• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best/safest way to pack a camera ?

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I just purchased a Canon Rebel T2i with the 18-135 kit lense (totally new to DSLR's, so I've got lots to learn). I'm looking for opinions on the best type of pack to use that will also have space for my avy gear and other essentials. I checked out a few Lowe Pro waterproof packs on line, but can't tell by the pics if they have provisions for shovel, probe, etc. Thanks for any advice.

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
I have a riser bag and custome cut foam layers the form a snug fit for the camera on all sides. I then glued the layers together with contact cement. The camera fits in the bag perfect and does not get beat up.

I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam.

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
I have mine in a Pelican 1200 case. Its a bigger case, but the camera will be safe no matter what. It is water proof, dust proof, and shock resistant. It could probably be attached to your tunnel somewhere.

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
I have a riser bag and custome cut foam layers the form a snug fit for the camera on all sides. I then glued the layers together with contact cement. The camera fits in the bag perfect and does not get beat up.

I used an electric carving knife to cut the foam.

Do you have a picture or two of this setup? Interested to see how it works

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
I use a handlebar bag from Snobunjee... pouches on both sides that zipper shut and have an overlay flap that velcros. Waterproof material. Camcorder in one pouch, digital camera in the other.

100_0472.jpg

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I also keep my camera in my handlebar bag. Being that I don't wear a back-pack, I consider it to be the safest and smoothest place on the machine for it to be, as well as keeping it close at reach. Also a fan of the snobunjee bag, it has room for both cameras and a few other normal things... map, flagging tape, flashlight, etc.

acinbc

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 8, 2010
I have mine in a Pelican 1200 case. Its a bigger case, but the camera will be safe no matter what. It is water proof, dust proof, and shock resistant. It could probably be attached to your tunnel somewhere.

I have a Vanguard hard case mounted on the back of my tunnel. The case is water proof and that is a must with your camera equipment. The fact that it is shock resistant is a plus as well. I carry a DLSR body with a 18-200, flash, extra battery, 10-20 wide angle lens and lens cleaning supplies. I carry a couple of extra lens filters which help with blue skies and bright snow.

Any time I come across the small pouches of silica that are shipped inside electronic boxes I toss those in as well.

On my back is every thing that I need to save my life or my buddies. Under the seat is rope , tie straps, tools and such. Handle bar bag has other stuff.

The hard case works great. Keeps my camera gear dry and safe and considering that its worth as much as the sled thats key.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I really appreciate all the replies so far. I had thought about going with a Pelican case originally, but after searching through old threads, I wasn't sure as others had said that the vibration and shock of being mounted on the tunnel would damage the camera. I thought that was kind of strange since I carry my $400 Fluke multimeter in a Pelican case and had it fall off the back of my truck (forgot it was there) at 30+ mph, bounce down the road and still it is fine. I think I would still lean towards a pack designed for cameras if it also had provision for avy gear.

toddb

Premium Member
Nov 14, 2010
Chanhassen,MN
A DSLR will not fit in a riser bag. Highmark thanks for the link to the bags. I wish I had seen this awhile ago would have saved me alot of money. Those packs from F-stop are the answer with lots of flexibility.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I use the heated Ski-Doo bag for my camera but mine is a bit smaller then the one you have. With the heater plate in it the camera never gets too cold. I just put the camera in it's case and put that case in my handlebar bag. Going on 3 season with this set-up.

Ski-DooSummitBag2.jpg

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Do not put your dslr in a handlebar bag.

Best versatile way I've found to carry a simple setup (dslr, one long, one short lens, and monopod) is to get the smallest lowepro that will fit what you need (ridgerunner is one of the ones I use) and then put it in your pack with whatever you can pad it with.

I've got a full camera pack that I'll carry of a real shoot, or for videography, but then I dont' have my ABS pack or avy gear... which isn't the way I like to do things. Just bought an ABS vario (with a 15L & 50L attachment) so that I'll have more room to carry a full complement of gear on a shoot & still have a full avy pack.

Another one that works well is the microtrekker, once you upgrade to a 70-200 (f4 of 2.8) it'll still fit along with a wide & one flash, but it normally will fit inside of most decent sized bags.

If you're willing to bastard up your tunnel, I'd say go the peli route though, that's the safest, and if you've got it outfitted properly, I wouldn't worry AT ALL about vibration being an issue, we've done MUCH worse with peli cases.

I'm just not willing to put more crap on my sled.

H

HighMark Adventures

Nov 26, 2007
Chilliwack
www.highmarkadventures.com
Oh if your only going to be packing your t2i with kit lens then check this out from clik. It might work for ya if you already have a pack.
The Contrejour series says it carries all the avy gear check it out Contrejour 35

Maybe one day the avy pack companies will make a pack designed for people who shoot in the back country. I have an abs 40+10 pack that sits in the trailer now

Last edited:

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
Check out the lower top load, I used that for a couple seasons with a chest harness, It straps to the front so you have easy quick access to your camera, it is a little weird at first having it strapped to the front of you but you get used to it, and you can still wear an avy pack with it. when I got a 70-200 2.8 lens, I had to get a bigger pack, I ended up with a Lowepro flip side backpack, the zipper is on the inside against your back, you just slip your shoulder straps off and leave the waist one on, slide it around front to get your camera out, works great! You can rig it to hold your shovel and probe with some extra straps.

P
Oct 13, 2009
Castlegar, BC
I carry my DSLR and extra lenses in a padded Lowepro camera bag, then in my Mountain Addiction tunnel bag. It has hard sides and is pretty bomb-proof. I've rolled my sled several times with my camera gear in it and the bag stays intact, and the camera is protected.

http://www.mountainaddiction.com/

Dakine makes a nice backpack that fits all your lenses and has room for your safety gear too. I wear an avy pack, so no room on my back for camera equipment.

http://www.backcountry.com/dakine-m...wcid=TC|5484|dakine photo bag||S|b|6410600715

E
Nov 26, 2007
I use a Dakine camera pack and its a pain. I dont like the idea of taking a spill and smashing up my mk4. Im gonna try a pelican case and use the ski doo bag tie downs to secure it to the tunnel. Ill have to modify the case a bit but it should hold down tight

What lens' do you guys carry when riding?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I carry an f4(IS) 70-200 & a 10-22. I find I rarely want a normal lens (35-50 range) when shooting. If I need to be compact I pull my bottom grip from my 7, and use an 18-200, but there's a noticeable drop in quality & speed from the other lenses for that one. No matter what a monopod (cut down so it's 17" closed) at a minimum comes with every day.

Today, putting a microtrekker in the tunnel bag that came with my new sled, we'll see how that goes, just have to add padding so it can't bounce around at all.

Premium Features