• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grip thickness and throttle

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
So I had to change out my grip heaters. In doing so, I changed out
my grips. I do not like the latest grips from Cat. Too thin, too slick. I just prefer a thicker grip and went with ODI. So, I put down 1/16 padded type of an insulation on the bar, then to firm it up a bit, I used a small layer of electrical tape. Then the new heaters and then the new grips. Its feels very good in my hand but it is definitely thicker. Do I need to be concerned about not getting full throttle? I don’t think I’ve ever felt like I need to cram the flipper through the bar to get a little more. Are there adjustments I can make if I took some full throttle away?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
So I had to change out my grip heaters. In doing so, I changed out
my grips. I do not like the latest grips from Cat. Too thin, too slick. I just prefer a thicker grip and went with ODI. So, I put down 1/16 padded type of an insulation on the bar, then to firm it up a bit, I used a small layer of electrical tape. Then the new heaters and then the new grips. Its feels very good in my hand but it is definitely thicker. Do I need to be concerned about not getting full throttle? I don’t think I’ve ever felt like I need to cram the flipper through the bar to get a little more. Are there adjustments I can make if I took some full throttle away?

I have big hands and still prefer the skinny grips over the thick ones. Feels like I can hold on better and the heaters are more effective

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’m going to give it a try, I doubt I’m losing any throttle.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
pull the hood and have someone hold the throttle open while you make sure your butterflies are perfectly flat inside the TBs. also remove any excess slack in the throttle cable.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
FYI I did electrical tape over my heaters before the grips went on to help keep from damaging the elements if a grip slips. Now when the element heats up the adhesive on the tape gets slimy and the grips are all over the place. Worst mod I've tried in a long time. Good thing another set of grips and heaters are relatively cheap.

I've thought about the grip thickness and throttle opening thing before. I just take all the slack out of the cable and run it. I'm not going to give up my ODI Ruffian grips.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
FYI I did electrical tape over my heaters before the grips went on to help keep from damaging the elements if a grip slips. Now when the element heats up the adhesive on the tape gets slimy and the grips are all over the place. Worst mod I've tried in a long time. Good thing another set of grips and heaters are relatively cheap.

I've thought about the grip thickness and throttle opening thing before. I just take all the slack out of the cable and run it. I'm not going to give up my ODI Ruffian grips.

Learned the hard way on the electrical tape myself. I been running odi grips for years and never felt I was losing any throttle

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I did look at the throttle bodies and at full throttle they were only opening about 75%. I don’t think it was grip related though. I adjusted the cable and have full motion now.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I like thin grips (especially since gloves are involved) because they don't pump up my forearms. The ODI ruffians are pretty thin, about where the newer stock AC ones are I'd say. This is what the RSI ones are.

Even better than those are some spi ones that look exactly like what comes on polaris sleds. They're the thinnest I've found.

Premium Features