• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride Report: 2009 M8 Sno Pro and M1000 Sno Pro

F
Jan 26, 2008
Fish Lake, WA
Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in some feedback on these great new sleds. I have always been a big fan of arctic Cat, despite the fact I own an XP as well :) I was lucky enough to get a personal invite from Waldron's Arctic cat to ride these sleds today, and they are VERY nice. Here are my thoughts. Keep in mind this is just one guy's opinion ... others may disagree.

First, and maybe most importantly, these sleds are MUCH lighter! Will give the Rev XP's a run for the money for light sled in 2009. You can really feel that they scrubbed a lot of weight off of these things. To be specific, a M8 Sno Pro 153 will weigh in at 456 pounds dry. That is a HUGE reduction over last year. Artic Cat will guarantee that the weight they promise now will be delivered in the fall production sleds, or they will issue a $500 refund to all who snowcheck a 2009. Colors are white(with orange), black(with green), or special LE "camo" package in black, grey, and white. Snow checkers will get a free Boss seat, double the engine warranty, and creative finance options. Plus, the auto adjust handlebars thrown in.

Fox shocks were very good, and suspension worked very well on both th 162 and 153's. These things climb hills very well. Good balance, and easy to maneuver. Impressive.

Power was very strong ... felt stronger than the 2008's to me. They scrubbed 10 pounds out of the track, and it took 10 less HP to turn the track this year as compared to last. Rotation and RPM's spin up very quickly. Power was instant, hard, and kept pulling. Surprisingly, I though the M8 felt like it had the same pull (or near) is seat of the pants feel as the M1000.

The M1000 to me was a tad nose heavy ... and harder to throw around. I am 240 pounds and at times the 1000 made me really work. The M8, on the other hand, had perfect balance, and seemed to know what I wanted it to do intuitively.

The built in knee pads and auto-adjust "on the fly" handlebar height adjusters were magic. Very nice. also great storage on this sled, and the running boards seemed to let snow through much better. They were grippier than last year.

The track on this thing was fantastic. Great grip ... great climber. And AC pulled the bogey wheels in about 6" on each side, so when you are sidehilling, the track conforms to the hill and it is much easier to hold. GREAT idea.

If I had to pick one achilles heel ... it would be the skis. I didn't care for them too much. Darty ... and too narrow for a hill climbing powder sled. Easy fix though ... just put on a Powder Pro or Simmons ski, and you will be set.

Artic Cat has this M sled dialed in ... it is the best Arctic Cat I have ever ridden. You will not be disappointed come next season, believe me. Thank you Harvey, for the invite. Great day, and great sleds. :beer;

Mark

Last edited:
F
Jan 26, 2008
Fish Lake, WA
no pics????? did you find anything untracked at the secret location!!!!LOL

Secret location was not so secret ... but was mid week riding. Saw only 4 or 5 sleds all day. BEAUTIFUL sunny, 55 degree spring riding day. Blue skies and sun. Snow was hard and crusty. No powder which is a bummer.

No pics ... I don't think they would let us take any :)

You will dig the new M Sleds. Good stuff.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
I will be riding them on Saturday with Waldron's and I look forward to trying them out.

Not sure if there are going to be enough differences to what I have now that will make it worth buying a new one but we shall see.

Looks like its snowing in the cascades right now with up to 15 inches expected tomorrow so I hope to get the chance to really see how they perform.

Myself i have been a huge cat fan since the first m7 come out , but this year i have been really disapointed in cat , the only thing they really changed is the rear bumper and suspension , in my eyes all the credit should go to skidoo they made the biggest changes so far ya they have there problems but who doesnt really, take my 07 m1000 i put a new hmp seat on it (lighter than a BOSS) and d and d big dog barker can and ,side vents , and bdx rear bumper and high flow intake , and i am lighter than the new cat and have more power , and thats all the eng at cat could come up someones being a real Dog F@*&er there !! thats just my thoughts on cat this year

Nov 26, 2007
carberry, manitoba
so if you did all that stuff to your sled that you bought, after spending that much coin, imagine what you will be able to end up with if you bought a new 09 cat and spent that much money on aftermarket parts!!
i think kudos has to go out to cat. they are watching aftermarket trends more closely than ever and seeing the most mods done to these sleds and then offering them within a couple years with all that stuff on them. c'mon, offering them with a boss seat stock? cool in my opinion.
i dont think we should bash cat for their efforts. they have to try please everyone at the same time. they are generic sleds for everyone. then, if you want to tailor it to you, then great. i think it is great that skidoo has come out with what they did. regardless if they breakdown or not. it sends the rest of the guys back to the drawing board and then we all benefit. if you like skidoo that much then dont come on here complaining. just go buy a skidoo.
that is my .02 cents.
clarence

S
Nov 27, 2007
Centerville Utah
Myself i have been a huge cat fan since the first m7 come out , but this year i have been really disapointed in cat , the only thing they really changed is the rear bumper and suspension , in my eyes all the credit should go to skidoo they made the biggest changes so far ya they have there problems but who doesnt really, take my 07 m1000 i put a new hmp seat on it (lighter than a BOSS) and d and d big dog barker can and ,side vents , and bdx rear bumper and high flow intake , and i am lighter than the new cat and have more power , and thats all the eng at cat could come up someones being a real Dog F@*&er there !! thats just my thoughts on cat this year

I highly doubt that you are that much lighter than the new cat's. D&D can 15 lbs, seat MAYBE 10, rear bumper and intake MAYBE 10 to 12 lbs. Cat took 10 lbs out of the 08' with the skid, and front end, and then in 09' the have taken another 30 if you snowcheck. That is 40lbs in two years since your 07 sled, plus a lot less rotating mass with the track, and loss of mechanical reverse, and better suspension. Yes you will have more power by a bit, but not much,and taking 40lbs out in two years is impressive by anyone's book, and it's all stock, plus you can put a lightweight can on the 09 and be way ahead. I think that cat did a great job this year and I am betting they go like jack the bear.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
mountain sleds are sure coming into there own!!! just a few years ago you couldn't even get a decent set of bars! cudos to cat for making a sled that comes stock with features most of us do once we get the thing. yes they are really paying attention to the customers and what we want in a sled. how close is the new M in weight to the skidoo? almost as light and 100 times more reliable, makes a winner in my book:) brp took a big risk with the xp, obviously putting it out before they had done enough r&d. sales will show if the skidoo following are willing to go another year on faith that things will improve. i hope brp pays attention to all the problems they've had this year and really put forth an effort to improve the reliabiltiy of the sled, sometimes reliabiltity will have to take a front seat to weight reduction. will be a good thing for all if the competion stays strong...

F
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Personally I think Ski-doo went to light,so if Cat can be 20-30 lbs. heavier and keep the realiability I would be impressed.Oh,and I have been riding Doos for awhile now,like the XP concept,just not real confident in the durability.Just one farmers personal opinion.

Premium Features