• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MOTORIZED USERS read this!

S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
freezer burn is fictitious

That is one beefy survey. When they talk about off-road engines, I think they are referring to heavy construction equipment... but still theres some good ideas in there. It would be way cool if they can make N America a couple of degrees cooler, maybe drop the snow line 500 or 1000 feet. Make the lowlanders a little happier at least...

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Why don't they just call it, "Run all business to Idaho" Bill. Someone in Montana State Government has a lot of free time on their hands. What the heck is a low carbon, low GHG (green house gas) fuel, anyways. I really can't think of one besides Geothermal, wind, solar, tidal, hydro, all not really fuels, and nuclear I can't see in a automobile. Wood pellets and some ethonal fuels can kinda be thought of as low carbon, but not really. Hydrogen is a energy storage method, not an actual fuel. Can't drill for hydrogen. And, if they think methane (CH4) or Natural Gas is low carbon, they got a bit of math to do. Must be great for one state to save the world.

Last edited:
S
Aug 25, 2001
Minden, Nevada
best burns

That's an interesting point about so-called 'low carbon' fuel. But anyway, wouldn't methane be as low as you can get for anything with carbon in it? Makes two waters for every carbon released. Maybe there are bigger molecules that contain proportionally less carbon but are more energy dense? Hey, and there's TNT, its zero carbon. :eek:
Also, oxidizing the carbon in gasoline is a chemical reaction and so is oxidizing hydrogen in so-called 'fuel cells'. Hydrogen can be mined from water. How come you say H is not a fuel?

Edit -
I just realized that toluene is carbon rich, so there's no carbon solution in TNT afterall.

Last edited:
W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Depends upon the "general public's" definition of a fuel. Hydrogen fuel is more akin to compressed air as a fuel source. It doesn't exist naturally, you have to put energy in to create it. Specifically, you have to put more energy in to it, than you will ever get back out of it. Hydrogen production is incredibly inefficient. The actual definition of a fuel includes Hydrogen fuel, but it's misleading, there's no good word in English to describe it.

Besides Nuclear doesn't oxidize, but it's a fuel. I think of a fuel as a energy source, not a energy storage mechanism. Otherwise compressed air and water behind a dam is a fuel.

Trinitrotoluene (TNT) ==> C6H2(NO2)3CH3 Lots of carbon.

Last edited:
W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Silly me, I limited my definition to the planet. Your right, on the sun hydrogen is a fuel, and so is every element produced by it, up until about iron.

Gravity Powered Lamp

Yha, I know gravity doesn't power it, but it is the potential energy storage mechanism.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
So the message I'm receiving from this one is that some idiot in MT wants to make the state officially go green.
I'm in Idaho, but with one state making changes, normally other states follow.

So what's the plan of attack here?

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Not sure if there is an organized plan of attack.....other than getting everyone we can to fill this thing out. Here is the other info that came along with this email:

Gary E Hall has alerted you to this issue. He is right on target. We must get our vote in on this. A letter to the editor I am sending in to the newspapers is below. Click on the link below. The survey will not take long to fill out. Verdell

ANTI UP TO CONTROL CLIMATE OR NOT

Global warming is a verifiable fact, but whether it is human caused is still open for debate. According to the Assistant Director of the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington DC there is no scientific evidence that humans are causing global warming.

Governor Brian Schweitzer directed the Montana Department of Environmental Quality to establish a Climate Change Advisory Committee. The committee has completed the Montana Climate Change Action Plan. This Plan and a survey can be found on this website: www.deq.state.mt.us. You have an opportunity to vote on the proposed recommendations (regulations) and incentives (money out of your pocket) for controlling the climate. Unfortunately the survey doesn’t give you the benefit of knowing the cost of each item.

This is a serious matter. The degree that this plan is implemented through legislation and state government next session will depend on your support or lack of support of the survey items. Please make your vote count by filling out the survey prior to deadline of February 29. Although you don’t have to give your name, do so to let them know that you are from Montana.

Senator Verdell Jackson

What: Climate Control

Who: Affects everyone in Montana

Why: Montana Climate Control Committee created by the past legislation

Some key issues:

Motorized recreation and emissions.
Burning of forested lands.
Adoption of California standards for vehicle emissions and inspections
Adoption of other state emission standards whether they are applicable to us or not.
Increased charges on natural gas and coal. What does this mean? More expensive energy.

Take a look at the survey. I found very little that didn’t mean more costs for the under paid of Montana. This will affect every aspect of our lives in Montana including any business, state control and permitting of sub divisions and construction, farming, ranching and even how we recreate.

Industry will make the changes thru the years, have and will meet the standards that have been established by our federal, state and local governments. This approach proposed by the committee will not only be costly to all Montanans but will affect the lowest income most dramatically. This “the sky is falling approach” could be viewed as the state removing the “local” perspective on developments and forcing the “Smart Growth” ideology which has proven ineffective and cumbersome in several areas of Montana.

Make your voice heard today and take the survey.

Remember 1 and 2 will show your disagreement.

Craig S. Osterman

CRAIG S. OSTERMAN, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

Treasure State Alliance
281 Main St. Arm.
Belt, Mt. 59412
Phone: 406-277-3368
FAX: 406-277-3369
MtSnowman@snowtana.com

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
I think it is about time to get Schweitzer out of office! He has come up with some crazy sh!t in my opinion.

"I really can't think of one besides Geothermal, wind, solar, tidal, hydro, all not really fuels, and nuclear I can't see in a automobile."

Oh yeah, I can see me on a nuclear powered APEX...talk about fuel mileage....wow!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kuna
Not sure if there is an organized plan of attack.....other than getting everyone we can to fill this thing out.

I did fill it out, complete with comments where applicable.
Let me re-word my basic question as I think I worded it poorly.
I was actually looking for a specific person or office to send letter to.

D

DOO DAWG

Dec 9, 2007
Arlington Wa. USA
So the message I'm receiving from this one is that some idiot in MT wants to make the state officially go green.
I'm in Idaho, but with one state making changes, normally other states follow.

So what's the plan of attack here?

Follow???
Look to your left....SB 6900 Washington state. Disgusting!!!!

Premium Features