• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need help m1100 turbo barley starts and does not want to stay running

mn1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Minnesota
Need help 2012 m1100 turbo barley starts. I can keep it running for a little bit but i have to feather throttle to keep it running and it runs very rough.

It had a boondocker fuel controller that I disconnected. It still runs the same.

Took the plugs out they looked fine. Compression in each cylinder hole seemed about the same by feel. My gauge does not have small enough adaptor.

Temp flashes on the gauge when I can keep it running longer than 30 seconds.

Almost seems like it is out of time.

Any ideas?

No codes other than sometime knock sensor (which is because of the way it is running). :juggle:

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I've seen similar due to bad injector, temp sensor or thermostat.

mn1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Minnesota
Today I worked on the sled a little more. I pulled one spark plug cap off at a time and turned it over. It acted the same whether I had the right or left plug cap pulled. With either one of the caps pulled it would fire and sort of run a little bit.

I don't think it is the thermostat or temp sensor because it does not run good from the start.

If it was a bad injector it would act different when I pulled the right or left plug cap.

mn1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Minnesota
I put new plugs in it new gas and a new fuel filter. It still runs the same. I will look at the air control valve.

N
Feb 5, 2017
Kingsford, MI
Starting issue

So, what did you do to the sled prior to this happening? New parts, can’t anything or just getting ready to ride this year and then this issue? What had happened to mine last year, I had the sled apart doing things and when I put the steering post and everything else back together, I must have pinch the throttle cable tight and it pulled on the throttle butterfly.
The sled would fire and then just die right away. New plugs, fuel and filter? Wtf?? Thought maybe the TSS? Disconnect and the sled would take right off! Talking with Ethan from Moorhouse Motorsports, the TSS was doing it’s job, and that I should check my work over. Turns out the throtthrottle butterfly was intact open just a hair and the engine thought it wanted to take off and thus the functional TSS. Just check your throttle AND make sure it’s adjusted correctly.

Sounds silly but I assure you it is a real problem and sounds like what you are stating. Hope this helps!

mn1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Minnesota
I just adjusted the throttle cable. The sled seems to run better but it still does not want to stay running. The sled will start right up but it does not want to stay running. I have to feather the throttle to keep it running and then the temp light will flash after about 30 seconds.

I checked compression 125 in each cylinder.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Thermostat not opening and the sled going into limp mode? Or bad temp sensor, putting it into limp mode. Everything you say about it running normal for a bit and then running poorly points to the sled going into limp mode to prevent it from overheating/damaging the motor.

C
Mar 14, 2016
I am having similar issues. Was getting OCTN alarm over half throttle and backfires more than usual too. Would like to know what you figure out. I've done my fuel pickups, new fuel filter, plugs look good, stock gap. Disconnected TSS, put stock battery back in, TPS is suspect, but reads okay, maybe a little higher ohms at idle. Ive completely drained the tank twice, took it off and turned it upside down. Not sure what else to try, but seems fuel related.

T
Jan 24, 2015
Sask
Like Mike says check fuses and make sure wires haven't pulled out of fuse box. But to me it sounds like head gasket. Mine did the same thing and ended up being the head gasket blown out between the 2 cylinders.

Premium Features