• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1985 SS fuel tank, 4 openings

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
Hey guys, sled didn't want to run today, decided to clean out the fuel system.
Tank is nasty.
There are 4 openings in the tank:
1) fill neck
2) vent
3) outlet
4) mysterious unknown opening, that has a hose and rubber grommet

Any ideas what #4 is for?

The rubber grommet is shot and probably won't seal again, wondering if I can just fiberglass over the opening or if I need to replace it?

Thanks,
KRS

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
You are correct in that there is a sight tube. I don't thenk that epoxy will make a permanent seal. If you are anywhere close to Idaho, I have several of the smaller fuel tanks that don't have that gromet that you'd be welcome to.

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
I wote epoxy, what I should have wrote is fiberglass. Got the tank all cleaned with a length of chain in it, some gas, lots of shaking, and then a powerwash.

Now going to acetone clean the area around the hole, rough it with sandpaper, and fiberglass a patch 5" x 5" or so.

Thank you for the offer!
I live by Burley.
On this SS I would like to keep a larger tank. What were the smaller tanks for?
KRS

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
By smaller tank, I was referring to the tank Polaris used prior to 1990 in the fanners and 1991 in the liquid cooled machine. I think that they are 7.3 gallons.
You're near Burley, Idaho? My daughter-in-law has family down that way and I could get her to haul one that way if you are in that vicinity.

I don't think that you'll get your repair to stick to the plastic. I do think that you could pick up a rubber plug (solid grommet) from an automotive parts place that would plug the hole much better than trying to fiberglass it.

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
Just found out the tank is polyethelene, you're right, it probably wont stick. I would take a tank! Would it fit in a flat rate box? Would be happy to pay shipping.

Having fun working on it, these are my first machines and my son is by my side helping (he's 14.5 yrs old).

Krs

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Go to NAPA and get 2 rubber washers that are solvent resistant. You can get them that are like 3/8" hole that are 1.5" in diameter. Put a short 3/8" bolt with 2 regular flat washers and a nut with them and make a "sealing sandwich" in that hole you don't want to use any more. I've done it several times when moving the tank outlet to a different location on mod sleds.

sled_guy

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I did some checking and the SS tanks are not the same as the Indy tanks that I have. If you could get them to work you'd be welcome to one. Are you down toward Burley, Idaho?

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
Go to NAPA and get 2 rubber washers that are solvent resistant. You can get them that are like 3/8" hole that are 1.5" in diameter. Put a short 3/8" bolt with 2 regular flat washers and a nut with them and make a "sealing sandwich" in that hole you don't want to use any more. I've done it several times when moving the tank outlet to a different location on mod sleds.

sled_guy

Good idea, can't see how to get the fender washer, rubber washer, and bolt (or nut) inside the tank and lined up through the hole. Filler neck is too small.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Run a small wire in from outside the tank through the hole you want to plug. Use another wire to reach down in the filler neck and snag the first wire. Put the washer and rubber grommet on the bolt, wrap the wire around the threads. Pull it through the hole, hold it with needle nose and put your outer rubber grommet, washer, nut on... tight down. It should have enough resistance inside when it bottoms out to allow you to tighten it.

sled_guy

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
CAL Store carries some expandable rubber plugs that you stick into the hole and then tighten a bolt in the center to swell the plug and seal the opening. They are found in the nuts and blts section in the small pull out speciality drawers. Ace Hardware and some auto parts store also have those type products.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
No, I'm not referring to the well nut type plug. These are a solid rubber and have a stud (attached to a solid wasker embedded into the rubber) sticking out and a washer on the face and then a nut on top of the washer. When you tighten the nut, the stud pulls against the internal washer and swells the rubber, thus plugging the hole. I do know they have these for fuel tank applications.

Premium Features