• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken crank on '11 M8

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Gotta buddy who recently broke his crank on his '11 M8, I think approx 2000 miles.
Clutch end broke off.

Is this a common problem?
Is the sled worth the cost of fixing?
What's he looking at to fix?
Any recommendations as long as he has it that far torn down?

Thought you Catpeople would shed more light than his dealer.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Gotta buddy who recently broke his crank on his '11 M8, I think approx 2000 miles.

Clutch end broke off.

Is this a common problem?

Is the sled worth the cost of fixing?

What's he looking at to fix?

Any recommendations as long as he has it that far torn down?

Thought you Catpeople would shed more light than his dealer.

I've heard of this before. Usually if the sled has exploded a lot of belts under a full load. But definitely not common. 2011 isn't that old and is said to be that last good arctic cat sled to date. So I would say it's definitely worth it to fix it. Not sure if he had belt issues but that should be addressed right away if he did. Sending the clutches to be balanced would be my first move. Very solid reputation this engine has. I would inspect the case very carefully, get a new crank, and re assemble with cat parts.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Also... if time is more an issue than $$ you might want to call Michelle and see if she can get a deal on a full motor. Usually parting out the motor can get you back close to what the new one runs you from her... in my experience it has never been worth it to me to rebuild.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Absolutely worth fixing, I am sure you can just buy that lobe of the crank PN#3007-881, looks like its about 270. Find a local machine shop that can do the work for you and take them the crank and new end. I cant imagine they would charge more than $100 to do that.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Really? We just assumed new crank. Did not realize it was repairable.
Thanks for the info.

M

MPS

I have the same sled. One thing I would make damn sure of...is make sure the primary clutch is properly aligned with the secondary. There should be 3 little rings/washers that fit behind the secondary clutch. Sometimes the factory forgets to put them on there. It will put a nasty load on the crank if the clutch isn't aligned properly. Get an alignment tool and make sure it is correct. Make sure the clutches are balanced as well. An extra gram on one side of the clutch becomes 50lbs once that clutch is spinning at 8000 rpm. I am sure you have curled a 50lb weight right? Imagine that spinning around off balance...eventually that crank is gonna give.

Ya all cranks are repairable, just find a reputable machine shop that has a history with cranks.

Since it was your buddy's clutch end that broke off, it really makes me think the clutch was out of balance or it wasn't aligned right.

The biggest key to saving cranks is maintaining the clutch.

Last edited:
Premium Features