• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float Skid Setups

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Oct 21, 2008
Newfoundland
Will Geo's mod work on a 09 crossfire sp. I find my sled has a lot of ski pressure and would like a little more weight transfer for wheelies :D. Im only around 165+ gear so im not sure where to set the shock for pressure.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I have tried just about every possible stock adjustment as far as air pressures, spring preload, and rear suspension mounting holes.
I weigh 195 and run between 90-100lbs in the rear shock.
I like running in the lower 90's initially but after the skid fills with snow it bottoms so I run closer to 100 most of the time.
This way the sled sags but I don't pay attention to that, just how it rides and whether it bottoms or not... If I run high pressure it feels lika 2x4.
Rebound is too slow regardless of air pressure, especially for the trail or lots of bumps.
The mid shock I run with the preload maxed out which doesn't really do anything... The spring will bottom and not hold the weight of the sled let alone with a rider on it.
My next thing will be to try a stiffer or dual spring on the mid shock.
As far as skid mounting holes go the fun factor and ski pressure goes to the front being lowered and rear in stock upper.
Only problem is that it trenches more this way.
Running both in the lower seems to work almost as good as stock location but sled is slightly more tippy and may trench slightly more than stock as well as slightly more ski pressure and possibly more aproach angle.
Stock mounting positions and soft rear shock has worked the best for me.
I mostly worry about how it goes in the powder, not how it rides on the trail.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I have tried just about every possible stock adjustment as far as air pressures, spring preload, and rear suspension mounting holes.
I weigh 195 and run between 90-100lbs in the rear shock.
I like running in the lower 90's initially but after the skid fills with snow it bottoms so I run closer to 100 most of the time.
This way the sled sags but I don't pay attention to that, just how it rides and whether it bottoms or not... If I run high pressure it feels lika 2x4.
Rebound is too slow regardless of air pressure, especially for the trail or lots of bumps.
The mid shock I run with the preload maxed out which doesn't really do anything... The spring will bottom and not hold the weight of the sled let alone with a rider on it.
My next thing will be to try a stiffer or dual spring on the mid shock.
As far as skid mounting holes go the fun factor and ski pressure goes to the front being lowered and rear in stock upper.
Only problem is that it trenches more this way.
Running both in the lower seems to work almost as good as stock location but sled is slightly more tippy and may trench slightly more than stock as well as slightly more ski pressure and possibly more aproach angle.
Stock mounting positions and soft rear shock has worked the best for me.
I mostly worry about how it goes in the powder, not how it rides on the trail.

Yes, i agree with everything you are saying. I believe the following setup is the cheapest and most optimal overall setup:

1. Stock mounting holes front and rear (upper holes for the both)
2. replace front skid spring with a dual spring setup
3. Revalve the both skid shocks. Rear is the most important as rebound is too slow.

To add the final touch add an Air Chamber for increased air volume and "dual spring rates" for the rear. I can run 120psi and 160psi in the rear now and it's still plush, climbs awesome, and doesn't sag under its own weight.

C
Jan 9, 2009
Instructions for "geo mod"

Having a hard time putting it all together in my head. Could someone please put all the info in one post so I can print. Computer at work, sled at home, memory not that good. Thanks.

KMOD

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Firth
kmodsnowmobileparts.com
The stock Float shock in the A/C skid has a very small orifice hole and does not flow enough oil, Andy at GSR has a valving spec that we use on the KMOD and we are testing it.
We will keep you posted.
Kevin
KMOD

With 3 rides under our belt I can say that this is the best bang for the buck, The GSR revalve works great, much smoother ride, better transfer, and rebounds like it suppose to.
Andy at GSR, 208-716-0475

S
Okay, help me out here. I'm trying to understand the info's in this thread.

My 2009 153" M8 seems to trench quite a bit. Am I to understand then that less preload in the front spring of the skid is going to alleviate this somewhat? I've currently got 135psi in the rear float and (if I recall correctly) 55psi in each ski float.

Thing is, I'm probably aboot 280-290lbs in all my gear. On a rough trail, I don't think the back of the skid is bottoming out, but it almost felt like the front was (might have just been the square edged de-act's I was hitting though too.) The roughest trails are getting groomed finally though so it should be less of an issue there.

How many turns on that front skid spring will it take for me to notice a difference? I loosened it off about one and half turns tonight. Won't be able to try it though until next weekend at the earliest (hopefully).

Another thing, what effect would I expect shortening the limiter strap a notch and leaving the preload in the spring tight? I would think the idea here is to keep the front of the skid up so as to keep a good shallow approach angle, right? Or is that going to cause a bunch of other problems?

C
Jan 9, 2009
With 3 rides under our belt I can say that this is the best bang for the buck, The GSR revalve works great, much smoother ride, better transfer, and rebounds like it suppose to.
Andy at GSR, 208-716-0475

Is there anyone in Alberta or the rest of Canada that does this revalve? I would hate to send it south and get hung up in customs for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA

My 2009 153" M8 seems to trench quite a bit. Am I to understand then that less preload in the front spring of the skid is going to alleviate this somewhat? I've currently got 135psi in the rear float and (if I recall correctly) 55psi in each ski float.

Thing is, I'm probably aboot 280-290lbs in all my gear. On a rough trail, I don't think the back of the skid is bottoming out, but it almost felt like the front was (might have just been the square edged de-act's I was hitting though too.) The roughest trails are getting groomed finally though so it should be less of an issue there.

How many turns on that front skid spring will it take for me to notice a difference? I loosened it off about one and half turns tonight. Won't be able to try it though until next weekend at the earliest (hopefully).

Another thing, what effect would I expect shortening the limiter strap a notch and leaving the preload in the spring tight? I would think the idea here is to keep the front of the skid up so as to keep a good shallow approach angle, right? Or is that going to cause a bunch of other problems?

I can only speak to the sno pro, but i feel the stock front skid spring is WAY too soft. Any large bumps and bottom out city... That's why i suggested the spring stack from Holz (are any other people that carry the springs).

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA

I watched another 08 M1k trench pretty bad last weekend with the limiters all the way out. I run the Geo mod, limiters in the middle, 1/4 preload, and 150 in the rear. ( Im 235lbs ) I have found this to be a pretty good balance. Good trail manners and ski pressure, and good in the deep with good transfer.

TRy to find balance for your riding style. Spring preload on this skid seem to make noticeable changes to steering feel. Try to make changes when you are out riding if you can. Yes on the approach angle, but you pull it up too much and you will kill the ride quality. I dont like the M chassis with heavy ski pressure. I think its best to make one change at a time and try it out on and off trail.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Has anyone changed longer shock to front shock? I noticed while installed my float suspension to my CF7 that there's room for much longer shock. Longer shock would allow use softer initial rate spring but end rate can be harder. So soft but no bottoming out.

That silly short front shock seems to be in every american sled out there. The trails must be highways as there's no improvement in shocks. Here in Finland we have horrible trails (if asked from someone not living in scandinavian :D) so local sled brand (Lynx) uses real shocks also in front. You can bash them really hard but still they are nice and comfortable when needed.

So why not using the same idea in mountain sleds?

Dual spring set

Was in McBride BC riding yesterday and the trail in was brutal to say the least. 30 km of 1 ft. deep moguls!!!! I am interested in trying out the dual spring set for the fox zero pro center shock in my 09 M8 162. Is there anyone that knows where I can get one here in Canada. Can't take another beating like that.

I am 185lbs with gear and run 55psi in the fronts and
110psi in the back float. Other than the trail manners of the skid I love the way it works.

Thanks.

SPDFREEK

S

sledbilly

Apr 9, 2007
this is a good thread about running air chambers (Nextech/Fett bros) with the fox floats.

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=391129

I have an 09 xfire 800 with floats in the front and rear. bad pogo and jarring hits thru the bars. trying to run lower psi to get more travel and body roll/sag becomes an issue.

I installed the nextech air chambers front and rear and what a change. I can now run 60psi in the fronts (10 turns out on the chambers) and get way more travel out of the shocks. I believe these are gen I floats and on the fox website you can see where they are addressing this with evols that have a chamber, way $$$$. I was at the point where I was going to put the coil overs back on the sled.

some of the best $$ I've spent on the sled and well worth it, imo.

S

As an update, I softened the front skid spring about 1.5 - 2 whole turns, somewhere in there anyway. I think it made quite a difference in how it goes through the snow. Doesn't seem to trench nearly as bad now. Haven't had it on a rough trail since then though. And then again, we have a fairly decent base now compared to in December, so who knows. I'm happy enough with it.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Does anyone have a part number for the dual stage spring for the middle shock?
Or a place to buy it? Thanks

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Does the Geo mod work on the 09 m8 snowpro's 153 trying to find the best setup for boondocking and powder

Also whats some good starting air pressures for the front and rear. around 220pounds with gear

thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features