• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Won't build boost under load??

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
Put your stock head back on to rule it out. It doesn't take too long. Try it with the new reeds first though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I only have a high compression head and I hit det a tiny bit when it got hot with that setup. Ps. I'm running pump gas which is why I got a different head.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Looking at you reed pics, those are not what are causing your issues.

I would pressure test the intake and exhaust system to check for leaks.

If you find no leaks, I would try lighter primary weights. My spool/boost building sucked when I went a bit too heavy on primary weight last season. Dropped a few grams, and she would light right up.

Also, compression had a HUGE effect on spool in my experience. We had two Silber pro's out in cooke a few years back. One with a stock head, one with a lowered compression PAR head for pump gas. The lowered compression sled took FOREVER to build boost compared to stock compression. Ever since that day I have been highly skeptical of any lowering of compression on a 2 stroke turbo for any type of on/off throttle riding types.

How much compression did you drop with the "turbo domes"?

Finally, simple issues can cause you to chase your tail big time on these sleds. IE broken primary or secondary springs, etc. Many times, when you remove the pipe, you will need to run the sled for a bit before the y pipe gasket re seats and seals back up.

Last edited:

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
guessing head is not helping

FYI I run the stock 2010 ho head with push turbo. Works great with a splash of av gas. Many people told me to leave stock head on unless wanting to run big boost. Jeff at Dakota built my sled if that helps ya.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
How much compression did you drop with the "turbo domes"?

The high comp head is I believe 13.5 I'd have to double check that, and I don't remember exactly but I believe the new one is 11.3 if I remember correctly.

I don't have a crazy amount of weight in there even when it's not building boost it still ran 7300ish rpm. And I just had my primary apart and it looks ok.

Last edited:
N

never enough snow

Dec 7, 2008
i would take waste gate and biow off apart look at parts and clean them / look at all the boost lines aii so test boost tee

E
Mar 25, 2009
Not sure if the wastegate is the prob. or not, but my bud had the same issue and it turned out to be loose tolerances on the wastegate shaft. What would happen is the thing would open and stick there. Look closely as you get it to the wide open position and check to see if the flapper catches on the turbo housing in the spot closest to the wastegate shaft. We fixed it by removing the turbo and actually peening the end of the wastegate shaft to tighten it up. It was obvious as it hung up every other time you actuated the gate while unhooked. It was very sloppy. Has not troubled us again. I know, seems crude but it worked. Anyway, good luck.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I just got my new reeds today so ill put them in and take a closer look at my waste gate. Is there supposed to be a lot of resistance when just pulling it by hand? I can move it I believe all the way and it goes back no problem by hand but it almost feels to stiff to me, running 8psi.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So I've road my sled on a groomer and it built boost just fine, nice hard pack snow. Well today is blower pow and it wouldn't build boost, sometimes it try's to when I hit hard pack but barly. The only change I did since then was put in turbo domes but I don't think that's the issue. Reeds? That's what I'm thinking I already have some on order but I'd like your guys opinion?? Push turbo g kit no extra injectors 2007 m8.

So on hard pack it will boost? If you ride the brake will it boost in the blower pow? What are your egt or afr readings while at full throttle? You sure it's just not pig rich from the new domes.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
So on hard pack it will boost? If you ride the brake will it boost in the blower pow? What are your egt or afr readings while at full throttle? You sure it's just not pig rich from the new domes.

It did boost the ride before on hard pack. Not sure on the break thing. My AFR at WOT was running way lean actually at first (14.2) until i tuned it and went slowly all the was down to 10.6 testing it along the way with little to no change.

The changes I did since it last built boost, added weight to the primary (Now pulling around 7300ish RPM maybe slightly more), and changed the domes.

Tomorrow I'm putting in turbo specific reeds, and ill order a new exhaust donut.

It has stiffer turbo springs on it too so it SHOULD be holding tight all around on the exhaust.

What would riding the break do?

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
It did boost the ride before on hard pack. Not sure on the break thing. My AFR at WOT was running way lean actually at first (14.2) until i tuned it and went slowly all the was down to 10.6 testing it along the way with little to no change.

The changes I did since it last built boost, added weight to the primary (Now pulling around 7300ish RPM maybe slightly more), and changed the domes.

Tomorrow I'm putting in turbo specific reeds, and ill order a new exhaust donut.

It has stiffer turbo springs on it too so it SHOULD be holding tight all around on the exhaust.

What would riding the break do?

10.6 is a little rich. Should be more around 12.5 at wot. For the exhaust just use high temp silicone to seal up your exhaust. Using your break will load the motor to help light the turbo.

G
Apr 23, 2008
closely examine the airbox all the way around, many times I have found that hairline crack along the bottom edge..

if you dont have an airbox and have the silicone tube splitter, be leary of internally splitting.

the silicone will delamintate internally and flap shut blocking all airflow when trying to get on boost. airboxs never do that..ask me why I have 4 on the wall for examples to prove how bad an idea they are..

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Pressure test the system. Cap compressor inlet, cap exhaust and add air through your wastegate signal line

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
Have you looked at the turbine side of the wheel to see if there is any damage? had a friend who had similar issue and it ended up being all the fins were gone on turbine side of turbo

Premium Features