• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Frying the ECU

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have looked over most post to find a fix for the ECU and the VR cooking but it all seemed to go away with the intro of the PRO . What has changed in the pro over the dreaded Dragons . Did the grounds work ? did they upgrade the VR or is it from heat issue ? Why only was it on the 800s ?

J
Sep 21, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Not sure what was changed on the PRO's... But I do know that all models were effected on the IQ chassis. I think they just used shotty electrical parts quite honestly.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
There was a big thread on this issue, I know the VRs were "upgraded" on 09? and newer, revised part number and all. But no-one came up with a permanent solution for the IQs. Most seem to be running decent overall with the upgraded components and for 800s the fix kits.

Pros have completely new electronic systems...

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Even thought the 2010 had improvements it also seemed like it was the worst for having all around problems . It fried everything at least once , two engines . It now has Dan's long rod and is also the f----- freight sled , where it should of been to begin with . I'm keeping it for a while to remind me and others of the quality Poo builds .

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks guys . My friend bought a 09 rmk after I warned him of all the problems . It did come with a Fix Kit in it already so he thought it was good to go , now it has fried the ecu and probably the VR and we are replacing both and adding grounds . Since I have moved on to the Pro I lost track of the ecu/vr issue . I was just wondering what else might cure this problem and did anyone pin point what was the root cause ?
I can't handle the sniveling and my sides hurt from laughing when he has to be towed out by his wife's 2000 summit .

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Thanks guys .
I can't handle the sniveling and my sides hurt from laughing when he has to be towed out by his wife's 2000 summit .

That's classic , as for solving any of the problems they wiped their hands of it . Make sure all the grounding is co-located to one spot . Multiple ground areas is the leading cause of electrical problems . They forgot to read the NEC handbook .

B
Nov 11, 2008
Was just asking the dealer in Langley BC yesterday about that issue and advised the replacements used today have eliminated that problem. Have towed two sleds suffering the melt down both, one is still on his 08, the other on a 13 pro

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
VR

I thought perhaps the issue could be heat related. The reg has some pretty big cooling fins on it. The strange thing is they stuck a capacitor on top of it, seems like that would block the cooling. I moved that capacitor off of mine and bought a small DC 30 CFM cooling fan and mounted on the cover above the reg to blow air right down on it all the time the sled is running. So far so good. Still running original ECU and Reg although I have spares just in case.

I thought perhaps the issue could be heat related. The reg has some pretty big cooling fins on it. The strange thing is they stuck a capacitor on top of it, seems like that would block the cooling. I moved that capacitor off of mine and bought a small DC 30 CFM cooling fan and mounted on the cover above the reg to blow air right down on it all the time the sled is running. So far so good. Still running original ECU and Reg although I have spares just in case.

were you having some strange symptoms before you moved your capacitor & mounted the fan? Or did you do it beforehand as a preventative measure

Premium Features