• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What engine?

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
What engine would you drop in? Sky's the limit!

So I am looking at buying a whole new engine. What bolts in place the best? I plan on adding some HP and want at least 180. Without going to the 800 mono-block, what options should I look at? Was thinking a PAR 910 on my carbs and race ignition might be pretty sweet for $6600. Looking at a 1085 PSI Genesis in town in a super nice lightweight gen II chassis for just $3,000, possibly the best bang for my buck, especially seeings how I could ride it how it is for a while. I'm sure that chassis would sell for a decent price as its all Holz with a VE tunnel. I always wanted a 1500 w/c triple too, maybe its time to start that build. I know those are super expensive but what kind of cost is involved said and done in the chassis running?Our sled world is so different from the automotive world where I could pick 1 of thousands of different small block crate engines before really exploring whats out there. Who sells snowmobile crate engines? What is my best option? I am prepared to spend some money but I don't want more problems (ie:800 mono-block). What do you think my best bang for the buck would be? I am open to a lot of different options. Maybe even an EFI turbo? I am at a loss and know that I will need to spend a couple thousand to get back on the hill, so let your ideas fly! :devil:

Last edited:

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
So I am looking at buying a whole new engine. What bolts in place the best? I plan on adding some HP and want at least 180. Without going to the 800 mono-block, what options should I look at? Was thinking a PAR 910 on my carbs and race ignition might be pretty sweet for $6600. Looking at a 1085 PSI Genesis in town in a super nice lightweight gen II chassis for just $3,000, possibly the best bang for my buck, especially seeings how I could ride it how it is for a while. I'm sure that chassis would sell for a decent price as its all Holz with a VE tunnel. I always wanted a 1500 w/c triple too, maybe its time to start that build. I know those are super expensive but what kind of cost is involved said and done in the chassis running?Our sled world is so different from the automotive world where I could pick 1 of thousands of different small block crate engines before really exploring whats out there. Who sells snowmobile crate engines? What is my best option? I am prepared to spend some money but I don't want more problems (ie:800 mono-block). What do you think my best bang for the buck would be? I am open to a lot of different options. Maybe even an EFI turbo? I am at a loss and know that I will need to spend a couple thousand to get back on the hill, so let your ideas fly! :devil:

Ummm, the problems you would have with a 800 monoblock are nill to what you will have with that PSI engine. 1500cc? Guys that run those already KNOW they will be working on those engines non-stop. Of all the engines you mentioned the 800 monoblock with either PAR rods or Fix-Kit pistons are your most reliable engine. Pretty tough to see 180+ though with a monoblock or any 800.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Im in the process of building my IQR into a EFI F7 with a 800BB then plan to turbo after wards. Its no bolt in but the its cheaper to fit that motor in then the triple.

My buddy just did the spacer kit and using later CAT pistons in his mono and it seems to be holding up way way way better, as for power and bang for the buck you can't go wrong with a turbo'ed kitty motor IMO for day in day out reliability boosted or not.

The best part is there stupid cheap to build now.

The older EFI F7/6 motors Voltage system can't keep up to what you need to keep a turbo or super charger going.

M series there very popular in.

I won't have my sled done for another season as I decided to build a full on mountain sled so mines been stripped down to nearly nothing. Will have pics going on it soon enough tho.

Last edited:
T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
My vote would be for either a carls cycle 900 or union bay 900 based off of the 800 ves motor. Par makes the motor plates to where that motor drops right into the iqr. It should give you the kind of hp you are looking for and be as close to problem free as a mod motor can be.

A
Dec 19, 2011
im with firecat 99,

for the price of some of these motors you can do something better if you go custom.

A par 910 or carls 900 is what 5-6 grand? and thats if you already have a complete good condition cfi bottom end and cases. f it was me, id find a nice turbo m8-1000 buy it, do a custom build. And once your done you can sell off the M series chassis as a roller or in parts and make back 2 grand if its in nice shape.

I have a dream to put a turbo m1000 in a xp some day, The guys at c3 did it years ago with a m8 motor and it was insane!

*edit, or go buy a iq 700-800 (turbo) and do the same thing, it would bolt in pretty easy.

Last edited:
F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
im with firecat 99,

for the price of some of these motors you can do something better if you go custom.

A par 910 or carls 900 is what 5-6 grand? and thats if you already have a complete good condition cfi bottom end and cases. f it was me, id find a nice turbo m8-1000 buy it, do a custom build. And once your done you can sell off the M series chassis as a roller or in parts and make back 2 grand if its in nice shape.

I have a dream to put a turbo m1000 in a xp some day, The guys at c3 did it years ago with a m8 motor and it was insane!

*edit, or go buy a iq 700-800 (turbo) and do the same thing, it would bolt in pretty easy.

Buddy and I just bought a 09 XP 600 for a 700EFI BB, He wants to do a 1000 with a 1200 top turbo'ed. IMO I think it would need a TON of work over the smaller motor to make fit. His budget went a little higher then what I wanted to do so got him to pay me out, but said I would help for the fun factor. And you can get a 1000 turbo now a days for 6-7k sometimes cheaper if you buy in the summer, rebuild on the motor and all parts and custom fabs time your north of 10k with a custom pipe and what not. Not including what you can make back on the chassis and stuff.

Im not to familiar with the PAR motors, I've just seen what it cost to build one and wasn't very interested, and after seeing a few M1000 turbo builds for the IQR and talking to the guys about how well they handle and moving the motor right back to the bulk head, riding my 2010 SP is night and day over my 08 IQR with the stand up motor.

Either direction you go and with your budget you should come up with something pretty wild if its drop in or custom. Looking forward to seeing some pics in the near future.

Premium Features