Check what weights are in it and make sure they are not hanging up and that the primary isn't wore out and hanging up. You can do that when you change the spring.

Last edited:
P
Dec 6, 2008
terrace b.c
the exhaust valves are good il try a new belt and il check for a broken spring in the secondary because ive already looked at the primary . im just guessing its clutching because it seams like somethings holding it back . right off the start it takes off like it should and feels like it should untill you stat putting the power tow work ex: on a hill

Premium Features