• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 HCR Ride Reports???? Anyone???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

cobaltpilot

Nov 26, 2007
BC
Has anyone had a chance to get out on the M8 HCR?

Let's hear it. I'd like to know how it's working for you out there.

Thanks for the feedback.
:)

K
Dec 6, 2007
Well, i did 220kms with mine, trail only.

I really like the sled. Seat is really firm, but i am used to boss seats (that's what i had on my 1M).

Suspension is great, ive lowered the psi in my float to 120, i will bring it to 100. I am 185.

Skis are really good, deep keel is working A1.

Performance is awesome, and will get better after few more kms.

Track is working really good on firm snow.

Didnt try in the deep snow yet, not enough snow here for now :(

No negative point for now, my first M sled. Maybe the telescopic handlebar, shaky at idle.

Mileage... 220kms for 29$ of fuel at 0.75$/L (like i said, first miles, different mapping for fuel/oil)

Sorry, i am in Canada so everything is in Liters and Kilometers :p

M
Dec 12, 2007
northeastern alberta
have 525 km`s on my 09 m8, engine really woke up after about 300 km`s. Sled rips, stays with my 08 m1000. both sleds are bone stock and same track length of 162". That 800 motor has a lot of get up and go.

B
Had mine out the other day. Only put on about about 15 to 20 km. Need to replace my servo, but even in limp mode it was staying on top and carving with no effort. We were in about 4' of fresh powder with no base. (on the trail). Didn't go into the cut blocks because of no base. I had the sled at work new years eve and put it on the scales with a full tank and it weighed exactly 550 lbs with no mods. That's over 100 lbs less than my '01 MC800 which was my last ride, so you can believe I am extremely happy with the HCR.

S
Sep 12, 2008
@ 10,000 Feet CO.
325 miles on my HCR

I have 325 mi on my hcr. I think its a good sled mine is a factory sled so it DOES have different mapping and I put a VOHK intake on her and a SS can. I also put a set of stock M skies on it and it is much better in the powder. Being a factory race sled I have to run race gas or mix Aviation gas in my fuel mix. If I run 91 it does not have the same power or punch as with the race fuel. It works well in left overs and carves up hill like a beast. The suspension still needs a bit of tuning but all in all I think the HCR is a winner and a damn good sled. It will also wax a stock M8 no problem over and over again. People are saying the mapping is the same as an M8 but that is only true with the consumer version of the HCR. :D

B
I have 325 mi on my hcr. I think its a good sled mine is a factory sled so it DOES have different mapping and I put a VOHK intake on her and a SS can. I also put a set of stock M skies on it and it is much better in the powder. Being a factory race sled I have to run race gas or mix Aviation gas in my fuel mix. If I run 91 it does not have the same power or punch as with the race fuel. It works well in left overs and carves up hill like a beast. The suspension still needs a bit of tuning but all in all I think the HCR is a winner and a damn good sled. It will also wax a stock M8 no problem over and over again. People are saying the mapping is the same as an M8 but that is only true with the consumer version of the HCR. :D

My understanding was that all 500 of the HCRs produced had different mapping than the original '09 M8s.

snakeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Montana
Hcr

My friend has one with a pump gas turbo since new and it has been working very well:D

K
Dec 6, 2007
In the owners manual, it says to run 87 octane fuel. Higher octane fuel will not affect performances. This is exactly what they are saying, so i am running 87 in my HCR.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Have 2 days on one. Very good sled. Wider ski stance takes some getting used to throwing the sled on its side but you get used to it quick. Rear suspension is amazing through the woops. Power Claw track it very versatile. :beer;

S
Sep 12, 2008
@ 10,000 Feet CO.
In the owners manual, it says to run 87 octane fuel. Higher octane fuel will not affect performances. This is exactly what they are saying, so i am running 87 in my HCR.

Are you running a Race Dept. sled or a consumer sled? The RD sleds HAVE different mapping. Yes they will run on 87 but they will not run to full potential. I have tested with 110octain, Ave gas and pump gas the RD sled runs much better on race fuel of hi oct. Anyone else have any good info on these things.

K
Dec 6, 2007
Are you running a Race Dept. sled or a consumer sled? The RD sleds HAVE different mapping. Yes they will run on 87 but they will not run to full potential. I have tested with 110octain, Ave gas and pump gas the RD sled runs much better on race fuel of hi oct. Anyone else have any good info on these things.

Consumer sled, probably.

I bought it tru my dealer

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca

i disagree on that. I have a race dept HCR that i run on 91... it flat out rips.
I do believe that have a mid range lean spot that higher octane fuel might help out with (hence the recomendations for race/av gas). I try to stay on full throttle or off it completely as much as possible to avoid that mid range lean spot.

Either way the sled runs circles around everything else. Suspension is awesome (stiff down a trail, but butter smooth off huge hits)

IMO the stiffer track is actually the better preforming track. It has soften up considerably and runs really well in the pow pow, and still hooks up really good on packed surfaces. I am glad i chose to stick with the stiffer powder claw track.

My only complaint is I dislike the wider ski stance. Its retardedly wide and never really fits on 2 place trailers...

K
Dec 6, 2007
How do we know if we have a Race one or a normal one? :)

Clutching is the same?

How do we upgrade to the Race setup? Thank you

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
How do we know if we have a Race one or a normal one? :)

Clutching is the same?

How do we upgrade to the Race setup? Thank you

I dont have an answer for that. I got my sled through the arctic cat race program.

My clutch set us was changed before it was delivered to me as part of the sponsorship deal. Set up by 1 mister Dale Cutler... its a ripper for sure!

J

jp@weknowsnow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado/Wyoming
weknowsnow.com
great sled.. i have 300 miles or so on mine already.. co2.0 has been riding the other one. track is great, powers through the deep. i adjusted the skis to the narrowest position and it feels a bit better boondocking.. its a great sled for access snowboarding as well!

IMG_0226.jpg

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I talked to racinstation about the HCR having a different ecu mapping and Eric said no. The HCR has the same engine and electronics as the standard M8. The key to these 09's is clutching. If you run in the 6-9K range than install some 70 gram weights with the slp blue/yellow primary spring and they rip hard. Most like to be run at around 7800rpm.

Premium Features