• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mirage Trailer questions

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I was so happy last year to finally be able to by a new enclosed. I had always wanted a Mirage and after spending considerable time giving all of them the once over I decided that it was the right one for me. I ordered at the snow show in October and picked it up 2 days before Thanksgiving. Couldn't have been happier that they built it that quick. After using it for one season though I wish they maybe would have spent a little more time and put a little more TLC into it.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issues.

#1 The trailer will pop the taillight fuse. I've had it back to the dealer to try to fix this twice and they say they got it figured out but in a matter of miles it will blow the fuse again. This isnt a truck problem either because I've tried both of my trucks and it will blow the fuse on both of them. Also tried my brother and Dads truck same thing. After taking it to the dealer last time I figured there just had to be a wire rubbing. I spent hours trying to find something to no avail.

#2 The side man door has never opened very well. Last month my kids went out to start their sleds and opened the door and the bottom hinge tore off the frame. The door now actually opens and closes much easier and smoother so I'm not sure I even want to fix this.

#3 The hinges on the front snowmobile door rusted off the frame in 2 months. Not sure if they were using tin foil to weld with that day or what. The dealer fixed this and said they did not know what happened there.

#4 This is not so much an issue but just a really really surprising design flaw. In my 2005 Cummins I can turn sharp enough that the rear bumper will hit the sides of the trailer. This isnt backing up and jackknifing it, it is simply turning around in the road as tight as I can turn and the bumper smashing in the door. I've pulled quite a few trailer and have never been able to do this. My F150 wont turn sharp enough to do it but my Dodge will. My Dad has Mirage that is 5 or 6 years older and the distance from the end of the tongue to the actual trailer is about 7" longer which apparently makes all the difference in the world because I cant do it pulling his trailer.

#5 I am already starting to have the flooring start to delaminate from the plywood sub-strait at the joints and especially on the back door. The problem with the back door is that they they did away with the fold over flap so you hit the 1.5" angle iron which needs to be a little taller because its not as tall as the flooring and the carbides are tearing it up.

Still love the trailer but I really dont think the newer Mirages are as well built as they were a few years ago.

Any idea of wear to look for my short in the lights?

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Be like Christopher and buy a new one every year. I have never owned one but good reviews are few are far.

Dragontex

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2008
I had the same issue with mine. I took it to a shop to get it looked at. When they took it in the lights were working and one of the workers asked why it was in the shop and hit the passenger side nose as he walked by. The lights went out. There was a wire that was rubbing against a screw. That could be why it works for awhile. With the vibration going down the road the wire moves against the screw. Hope this helps.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I really do still love the trailer, just think that like most things there could be improvements.

I am even now more impressed because I got a PM from Mirage asking to bring the trailer to the factory so they could address the issues. Major props to Mirage for even offering something like that. Customer service like that is pretty tough to come by. You have a customer for life.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Let me make a call to Mirage on your behalf and see if I can't get someone from the company to jump into this thread.

What I can say is this, MY experiences with the new trailer I purchased from them last year were NOTHING like your's at all.

While I had some minor stuff that bugged me, it was just that, MINOR STUFF. Nothing structural at all. That is one of the reasons I am ordering the 2nd trailer and seeing what new goodies they have put together in response to my comments about the 2014 edition.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I really do still love the trailer, just think that like most things there could be improvements.

I am even now more impressed because I got a PM from Mirage asking to bring the trailer to the factory so they could address the issues. Major props to Mirage for even offering something like that. Customer service like that is pretty tough to come by. You have a customer for life.

Dang, that was fast!
Didn't even have to send the message to let them know about you.

Honestly, Mirage really is working on making a great trailer and being THE major player in the sled trailer industry.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I just have to say that the customer service by Mirage is by far the best in the industry. They stand behind their product and go above and beyond what they should. I honestly just wanted ideas of where to look for an electrical short when I started this thread, but have been blown away with Mirage even caring enough to PM me let alone offer to take care of all of the issues. Top notch trailer and out of this world customer service.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thats what I want to see.
They told me they are trying to rebuild their image and really push to be a great manufacturer. Follow through will show if they are doing it or not.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That is excellent service. Such a smart move for manufacturers to monitor forums like that....not only to check on issues, but to resolve them with customers! I wish more of them did that.

Most companies talk about "using social media, modern tools, etc," but only use it for marketing or lip service at best. That's great to see a company actually using it to increase POST-sale service.

I don't even own a trailer but just thought that was cool - props to Mirage.

Nov 29, 2007
SW, MT
I just have to say that the customer service by Mirage is by far the best in the industry. They stand behind their product and go above and beyond what they should. I honestly just wanted ideas of where to look for an electrical short when I started this thread, but have been blown away with Mirage even caring enough to PM me let alone offer to take care of all of the issues. Top notch trailer and out of this world customer service.

So did your issues get squared away? I just sold a bullet proof charmac, and have always like the looks of the Mirage extreme sports, but seems like everytime i am on here there is another mirage owner with issues? I am really only considering: charmac, mirage, look, and mission. Like the trails west, but not for 20k!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just picked up my second mirage last night.
I have to admit that took most of my user comments to heart and made a pile of adjustments and modifications to the next generation of trailers.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Just picked up my second mirage last night.
I have to admit that took most of my user comments to heart and made a pile of adjustments and modifications to the next generation of trailers.

It is cool that they listen to you & even cooler that they monitor this forum in an effort to learn where their opportunities for improvement exists.

However, my suspicious nature tells me that "Joe Blow's" trailer is not being assembled under the same level of scrutiny as Christopher's trailer is.
They know that Chris is going to give a full honest (and free) review of his trailer here for everyone on this forum to read.
Heck, under those circumstances, I could hand build a trailer that would be flawless, it would be totally irresponsible if there were ANY imperfections on this trailer.

My point is that whatever the common member has to say about their trailer should carry more weight than what Chris has to say about his as his is truly a show trailer for the manufacturer.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I'd suggest checking the supports that hold the sidewalls up, under the floor you'll see them going from the frame to the edge of the trailer. I've got an older one and last year noticed I was getting quite a gap in between my floor and wall in places (especially over the wheels.) and you could see that the edge of the floor was about 1/2" lower than right directly above the frame rails. Pulled up the floor in that area and noticed that those supports were burnt through when they were welded on and were not really supporting squat. Around the back door there is a good 1" gap at the top and the sides barely close outside of the frame, I bet if I let it go another year the door would be a bi-directional door... This was clearly an issue of poor welding, the weld was so hot it was like a torch and just cut right through the tin used for those supports. It's an older, previous owned trailer, so I don't even expect them to do anything about it but I will know next time to check those over.

The polybead floor is still holding up real good, the previous owner used it very little and it showed, but we run 6 sleds in and out of there about every weekend in the winter and you can't hardly tell where the carbides run even. I wish I could find a way to clean up oil stains out of it though, other than that it's a very good floor.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It is cool that they listen to you & even cooler that they monitor this forum in an effort to learn where their opportunities for improvement exists.

However, my suspicious nature tells me that "Joe Blow's" trailer is not being assembled under the same level of scrutiny as Christopher's trailer is.
They know that Chris is going to give a full honest (and free) review of his trailer here for everyone on this forum to read.
Heck, under those circumstances, I could hand build a trailer that would be flawless, it would be totally irresponsible if there were ANY imperfections on this trailer.

My point is that whatever the common member has to say about their trailer should carry more weight than what Chris has to say about his as his is truly a show trailer for the manufacturer.

Honestly don't know.
This time the entire management team was there to talk with me and discuss the changes they made to the trailer and hear my comments first hand.

Several of that team showed up today at the show and we walked through all of the other brand trailers on the show floor looking CLOSELY at every detail of all the other manufacture's trailers.

This much I am SURE of now.
Mirage absolutely wants to be the top dog in the sled trailer business and has begun the walk that that will lead them to that destination. They plan on putting out 5 of these super delux trailers like mine to collect some serious feedback from people that are using the trailers several times a week. Everyone that I met with had read all of my comments and seemed very familiar with all of my thoughts.

My gutt feeling is that while my trailer more goodies in it than the normal ones do, that it was still built on the same production line by the same assembly team using all the same components and construction techniques.

We discussed plans for the 2016 trailers next summer and I was SURPRISED to see several items that other SnoWest members had asked for in these threads. Mirage is absolutely reading these threads and discussing owner/member comments.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I'd suggest checking the supports that hold the sidewalls up, under the floor you'll see them going from the frame to the edge of the trailer. I've got an older one and last year noticed I was getting quite a gap in between my floor and wall in places (especially over the wheels.) and you could see that the edge of the floor was about 1/2" lower than right directly above the frame rails. Pulled up the floor in that area and noticed that those supports were burnt through when they were welded on and were not really supporting squat. Around the back door there is a good 1" gap at the top and the sides barely close outside of the frame, I bet if I let it go another year the door would be a bi-directional door... This was clearly an issue of poor welding, the weld was so hot it was like a torch and just cut right through the tin used for those supports. It's an older, previous owned trailer, so I don't even expect them to do anything about it but I will know next time to check those over.

The polybead floor is still holding up real good, the previous owner used it very little and it showed, but we run 6 sleds in and out of there about every weekend in the winter and you can't hardly tell where the carbides run even. I wish I could find a way to clean up oil stains out of it though, other than that it's a very good floor.

I use some "Red Hot" on the floor of my trailer. Spray it on the floor first then spray it off (pressure washer or car wash works best) and cleans all the oil off well. If you are at the car wash the presoak itself will work well too.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
My opinion...

I was in the market for a new trailer recently, and looked at TrailsWest, Charmac, Mirage, Look, and MTI (my last unit was an MTI, and I had good luck with it.) After a lot of research and visually inspecting dozens of trailers I ended up with a 28' Mirage Teton Sport with Highmark Package and Blackout trim. The quality is right up there with the best of them (and IMO, far superior to the Trails West unit I looked at with the Burandt pkg.), and was priced reasonably for the options the trailer had on it. Mirage was quick to respond to my questions when I emailed them during my research, and I got the impression that Rob really cares about the company image and his customers. Looking forward to running this unit for the next five years.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was in the market for a new trailer recently, and looked at TrailsWest, Charmac, Mirage, Look, and MTI (my last unit was an MTI, and I had good luck with it.) After a lot of research and visually inspecting dozens of trailers I ended up with a 28' Mirage Teton Sport with Highmark Package and Blackout trim. The quality is right up there with the best of them (and IMO, far superior to the Trails West unit I looked at with the Burandt pkg.), and was priced reasonably for the options the trailer had on it. Mirage was quick to respond to my questions when I emailed them during my research, and I got the impression that Rob really cares about the company image and his customers. Looking forward to running this unit for the next five years.
I had a visit from two of the Mirage line workers yesterday.
Got a few hours to pick their brains with no management around.
I am now very confident that Mirage has changed their corporate direction over the last couple years and is seriously aiming to be #1 in Sled Trailer manufacturing.

Premium Features