• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what is your oil ratio

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
just was wondering what the oil ratio is suppose to be for our sleds. 32:1? 50:1? is it any different for premix or oil injected? i have an 06 600 rmk but i imagine it is the same for all two strokes. no? i felt my oil consumption was low so i turned up my oil pump so i figured i pencil out what ratio i am at and compare. thanks

pv

T
Dec 6, 2007
If you are using the injection the rate changes with throttle position so it will be very difficult to tell by figuring it out. I am not sure but I believe that at idle it is close to 100/1 and reaches its max ratio at around ½ to 5/8 throttle, maybe someone here knows the exact figures.

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
The oil pump certainly puts out less oil at lower (and idle) throttle settings, but you're using less fuel at those times also. When I get a new sled, I'll top off the gas and oil and then run a few tanks of fuel thru w/o topping off the oil. I'll then top off both fuel and oil and will have carefully recorded how much of each.

I then divided the ounces of oil used by the ounces of fuel used and arrive at the ratio. I shoot somewhere about 40:1 or a little higher....

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
yeah i did this my ratio came out to about 55:1. i only used 5.6 gallons though. i'll check it the next couple of tanks and see if it is the same.

pv

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
on my 1200 and my turbo I premix at 40:1, injected sleds should run inbetween 40-50:1

M
Dec 21, 2007
Washington
The oil pump certainly puts out less oil at lower (and idle) throttle settings, but you're using less fuel at those times also. When I get a new sled, I'll top off the gas and oil and then run a few tanks of fuel thru w/o topping off the oil. I'll then top off both fuel and oil and will have carefully recorded how much of each.

I then divided the ounces of oil used by the ounces of fuel used and arrive at the ratio. I shoot somewhere about 40:1 or a little higher....

So the big question is HOW do you change it?

I have not seen this anywhere and no one has said how either in replies to my query.

T
Dec 6, 2007
The cable that goes down to the pump is adjustable, and the lever has markings on it that line up to a mark on the pump itself. I adjust mine so that the two mark line up at idle because the pump is wide open after half throttle anyway. It is not easy to see on most sleds, you may want to use a small mirrror so you can see what you are doing. Hope this helps

Premium Features