• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Etec hesitation. (Not bog.)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Both of my 2013 Etecs do the SAME thing, it is driving me nuts. Deep snow you don't really notice it, but on the trail...another story.
Both stock, one a Freeride 137, one a 154 XM.
Come down the trail at 30 mph or so, give it 1/4 throttle, it goes, but feels like it is dragging an anchor. After a couple of seconds, BAM, it kicks in and feels like an 800 should. I think it is a powervalve issue or an ECM calibration problem, both sledss are the SAME exactly. Worse at higher elevations (7000+), better at lower (5000). I tried to see the silly hidden guage yesterday, it seemed like the hesistaion would stop around 7000rpm, which makes me thing exhaust valve misadjustment, but the sleds also do another strange hting. Cruise around at 1/4 throttle or less, screwing around in tress, or yesterday I was making rounds at a little double jump, when you mail it, the motor either backfires, coughs, or hesitates. A little un-nerving. Without naming names, I know of at least three or four other people who have said the same thing. This CANNOT be right, has anyone heard of anything like this?
I also use a lot of oil, as do the other sleds that do it, we all leave a nasty black spot on the ground after idling for a short time. I have burned almost 5 gallons of oil in 520 miles Freeride/350 miles XM combined. I know that most of that was breakin, but the consumption hasn't let up once they were done with breakin.
????

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Quick math: I am getting 11mpg with Freeride, 9 with XM. Average 10, even thought the Freeride has more miles, but close enough. 870 miles between the sleds, makes 87 gallons of fuel. 5 gallons of oil to 87 fuel makes 17.4:1 mixture.
Granted, most of that was break-in and supposed to be rich, but ??? I guess I need to do some measuring now that they are off the breakin clock, and see what is up.

sschulz

Premium Member
Mar 21, 2012
Iowa
I've got about 750 miles on my 13 Summit XM 154 - used 2 gallons of oil so far. I think the first trip when the sled was new, I burned through an entire gallon of oil for breakin and then after that for my second two trips this season I used another gallon of oil. I only have an SLP can on it though. It hardly uses any oil right now. I haven't noticed any hesitation in it during acceleration at anytime. Most of my riding has been out at Togwotee or Grand Mesa this season so 8-10,000ft elevation most of the time. Maybe the dealer needs to do an update or reflash on the ecu?

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
On these new sleds, you need to make sure that you don't have any anti-matter in your gaziltafilter. You might also check your blinker fluid and muffler bearings.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Welcome to the etec world, my 2011 was this way clutching would help the problem but I could not get the sled to stop doing it. Doesn't doo have a tsb for loose rave valve nuts on the 2013?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I believe there is a bulletin on exhaust valve nuts loosening.
Also make sure your clutching is loading the engine...does it pull no more than 7900-8000 on the flats? Might just TRY clicking down 1-2 to see if that helps or not. If it is a rate of RPM issue that would point you in the right direction for a cure.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Disappointing. According to the dealer, the bulletin for loose nuts was for 2012 only, I just checked. I would bet it is an ECU calibration/exhaust valve issue, but nobody can tell me anything. I have never seen over 8000 on either sled, I will screw with the clickers I guess. Just doesn't seem right, constant 1/4 throttle shouldn't suddendly "kick in" after a couple seconds like it has turbo lag. Was going to snowcheck a couple new ones next year, but maybe it is time to give the Yamacat a chance, lol.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
We have this occasional back-fire and "stutter" with the ETEC as well.. The backfire will take out the reeds in short order which causes a poor low throttle response and not "1st pull" starting anymore..

The stutter is intermittent and is not that back of a deal. The backfire is also very intermittent but is a bigger deal because of the damage it causes ot the reeds...

Just part of the ETEC scene, I Guess, they all do it and some people just notice it more than others..

I hope 2014 has a remedy for it, but I think the dry bottom end is just too much to handle sometimes and you get those lean pockets (not to be confused with Hot Pockets)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
That's funny you said that, because BRP has had reed failures on these engines. I didn't want to post anything before you said that. Now we know why. They wanted to inspect my Freeride, but refused to order reeds ahead of time, and my sled is not going to sit at the dealer waiting on parts they should have in stock. I just got back from running my Freeride, throttle response sucks all the way through the powerband and it takes 2-3 pulls to start now.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My '11 has some hiccups but the 12 and 13 have not missed a beat, not even during break in. I expect the occasional burble or hesitation and they do happen on some etecs in our group but never anything consistant or predictable. Super impressed with how flawlessly my XM has run....knock on wood.
In your case, something isnt right, I would hope a dealer would investigate and check reeds/EVs and anything else that might cause this.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My "guy" is on vacation, but I am going to go talk to the owner of the shop, there is no reason they cannot have parts on hand for a problem that BRP already acknowledged a few days ago to them. What really has me worried is the multi-pull starting, I noticed that today on the 550 miles Freeride. Haven't noticed it yet on the 350 mile XM.
Sigh.....
If Cat/Poo/Doo could get together on all the stuff they do "right", collaborate on a sled, then EVERYONE could make money and we could all have a good time riding!
But then they don't make money on sleds, they make money on problems.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My reeds are good however my EGT sensor has malfuctioned like 10-15 times since I had the codes cleared after it did it 6 times. (250 miles ago.) Explains my massive oil use, with it going into safe mode all the time. They couldn't reproduce the problem in the field at the shop, but are scrambling to get me going again. Skidoo is backordered, no release date. So they must have had a run of bad ones.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My reeds are good however my EGT sensor has malfuctioned like 10-15 times since I had the codes cleared after it did it 6 times. (250 miles ago.) Explains my massive oil use, with it going into safe mode all the time. They couldn't reproduce the problem in the field at the shop, but are scrambling to get me going again. Skidoo is backordered, no release date. So they must have had a run of bad ones.

Was it the pipe or silencer probe?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
They couldn't tell, which I think is why they were trying to get it to reproduce the problem at the shop. But it doesn't matter, because they are one part number for both, they are hooked together. Smart, huh? :)

C
Dec 28, 2008
Friant, Ca.
FINALLY someone who is experiencing the same issue as me. I don't have any XMs in our group to compare to. Tried everything possible with clutching and gearing. Same symptoms as yours. No power then giant power band at 7000 rpm. Pulls great from 7000-8000 though! I was thinking power valve issue? Heading out to the shop this morning to check them. Only 180 miles on my 2014 XM 154". Please tell me they found the issue? Love the sled but just dont have the low end punch to jump. If i could get that to feel like my rev 1/4 to 1/2 throttle i'll be in heaven!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My 14 does the same thing around 1/4 throttle. It didn't at first, but it has just started now (85% break in left)

I was really enjoying it until this feature showed up ;)

Premium Features