• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski Guides on Floor of New Enclosed Trailer?

R
Mar 13, 2010
I just got a new All Sport/Tri Sport enclosed trailer and am wondering if I should buy and install ski guides to keep the carbides from chewing up the floor? I know some people who use them and some people who don't and say their floor doesn't really get that chewed up. What do you guys think?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Carpet! Dont knock it until you try it. Short, open loop, commercial/industrial carpet install on the floor and ramps.
The carbides dont damage it, you dont have to stay "in the guides", you can back sleds in, park them anywhere on the floor, its never slick, works great for all the other applications you use your trailer for other then hauling sleds.

Its also cheaper then glides!

R
Mar 13, 2010
Outdoor type stuff like AstroTurf or actual indoor carpet? Wouldn't it take forever to dry out and get moldy/mildew?

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
I bought my first enclosed trailer last year. I put guides and traction mats on the doors only. Floor looks great after one season, not sure that I have even one mark from carbides. (I have the Advantech wood floor in my trailer.)

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Outdoor type stuff like AstroTurf or actual indoor carpet? Wouldn't it take forever to dry out and get moldy/mildew?

Indoor carpet. And no it never gets moldy. Shovel or broom out the snow and ice. If you want to dry it out on a warm/sunny day just open the doors and crank the jack all the way up, any water will run out the back.

Ive had carpet in my trailer for 5 years now and I also use it all summer for hauling my race car and also use it for hauling custom trucks I build. I would guess it gets used about 75 days a year and its still holding up great.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Indoor carpet. And no it never gets moldy. Shovel or broom out the snow and ice. If you want to dry it out on a warm/sunny day just open the doors and crank the jack all the way up, any water will run out the back.

Ive had carpet in my trailer for 5 years now and I also use it all summer for hauling my race car and also use it for hauling custom trucks I build. I would guess it gets used about 75 days a year and its still holding up great.

Have any pics or recommendations for a type to buy?

Installation tips?

D
Mar 13, 2014
I just got a trailer also and pulled a sled in and it put a nasty groove in it. Ended up getting ski slips, just can't backup.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I just got a new All Sport/Tri Sport enclosed trailer and am wondering if I should buy and install ski guides to keep the carbides from chewing up the floor? I know some people who use them and some people who don't and say their floor doesn't really get that chewed up. What do you guys think?

IF you can afford it, the Guides are mighty nice to have, especially on multi-day trips where the ice begins to build up on the floor after the nightly melt down of your sleds.

Given the choice between the trailers I have had WITH and withOUT the guides, I would absolutely take the ones WITH the guides every single time.

Here is a GOOD discussion of them
https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386872

Last edited:
R
Mar 13, 2010
I'm not too worried about the expense, it's more about the fact that I use my trailer a lot year around for hauling different things and not sure that I want stuff on the floor to be tripping over.
The SLP video I watched on YouTube made their Ski Slips look really quick and easy to use and then I wouldn't have to mess with stuff on my trailer floor. Anybody have experience using those Ski Slips? Looks like it takes only 2 or 3 seconds to take them off and on.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Have any pics or recommendations for a type to buy?

Installation tips?

I used the standard metal hold down strips like below. screw or rivet in place. I used 2 hold downs on the ramp/door, and one hold down at the rear inside the trailer, then notched the carpet around the wheel wells and the front of the trailer my winch is bolt down through the carpet. Thats the only thing holding it down and it never moves.

I cant even tell you what kind or brand it is, Other then its a commercial grade carpet. I bought it as a remnant, but it was big enough to do my 8.5x24 trailer and the rear door.

Sorry, no pics of it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71WMhPktIDL._SL1200_.jpg

Captainsheaff

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2011
I'm a big fan of the guides on the doors. Like many others have said, most quality floors will hold up, however it only takes one gnarled carbide to damage your floor. My thoughts are; immediately install your doors with glides, edge guards, trax grabber's, etc... then wait to see how the floor holds up. If it becomes damaged, make the necessary repair and install glides to prevent future issues. Check out Caliber Products, they are made in the USA & carry a lifetime warranty. Good luck :)

jokerman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Wy.
I'm with you with stuff on the floor,have mirage with the poly-bead floor and use slp ski slips quick on and off,and put them on backwards if we have to back sleds out. Not to much of a hassle. Just my 2pennies cheers!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
One more thing to consider....

Dont run carbide runners. Just run a plain steel wear bars, or take the stockers off your sled and remove the carbide inserts, they are just brazed onto the bar and come right out when heated with a torch.

If your an off trail / back country rider carbides are not your friend. They grab rocks and logs and dont like to let go. Creek crossings or running a ridge line is so much nicer with a smooth steel runner. It might even save you a bent A-arm.

Your trailer floor and shop floor will love it too!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I'm with you with stuff on the floor,have mirage with the poly-bead floor and use slp ski slips quick on and off,and put them on backwards if we have to back sleds out. Not to much of a hassle. Just my 2pennies cheers!

Same here poly bead floor on my Mirage trailer.. but I use the longer ski boots- get them from dennis Kirk.
I dislike all the guides on the floor- especially getting dressed inside.

https://www.denniskirk.com/sno-stuff/universal-black-ski-boots-503-505.p10317.prd/10317.sku

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Same here poly bead floor on my Mirage trailer.. but I use the longer ski boots- get them from dennis Kirk.
I dislike all the guides on the floor- especially getting dressed inside.

Tell ya what.
After my wife and my son's girlfriend both SLIPPED inside the trailer because we had SNOW and ICE on our Poly Bead floor after melting down 5 sleds over night, I absolutely FELL IN LOVE with the Superglides II Pro with the little traction bars that stick up from the glides.

In the years since using them, NO ONE has ever slipped again on a multiday trip in our trailers!

FSHEETBG__SGLIDESwWIDE-new.png

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
One more thing to consider....

Dont run carbide runners. Just run a plain steel wear bars, or take the stockers off your sled and remove the carbide inserts, they are just brazed onto the bar and come right out when heated with a torch.

If your an off trail / back country rider carbides are not your friend. They grab rocks and logs and dont like to let go. Creek crossings or running a ridge line is so much nicer with a smooth steel runner. It might even save you a bent A-arm.

Your trailer floor and shop floor will love it too!

I think the mention of carbides or no carbides needs to be mentioned more when people say whether they are running the slides or not like you bring up.

All the sleds in our trailer always have carbides as they are being run more like long track crossover sleds here at home so the gripped slides are a must for us. We cover both ramp doors solid and then run a few lines the full length of the trailer. I have been running the Caliber Low-Pro Grip glides for the last 4 years in multiple trailers and have been very happy with the quality.

But if I was running wear bars only I think the carpet would be an interesting thing to try.

Yamatario

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2011
SW Ontario
Just working on our trailer last night. still fastening more guides down. we used old pick-up truck bed liners. We will notch some of the guides going down the ramps to create some more grip.

IMG_20171114_2054486 (2).jpg

Premium Features