• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gripper ski design makes the PRO useless

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Tried ordering the 76000270, she said it was a "kit", so she said the rubbers were #76000271. I went to put them in today and they were a lot lower. 1-1/4" high compared to 1-9/16" high(stock). I could shim the bottom to make them fit snug. I'm wondering if she sent the wrong ones? O if I should have gone with the 266's?

As a note the 77000266's are very close to the stock dimensions and angles. I'm am going to cut one to the stock width and see if the harder durometer is enough to prevent the ski brake syndrome common with the softer stock rubbers. As a note: if this works they become half the cost as you get two out of one. Additionally saves a few ounces.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I don't know how that will work, but it is worth a try maybe. I had actually put in 2 stock ones, side by side for more surface area and they still tore. I think that maybe one big piece of rubber may hold up better.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I don't know how that will work, but it is worth a try maybe. I had actually put in 2 stock ones, side by side for more surface area and they still tore. I think that maybe one big piece of rubber may hold up better.

In my opinion, the #77000266 should work much better cut down and on a solid base than the thinner #76000271 sitting on top of the two lengthwise gussets. I would think the #76000271 will shear as easy or easier than the stock rubber when mounted in this fashion. Again just my hypothesis until we see the snow and have a chance to prove / disprove our theories.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I cut the two 77000266's I got with a gripper purchase about a month ago in half and checked the fitment. They are very close to the stock dimensions, about an 1/8" shorter lengthwise and the angles are very similar. I just cut them in half width wise and then cut a small 1/8" wide pie out of each corner to clear the gusset (when the C&A's are cut in half they are about 1/4" wider than the stockers). I still shimmed the base up and back an 1/8" with a piece of HDPE I had on hand. The bolt went in too easy without the shim, IMO. I'm happy with the results, I get two bumpers out of the one C&A rubber and as a bonus I saved a few ounces.

****Note they trim very easily with a good sharp fresh razor blade.

D-rail

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2008
Duluth, MN
Stiff rubbers' installation is made easier with a big C clamp and a little accessory I welded up, pretty simple and it squeezes those rubbers down and the bolt slides in great. I have since offset the V so the bolt won't interfere with the clamp as it's going in.

P1080458.jpg

P1080455.jpg

P1080457.jpg

P1050624.jpg

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
I cut the two 77000266's I got with a gripper purchase about a month ago in half and checked the fitment. They are very close to the stock dimensions, about an 1/8" shorter lengthwise and the angles are very similar. I just cut them in half width wise and then cut a small 1/8" wide pie out of each corner to clear the gusset (when the C&A's are cut in half they are about 1/4" wider than the stockers). I still shimmed the base up and back an 1/8" with a piece of HDPE I had on hand. The bolt went in too easy without the shim, IMO. I'm happy with the results, I get two bumpers out of the one C&A rubber and as a bonus I saved a few ounces.

****Note they trim very easily with a good sharp fresh razor blade.

Do you think these will work just as well as the #76000270 ?, which is what I ordered but according to the packing slip they sent me the #266 same as you LH.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Do you think these will work just as well as the #76000270 ?, which is what I ordered but according to the packing slip they sent me the #266 same as you LH.

I have never had the 270's in my hand, but looking at the web pics and reading some of the previous posts. They appear to be thinner and fit on top of the gripper gussets which decreases the surface area that supports the bottom of the bumper. Which in my opinion will cause them to shear easier than the stock rubber. Again that is just my opinion from the web pics and previous posts, time will tell.

If you want to try the 270's, I'll buy your 266's. PM me for payment and my address if interested.

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
One thing i found helped is to fill the cavity under the rubber with clear silicone.
It stops the area under the rubber from filling with water and freezing.
I found this makes the Polaris rubber last way longer.

I also had the same problem.
I was searching around on here and found a post where someone said use the C&A ski rubbers.
I ordered and installed and the problems went away.

Whiz,
Did the C&A rubbers fit the Gripper ski without mods to the ski or the new rubber mount(s) ?
In other words was it a direct fit ?
Good news for all of you I have the solution to your problem.
All you need to do is take a piece of 1/16" thick aluminum or plastic and cut it to the size of the rubber bumper and stick it underneath the rubber bumper in the ski and slide the bolt through.
It will take care of your problem.
My riding buddies and myself did this when we first got our 2011's and problem solved no need for aftermarket skis or rubbers the grippers work great with this mod.
The C&A rubbers are wider and seem to be made of a stiffer material.
They are also a really tight fit against the spindle versus the grippers.
I took two guys to get the spindle seated and the bolt through. The gripper ones just flop around under the spindle.

20130201_180715_zps5a26e9c7.jpg

20130201_180833_zpsaa72418e.jpg

20130201_180843_zps47366128.jpg

20130201_180906_zps14a56762.jpg
Fix seems to be filling the hollow area of the ski with silicon or spray foam insulation then install the aluminum plate and mount.
Any news on the bad/soft Polaris rubbers or do I need a C&A rubber ?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
As I've previously posted I use the 266's cut in half and with small 1/8" pies cut out of the 4 bottom corners to fit the ski gussets. I'll try and attach a pic here soon. I have pre-trimmed extras if you'd like to get a pair from me.

picture.php

Last edited:
S
Aug 22, 2015
Brooklyn, WI
C&A

I had this problem with only 200miles on mine swapped them out for mtx C&A skis and love them even for how wide they are it really floats on the snow and side hills better then the gripper ski would highly recommend checking them out!!

Premium Features