• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 Arctic Cat M7

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Fort St. John, British Columbia
I bought a manual... Super helpful so far! Except it mentions something about making sure all the coolant is out of the motor and after you drain it there's still about 1.75 oz in it... and you have to use a vacuum pump to get the rest out, which I did not do. I don't know how critical it is to have that last bit of coolant out of it is.

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Glad that you got it figured out but in case anyone searches looking for torque specs, here ya go.

M7pg1.jpg

M7pg2.jpg

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I bought a manual... Super helpful so far! Except it mentions something about making sure all the coolant is out of the motor and after you drain it there's still about 1.75 oz in it... and you have to use a vacuum pump to get the rest out, which I did not do. I don't know how critical it is to have that last bit of coolant out of it is.

When you pulled the cylinders off was there any coolant that ran into the case (bottom)? Lets hope not. That is the only reason to vacum it.
Have the cylinders honed, use OEM pistons and have the ring gap checked where you have them honed (see your manual).

I had the RKT head. If you can find it used at half price go for it. Otherwise put your coin in the clutching. Stay away from the secondary kits. Had the RKT kit. Went back to the green AC secondary spring. Primary went I with the AC TT spring. If you want to spend $250 call Steve at MDS clutching for primary weights. I don't know if he messed with the M7. He has a money back if you are not happy.

Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah

You don't need to get the last bit of coolant out. Most of what's left probably isn't in the motor anyways, it will be in the heat exchangers. You just don't want any getting in or on the crank itself.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Just got to looking at your pictures. Stuff rags in the case!!!!!!!!
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.
Never let the lower end stay open. 8oz of dirt will distroy a V-8.

Also dump about 3oz of oil in each side of the lower case before installing the cylinders. Helps with first start lubrication. It will smoke real bad at first.

Be very clean, picky and it will pay off in the end.

Heat cycle it 2-3 times.

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
When putting the rings on the pistons, make sure the little "R" that is stamped by the nothch is facing UP!

Also, make sure the notch is around the pin in the piston when putting the cylinder on. If its not, you will break the ring. The cylinder should go on fairly easy. Do not force it - this usually means the ring is not properly aligned.

On the cylinders, criss-cross:

Front PTO Outside
Rear PTO Center
Front PTO Center
Rear PTO Outsie

Then do the MAG in the same sequence. Torgue to 20 ft lbs first, then finish at 42 - 44 ft lbs.

Those are the same torque specs I've always used without a problem. As far as a head pattern to tighten, in the past I've always just tightened one corner bolt then the opposite and so forth in a criss cross pattern as best as can be done.

This is actually partially wrong. You need to start in the center of the head and work your way out. It doesn't matter if you start in front or back, as long as you start in the center. I do the rear, center PTO (clutch) side bolt first, then criss-cross:

Rear Center PTO
Front Center MAG
Rear Center MAG
Front Center PTO

Rear Middle MAG
Front Middle PTO
Rear Middle PTO
Front Middle MAG

Rear Outside PTO
Front Outside MAG
Front Outside PTO
Rear Outside MAG

Do as mentioned though, tighten to 10-15 ft lbs first, then go back through to 22 - 25 ft lbs on the head.

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
Also, when putting the cir-clips back in that hold the piston pin in, put a towel under the piston covering the crankcase. This will keep the cir-clip out of the case until you get comfortable with putting them in. Because you will slip and the cir-clip will fly!:face-icon-small-ton

Make sure the gap in the circlip is either straight up or straight down. Straight down is the perfered orientation, plus they are easier to remove if you ever rebuild again.

Just remember, dirt and grit are your enemy. If you hone the cylinders (strongly reccommend) make sure you wash them throughly. The tiny silica particles from the hone will score the cylinders if they aren't cleaned out.

HINT: Use a rigid hone, NOT a ball hone. The ball hones catch in the ports and can chip and damage the cylinders around the ports.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
I have no clue what "honing" the cylinders means... haha.

I didn't SEE any coolant get into the lower crankcase, but... I don't know. :face-icon-small-dis
Eyes can be deceiving. Is there any way to actually SEE if there's coolant in there? Also; I did cover the crankcase with a rag, don't worry :face-icon-small-ton

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Take your cylinders to your Cat dealer or Harley dealer or good machine shop. Have them rough up the cylinder walls with a hone. It puts scratches in the cylinder walls in a cross pattern from top to bottom. This helps the new piston rings seet or wear in. At the same time give them your new OEM pistons and rings. They will put the rings on the pistons and match them for each cylinder. Don't mix them up when you get them back if they are not the same. What they are doing is grinding the end of the rings to get the proper gap. Don't miss this step.

Lots of oil soaking when putting back together. I use STP on the pistons because it is sticky and stays with the pistons and rings for the first fire up.

You should see signs of coolant on the crank or other parts. Little besds of water. If not you are probably good.

Keep pictures comming.

Last edited:

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
Well... Dad and I went and looked in the crankcase for coolant... Stuck a syringe with a little hose on it down there, there's definitely some coolant on the left side. (Looking from the back of the sled.) Yet the right side is almost dead dry. I was thinking I'd just suck all the coolant out with the syringe? Do you guys think that could work?

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Yeah, get all the coolant out of there you can, then put a couple of ounces of oil back in there and turn the motor over slowly a few times to distribute it to everything and you'll be fine.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
I got all the coolant out. Every drop of it... but I got bored and was looking at the cylinders a bit. I found this on the left cylinder. (Left from the front of the sled, I don't know which sides mag and which side is PTO.)

IMG_0102.jpg IMG_0101.jpg IMG_0100.jpg

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
PTO is clutch side, Mag is the Magneto (stator) side.

That cylinder should not be used again, it needs to be sent in and re-nikasil'd.

Welcome to M7 ownership. Mine looked like that @ 2k miles. I paid ~700 for a new pair of jugs.

S
Feb 21, 2009
yep

Mine also, but eric at racinstation has them on shelf for 199.00 with your old one to exchange in.. Looks like you were close to a seizer soon.

Chris6060

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2009
That's the MAG side cylinder then... *sigh* Okay. It just snowed literally 2 feet here over night. Lots of snow shoveling today, no one even went to school. The snow is killing me, I can't wait to ride! Dad's new Pro-Climb is giving him the itch too.

Anyway... I guess I'll get that side re-done. Replaced, re-nikasiled or whatever we need to do.

Premium Features