• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

?????? about gps

S

Sledsniper

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Montana
I have a Rhino 530 I've had it for 4 years it's awesome I bought it because I got lost hunting and spent the night in the woods.It works very well in the deep timber it has a 5watt raido(most radios 2watt),weather radio,temp,and electronic compass.Most gps rely on gps to make the compass work.It also has a rechargable battery that lasts like 20 hrs.You can get an aux.Battery opperated pack for like 25$.If your buddy has one(rhino of any type) it will show you where they are on your screen.It works with all other radios.It also water proof.Dont wast your mony on any others.If you buy it on Ebay you can save at least $100.
Just my opinion.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The polling feature is very handy when your buddies disappear into the trees. If they are carrying a rino you can find their location and see it on your screen. It sends and receives their location over the radio. So Any time you talk to them it updates their location on you map.

O
Dec 10, 2007
Eau Claire, WI
Topo CD

I picked up my copy of 2008 topo CD from West Marine for 75, they are set to a scale of 1:100K and I picked up two 4 gig chips to install maps on and run with the Garmin 530. Map source is a simple program to use and it is very easy to pull your tracks out of the GPS plot in the software and view on Google earth. I can take my 530 throw it in my backpack ride all day and it doesn't miss any points the battery last all day and then some. It's a solid unit and made to take the cold and snow, wind and rain.

The one thing I like the most about it is that I can sit at my desk in Wisconsin and run the map source program look around at areas that look like we can ride in make a track and then chose to view it in google earth. If it looks like it is a rideable area then I can send that track to the unit and after we drive 1300 and some miles we have a starting point to find some riding areas.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've owned nearly every Garmin gps that has been made & a couple from magellan (thanks Return Exchange Inc)
The 60 series is great, but the topo is lacking compared to the current ones (no big deal, but the shading makes a big difference), the colorado is a POS, you'll find deals on it, but it's a turd.
The oregon is the best unit I've used so far. Decent battery life, built in color shaded topos, touch screen that works with gloves, 3d mode (sounds gimmicky, but it's pretty effective if you use it right), you can instantly send a waypoint to a friend with a similar unit, and the screen is the majority of the unit, so you get more map with less body.

Garmin is the only one worth buying imo.

btw, when you're trying to navigate toward a road, watch out for saved tracks nearby that are the same color.... no bueno... Made for an interesting afternoon at rabbit ears.

D
Jun 28, 2009
Sin City
I have a Rhino 530 I've had it for 4 years it's awesome I bought it because I got lost hunting and spent the night in the woods.It works very well in the deep timber it has a 5watt raido(most radios 2watt),weather radio,temp,and electronic compass.Most gps rely on gps to make the compass work.It also has a rechargable battery that lasts like 20 hrs.You can get an aux.Battery opperated pack for like 25$.If your buddy has one(rhino of any type) it will show you where they are on your screen.It works with all other radios.It also water proof.Dont wast your mony on any others.If you buy it on Ebay you can save at least $100.
Just my opinion.

I concur with all that was said here. I too have had a Rino 530 now for 3 years and it works excellent in all conditions and would be a "best" pick. BEARTOOTHBLACKCAT, get hold of me by PM and I have some info to share with you. Later. Ken

J
Feb 18, 2009
My dad and I, and our buddies we ride with all have Garmin Rino 530hcx's. They rock. We bought them because if you can talk to the other gps you can get their location. One afternoon we got separated and spent a good 3 hours trying to regroup. That doesn't happen anymore when we are able to poll each other's locations. Also, the rechargable batteries can last a good 2 days.

REV4ARUSH

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Eastern SD
I've owned nearly every Garmin gps that has been made & a couple from magellan (thanks Return Exchange Inc)
The 60 series is great, but the topo is lacking compared to the current ones (no big deal, but the shading makes a big difference), the colorado is a POS, you'll find deals on it, but it's a turd.
The oregon is the best unit I've used so far. Decent battery life, built in color shaded topos, touch screen that works with gloves, 3d mode (sounds gimmicky, but it's pretty effective if you use it right), you can instantly send a waypoint to a friend with a similar unit, and the screen is the majority of the unit, so you get more map with less body.

Garmin is the only one worth buying imo.

btw, when you're trying to navigate toward a road, watch out for saved tracks nearby that are the same color.... no bueno... Made for an interesting afternoon at rabbit ears.

Just curious which model oregon unit you are using??? Thanks

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Convince everyone if your group to get the 520/530 we all have them and they have saved us several times, Hunting, sledding, dirtbiking, whatever. i never leave home without mine.

Premium Features