• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Warm weather and rpm loss? Anyone?

M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
Anyone experiencing rpm loss in warm weather? Cold I'm at 83-8350. At 32 or above today I was around 8000 then at higher speeds my rpm would climb closer to 8200? Could just be the belt getting worn in conjunction with the warmer temps. Thoughts, Experiences? Thx. SKS.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Polaris manual tells you to go 2g light weights in warm weather.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I had this same issue. Changed the belt and dropped 2 grams and rpm was back. They do seem sensitive to this issue as well as elevation gain.

M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
Went out tonight with 2 gr lighter weights pulled 8150-8200 then up to 83 after a bit. Still pulls more rpm when cold especially for initial shift but it was definetly better. I just thought that the fuel mapping would do a better job of adjusting for temperature. Thx for the responses.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I agree. Seems like the ecu doesn't really get the job done. My Pros were similar especially with warm and humid conditions. Must not lean quite enough to compensate. Maybe a controller and a pipe, I just have no experience with those and don't know how hard it is to adjust the maps.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Mine is doing the same. Reportedly the mapping does not account for temps above 40. It stops leaning the mixture and the sled runs fat losing power/rpm.

Somebody has a fix for it, I think you can have the ecu flashed (aftermarket) to cure this. I tried switching to the 91 non map and that brought some of the power back because it is leaner across the board. My belt has 3-400 miles on it, probably could use a fresh one and I am going to try lighter weights too.

I thought maybe it was the exhaust valves so I removed and cleaned them up last week. Helped some, response was better but rpm still only at 8000 max.

M

moex

Jan 21, 2008
I'm thinking of trying some runs on the lake without the side panels when the temperatures slightly above freezing. I'm curious to see if there is an improvement. If there is then maybe some more venting may help with underhood/intake temps.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've seen the same thing riding northern Nevada. We ride in 50 to 60 degree weather March, April and May. Once the temp goes above 40 degrees the sleds act as though they go overly rich and maybe they do. One thing I have found that seems to work (although Polaris may not recommend) is running ethanol fuel on the premium setting. This seems to be good for about 150 RPM's in the spring. I've been doing this for the last 5 seasons and approximately 8,000 miles and haven't burned down my 2012 or my 2014 Pro. Plug and wash inspections still appear rich.

Premium Features