• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro powderlites DIES WHEN HOT

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
My 2008 Nytro has 400 miles in it 200 with boost died this weekend temps were high outside was riding slow through trees. shut it down to help a buddy out came back to the sled and would crank but no fire had fuel pressure checked all conections sled was dry all day no powder:mad:. When it started it was missing and ran rough shut it down and let it sit for about 20 min started right up and ran fine rode again tight trees slow speeds and shut her down. restarted sled went 10 ft ran like a 1 or 2 cyl died. 20 min later sled started and I mad a 15 mile dash to the truck with no problems.
I think some of the electronics overheated the rb3 box was very warm to the touch it is mounted on the battery.
never saw the temp gauge and no check engine light.

HELP:beer;

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
My 2008 Nytro has 400 miles in it 200 with boost died this weekend temps were high outside was riding slow through trees. shut it down to help a buddy out came back to the sled and would crank but no fire had fuel pressure checked all conections sled was dry all day no powder:mad:. When it started it was missing and ran rough shut it down and let it sit for about 20 min started right up and ran fine rode again tight trees slow speeds and shut her down. restarted sled went 10 ft ran like a 1 or 2 cyl died. 20 min later sled started and I mad a 15 mile dash to the truck with no problems.
I think some of the electronics overheated the rb3 box was very warm to the touch it is mounted on the battery.
never saw the temp gauge and no check engine light.

HELP:beer;

Had a similar problem myself this past weekend?????

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Ive got well over 1000km on my Stg II rode in all conditions deep bottom less powder, rain, extreme cold etc etc..
The only time my sled has acted up and would idle or run proper
- had alot alot of moisture in Rb3 plug-in (Forgot to grease up connection)
- original intake hose tinfoil split
- was low on fuel,, she gets thristy in the deep

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
Saw a couple of RB3 s crap out this weekend. Would not fire on all cylinders. Swithed RB3 from another turbo and it ran fine. Could be the ignition portion of the RB3.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Ultralord

You just described the EXACT issue I am having!!! Down to even the same milage with and without boost,,,,WTF????? is going on with this thing?? I am gonna go through the cooling system this week and check everything over.. I was also wondering about the RB3 box and wiring harness goin to crap, I wish there was someone else around here to compare with, switch boxes and such.

This issue is gettin real old, my wife is starting to not even want to go riding with me. I'm thinkin I might fix it and SELL it, **** it!!!!

I'm callin Dave tommorow.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
You just described the EXACT issue I am having!!! Down to even the same milage with and without boost,,,,WTF????? is going on with this thing?? I am gonna go through the cooling system this week and check everything over.. I was also wondering about the RB3 box and wiring harness goin to crap, I wish there was someone else around here to compare with, switch boxes and such.

This issue is gettin real old, my wife is starting to not even want to go riding with me. I'm thinkin I might fix it and SELL it, **** it!!!!

I'm callin Dave tommorow.

Dave and Darren have been awesome with any problems I've had - I'm sure they won't leave anyone high and dry!!

S
Mar 31, 2008
May be

The high speed fan is coming on and pulling to much power? Check your volts when it does it again.....

Skydog P.S. I have a 08 Nytro with a MPI stage 1 with the RB3 on it was running real bad at low RPMs 2200-3500 (just put it on) but i played with my Map voltage and it ran better than ever!! Just hope it keeps it up! What are you guys running your max and Min volts on your map sensor at? You need the pro software to see it. It is under load.

Last edited:
S
Mar 31, 2008
one more thing

look at the heat shrink on the main plug in to the RB3 i have heard of that holding the plug back from seating all the way....

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
I did not want to say this, But I was very carefull and took a piece of ice and laid it on top of the rb3 and she melted it quick (and no I did not get the conection wet) and I know not to get electronics wet. But I could barley touch the rb3 and the glue on the velcro was melting. I think it had no spark but was unable to test in the woods. I did notice when I was moveing fast good air circulation I did not have this problem. It did have fuel pressure.

It acts like a car that has a bad ignition module

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
The high speed fan is coming on and pulling to much power? Check your volts when it does it again.....

Skydog P.S. I have a 08 Nytro with a MPI stage 1 with the RB3 on it was running real bad at low RPMs 2200-3500 (just put it on) but i played with my Map voltage and it ran better than ever!! Just hope it keeps it up! What are you guys running your max and Min volts on your map sensor at? You need the pro software to see it. It is under load.

there was no fan running when it would not start

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
MCX kit similar problems there has been a few of us.

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125754

I change up some of my venting in hopes to get this under control. May need to do a headlight delete with venting and possibly throw on some bigger side vents. I had no troubles until I let it heat soak for 30 min or so in extremely warm conditions.

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Stalling Nytro RB3

If wiring harness gets full of water even with connector full of electrical grease the back of connector needs to have water blown out and taped up tight and run wires so water doesn't go into harness.
Relays on nytro have to be mounted so that wires are going down from relays and close to motor to stay dry.
Starter one always seems to be going on Apex's and Nytro's for same reason.
Apex stockers will act up and start missing because of TPS and gray injection plug full of water.
If you ever have a electrical connectors and a little bit of salt water around you will have way more problems.
Back in days of trying to find problems on motorcycles we would mix salt in spray bottle and soon find sparkplugs caps etc and wasa way to trouble shoot.
www.powderlites.com

Last edited:

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
re check

Tried everything with the harness, cleaned, dryed, blown out, then sealed, and reinstalled. Going to check all the relays and the cooling system to see if anything is wrong there.

Could the RB3 boxes be goin to chit?

OH yeah, when I start going downhill sometimes it just ****in dies, this happens when the tank is full and it seems to be running right?????? Not ****in good in certain situations!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
I think I did not state it clearly. the sled runs as close to perfect as any mod sled I have ever owned Due to a Great kit and a Great install. when you shut the sled off when it was very warm and very dry underhood heat it will not start for about 20 min untill the sled underhood temps drops. The sled is as clean as it was on the showroom floor our snow has sucked for 8 weeks the sled is stored inside a forced air heated trail it has no moisture on any conections the issue is the underhood heat got to high for some weak electronic component that controls the the primary or secondary ingnition circuit I think it the spark side of things when it died it was dropping cylinders..

The key to this is that if you were running it fast for good underhood air flow that there is no problem.
I just dont know what the component that has failed is. I think its the RB3 just not sure how to tell. Or maybe the thing just needs to be run with the hood off on warm slow family days.

Last edited:

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
sounds like the trouble I was having.....but i dont have a RB3?? it was running perfect before it got heat soaked. Same kind of riding conditions. Also always stored on lift in a heated shop.

Once I had all the panels off it seemed to come back to life but I didnt do alot of testing as I was mostly concerned of getting out of the deep back country.

shrug....

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Nytro won't start

If when really hot and riding without a lot of air going through it stop and go to start but won't it has been fuel rail gas boiling and listen to hear if fuel pump is working right.
Not a lot of venting with trail tank guys and they are having some troubles by the phone calls we been getting.
Try snow on fuel pump or look at fuel pressure when it won't start.
Let us know so we can look in this problem.
Dave @ www.powderlites.com

U

Ultralord

Nov 26, 2007
Auburn WA
I looked at the fuel pressure gauge I was around 25 psi with sled off I had my hands on the pump and the fuel line I could feal the fuel in the line and it seamed like it was working the sled made no attempt to fire I did not smell any raw fuel in the exhaust I am running 100% c-12 easy to smell and when the sled did start It was perfect was not loaded up with fuel at all It started like there was nothing wrong Thats what makes me think that It did not have any injector pulse or maybe spark. I would think that as long as I worked on the sled that It would have been flooded had it been any other issue. I am not sure how the Nytro fuel control works but I assume that it pulses the injectors when it is in the crank mode??????

I have a stock fuel tank and a timber sleds vent kit.

Last edited:
Premium Features