• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary: rebuild or scrap it? (56k warning!)

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
$360 sounds like a hose job to me. I think you can buy a new one for around $400 USD. I have seen new take off's go for less then $250. There should be guys on this site or others that can rebuild it and balance it for you. I know of someone on another site but not sure if posting other site info is aloud.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Send me a PM if you would nitris223 with the info. The more I think about it, the more mad I get... first told $160-200, then drop it off and they tell me its gonna be $360 after someone had already looked it over twice and reaffirmed $160-200 to rebuild. Oh well, I guess someone else will get my money.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I can buy the parts to rebuild the clutch (spider rebuild kit, weights, pins, bushings for the cover and fixed sheave) for just under $200, but I don't have the tools to open the clutch up. Find someone willing to let me use their tools, Then another $50 for balance, $80 for a belt and I'm on the snow... I might be able to save a few bucks by not buying the entire spider kit and just picking up the necessary parts but I figured for quick/easy and no hassles just get the dang kit. Or buy a used primary, weights, spring, belt... which way to go?

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Did you contact Don. As for a used clutch. It would have to be less then 2000 miles on it before I would consider just throwing it on and go. From what I have see with Polaris clutches is that after 2000 miles they are in need of some sort of rebuild. Might only be shimming the buttons but they will need something. I might get flamed for this but anybody that says it has x- amount of miles over 2500 ad it's good to go has not ripped one apart.. It's just like giving your car a tune up. They further you go the more it costs. I take mine apart every year just to inspect the parts.

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Here is another guy you can contact in Rathdrum Idaho. Goes by Snowmobile Dave ( David Bailey) 509-993-7812 or 208-687-0478. Might have a rebuilt clutch kicking around. Tell him the Crazy Newfy from Canada gave you his name. Keep trying him . He could be at his cabin working.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Not that bad I have run worse, I have taken a drimel tool and smoothed things out, then reshimed everything. One thing that I would do after rebuilding all bushings and shims is have it rebalanced for sure. After rebalancing stay on top of all shims. That clutch should be good for a long time. Still cheaper than a new primary. I have done this on an old 98 700 RMK, that primary end up haveing around 7700 miles on it before I sold it. And as far as I know it was still going as of last yr.

Just my two penny's

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
What was there reason for the $360 rebuild charge.
I did not contact Don yet, but I think I'll try the guy in Rathdrum first, thanks for the info.
On the rebuild... I took it to the dealer and the guy at the parts counter looked it over. He said at least new weights and bushings, new rollers, and shim the buttons. When I asked how much, he said they are usually between $150 and $200. I had to talk it over with the wife, and she wanted to know a real close ballpark so I called again and talked to someone and he said no more than $230 to rebuild in most cases, but would probably be less. So I took it in last Saturday and dropped it off. Got a call yesterday AM, guy I talked to on the phone looked it up in the computer and said that the bushing in the cover and the one on the fixed sheave were hosed and that it would be $360 to have it rebuilt, so I told him not to do anything to it yet.
As it is now I have a few lines on good used clutches, if one of them pans out I think I'll go that route for this year, so long as whatever I end up with can get balanced and be ready to roll before I leave next Thursday for a week. If not, I'll take insurance out on the sled and light on fire and go buy a new one I guess :D

N

nitris223

Nov 26, 2007
Cover bushing and moveable sheave bushing are only $45 CDN for both. You should be able to find good used weights for a decent price on snowest or other sites. Getting it all sent to you and assembled before next thursday could be the problem.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Thats pretty hammered. The money you are going to spend to rebuild it would probably be better towards a new one, or maybe you could find a used one in decent shape for about what it would cost to rebuild it. You could patch it together, but I don't think it would be the best way to spend your dollar.

Winter brew knows his clutching for the 8's. I was running 10-64's with 140/320 spring and SLP 50/34 mountain helix with SLP yellow/purple spring with my twins, recomended by Winter Brew. I ran the 10-64's with my SLP single also stock helix and spring. Can't remember my primary spring.

x2. Rebuilding is almost as much as buying new.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Hey Cowboy I got the tools to get it apart you can use them if you want.

In fact I would be willing to help you get it apart and tell you exactly what it needs and what it doesn't. If your weights are good just bushings shot, the bushings are only about $15 instead of $70 for new weights.

I bet you could do that whole thing for just a bit over $100 if you are smart about it. Then balancing and belt.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Hey Cowboy I got the tools to get it apart you can use them if you want.

In fact I would be willing to help you get it apart and tell you exactly what it needs and what it doesn't. If your weights are good just bushings shot, the bushings are only about $15 instead of $70 for new weights.

I bet you could do that whole thing for just a bit over $100 if you are smart about it. Then balancing and belt.
devil I sent you a PM with my phone number, give me a shout when you get a chance.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I ended up buying a clutch on Ebay that has already been rebuilt and balanced by SLP, hopefully I can just bolt the sucker on and let 'er rip. Got it for under $250 after shipping so I think I did pretty good, came off an 02.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
Good deal.

Got your pm, not that you need it now but I wouldn't have time till after Christmas to help you. Was trying to get some time this weekend but it didn't work. X-mas shopping and riding tomorrow.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Good deal.

Got your pm, not that you need it now but I wouldn't have time till after Christmas to help you. Was trying to get some time this weekend but it didn't work. X-mas shopping and riding tomorrow.
No worries man! I finished up the sleds last night- all greased up, coolant and oil topped off, just need fuel and we are ready to go. I threw my clutch alignment tool under the hood so that when I get the new clutch bolted on I can check it out and be ready to rock.

Premium Features