• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 GM HD Duramax

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
MileHigh can tell you more on pricing, but I'm guessing $67k will get you really close to loaded. The problem is that there are some pricey options these days. Stuff like full 7-8 camera system, retractable running boards, etc.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I don't think the pricing will change a lot. $67k should get you a pretty fully loaded truck. I guess it depends on what people call loaded. Adding all the accessories like a topper, different wheels, the custom cut sun shade is not something I would say is necessary for a loaded truck.

We can't even order a 2017 heavy duty yet. This screams to me that changes are coming.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I don't think the pricing will change a lot. $67k should get you a pretty fully loaded truck. I guess it depends on what people call loaded. Adding all the accessories like a topper, different wheels, the custom cut sun shade is not something I would say is necessary for a loaded truck.

We can't even order a 2017 heavy duty yet. This screams to me that changes are coming.

What kind of changes are you thinking? New body in '18 right so just a few tweaks to the engine?

How reliable are these duramax diesels the first year or two after an engine modification?

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
What kind of changes are you thinking? New body in '18 right so just a few tweaks to the engine?

How reliable are these duramax diesels the first year or two after an engine modification?

I'd say it depends on what you modify and who modifies it. No real good answer to that.

I honestly do not know of any changes that are official. Hood scoop is all. It's an all "new" motor given the engine code "L5P". Nothing has been released. I can speculate that GM is waiting for a couple things:
1. Their current supply or 100 day inventory to be reduced to a low enough number that they won't have to deeply discount remaining 2016's to get rid of them after the changes are released. There is already a shortage, we have very few left.

2. Texas state fair is what I keep hearing for an official release. That is September 30th, so 10 days depending on what day they choose.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I'd say it depends on what you modify and who modifies it. No real good answer to that.

I honestly do not know of any changes that are official. Hood scoop is all. It's an all "new" motor given the engine code "L5P". Nothing has been released. I can speculate that GM is waiting for a couple things:
1. Their current supply or 100 day inventory to be reduced to a low enough number that they won't have to deeply discount remaining 2016's to get rid of them after the changes are released. There is already a shortage, we have very few left.

2. Texas state fair is what I keep hearing for an official release. That is September 30th, so 10 days depending on what day they choose.

yeah that was a mistype, i didn't mean modifications like added tuners and urea deletes. i meant little changes they do every few years to give the engine a new name LLY, LBZ, LMM etc. when they make the changes are the engines typically as reliable in year 1 of the change as they are in year 5?

i have a 1/2 ton truck now, i'm going with a 3/4 diesel next. just trying to extract some info. i am leaning toward a GM but am open to any of the 3.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Unless it's been emission driven (like LBZ to LMM), the Dmax motor program updates have typically added performance and some durability. First year LMM had teething pains, like they all (DPFs) did. I still own one LBZ, next one will be a LML. Only time in the field really tells, like all things diesel now. With the aftermarket, just about anything can run well, just a matter of how much time and $$$ you invest for your application, some much more than others.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've had two LBZ's and a 2011 LML. No problems whatsoever (knock on wood). The LML was smooth strong power with that awesome exhaust brake but had the DPF and urea. I've heard of issues but neither of those bothered me. It was a pain in the *** to pour urea (sticky and dries as white powder) in the hood vs the gas door, so hopefully they change that. I'm back at an LBZ because the family grew and we needed a better family ride. But that LBZ is so nice because there are very little emissions items to deal with.

XC500Mod - You might not want a diesel truck after having a gasser. It's next to impossible to go back to gas after that!

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
i know, if i go with the diesel i'll probably never go back. the problem isn't the engine of the ecoboost, they are strong and the new one is even stronger. i think theF-150s have hit a point where the engine can pull much more than the truck can support.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
i know, if i go with the diesel i'll probably never go back. the problem isn't the engine of the ecoboost, they are strong and the new one is even stronger. i think theF-150s have hit a point where the engine can pull much more than the truck can support.

I think you are correct. A buddy of mine had his ecoboost in the shop so they gave him a new loaner. The truck was so light that any wind made his camper pull the truck all over the place. I just bought a 2017 F-250 Powerstroke. The power is insane!! Can't wait to tow with it. Makes my 2014 Powerstroke feel like there was an anchor behind it. Love the truck. I've owned all the big 3 diesels and this one is hands down the nicest so far. However, you can't go wrong with a Cummins or Duramax. I've owned two Duramax Diesels and both were awesome.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado

Yes! I think this is real. I think it's a reason why Ford and Chevy haven't gone to 1/2 ton diesel trucks. What's the point other than fuel mileage? You have to pay so much more that the fuel savings isn't there. There is so much more to a HD truck than a 1/2 ton truck. That's probably why the GM 1500HD with the 6.0 died.

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Yes! I think this is real. I think it's a reason why Ford and Chevy haven't gone to 1/2 ton diesel trucks. What's the point other than fuel mileage? You have to pay so much more that the fuel savings isn't there. There is so much more to a HD truck than a 1/2 ton truck. That's probably why the GM 1500HD with the 6.0 died.

It's still heavily rumored that GM is going to a half ton diesel. It has to do with their VIN coding with motors. GM has skipped an engine letter and it is assumed that the digit they skipped will be their diesel motor on the half ton. I think they are waiting for the right time. Typically they will be late in their timing. Truck market has never been stronger than it is now. Car market is pretty slow right now. Even used trucks are getting stupid money.

Side note, we had a used Ram 1/2 ton diesel on our lot. I wasn't that impressed. Good power, but I don't get the point when you look at cost and fuel economy. It had about 28k miles and we had to send it to the Ram dealer 3 separate times to have work done for sensors, just to sell it. After the guy bought it, on his way back to Denver the sensors let loose again, he had to have it towed to a dealer. He was not happy. Typical Ram/Dodge.

About the DEF fill location, I've talked to a few guys that love where GM has them. The reason is you can put an entire container on the motor and let it sit there. It's easy to fill up. With it back by the fuel tank you literally have to hold the 2.5 gallon container while it fills the truck up. Sure it's in an easier spot, but you still have hold it or rig something for it to sit on. Might be the reasoning in GM having it under the hood.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's still heavily rumored that GM is going to a half ton diesel. It has to do with their VIN coding with motors. GM has skipped an engine letter and it is assumed that the digit they skipped will be their diesel motor on the half ton. I think they are waiting for the right time. Typically they will be late in their timing. Truck market has never been stronger than it is now. Car market is pretty slow right now. Even used trucks are getting stupid money.

I just wonder how it will go. The Dodge loaded is a $60k+ 1/2 ton diesel. I'll go HD long before I'm paying that premium. This is where I think the Colorado/Canyon Duramax shines.

About the DEF fill location, I've talked to a few guys that love where GM has them. The reason is you can put an entire container on the motor and let it sit there. It's easy to fill up. With it back by the fuel tank you literally have to hold the 2.5 gallon container while it fills the truck up. Sure it's in an easier spot, but you still have hold it or rig something for it to sit on. Might be the reasoning in GM having it under the hood.

I had to have a step stool to do it without making a mess. IMO, GM needs to move it. Get rid of that eyesore tank too.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I saw that months ago too. I think it comes down to what MileHigh said. GM doesn't want to throw this out there too much while they are still selling their current stock of diesel trucks.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
i currently have a 2011 f-150 with the off road package which gives it the 3.73 rear axle and electronic locking differential which is really nice. what i need in a truck is nearly impossible to find in the current 1/2 ton version. Large fuel tank, the standard 24 gallon tank is ridiculously small, telescoping mirrors, 3.73 rear axle, and an integrated brake controller. I've seen one, it was loaded with the platinum package and cost 64k! then extra springs or air bags and higher load range tires would have to be added to handle the weight.

when you start doing the math with current prices of half ton trucks, it's pretty obvious that a 3/4 ton is the way to go.

probably the best means for comparison of used trucks is a very large used truck dealer in wisconsin. they have about 350 trucks in stock at all times with a lot of trucks having less than 10k miles.

http://www.lenzauto.com

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You rear axle ratio really depends on how many gears you have in your transmission. You can have a longer/higher rear axle ratio now with the 6-10 speed transmissions. Sure lower is better but it compromises fuel economy. The GM setup with a 6 speed and 3.73 is longer than the 8 speed with a 3.62 ratio.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
You rear axle ratio really depends on how many gears you have in your transmission. You can have a longer/higher rear axle ratio now with the 6-10 speed transmissions. Sure lower is better but it compromises fuel economy. The GM setup with a 6 speed and 3.73 is longer than the 8 speed with a 3.62 ratio.

Yes i understand that, but right now ford has the 6 speed transmission and the rear axle ratios are not what they once were. once the 10 speed transmission is released this year, the first 3 gears will be taller than current 6 speed's first few gears.

I guess my point was that I don't want to pay a premium for a rare 1/2 ton truck and put on extras so that it acts more like a 3/4 ton truck.

Premium Features