• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Super Duty Winter Front?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What are you guys using for winter fronts on your 6.7s? Mine is a 15. I see that Ford doesn't make anything..... very disappointing.

I don't want one of those cheap *** FIA ones with the ugly glue on snaps.

Is it not required on this truck like it is on the Duramaxes?

J
Jun 5, 2011
West Slope Colorado
Ford doesn't make a factory one. I've read a lot about this on the forums and talked to folks. This truck doesn't seem to need one. I've run my truck at highway speeds at 30below (F) and never had any issue with the motor not running right about 200 degrees as normal.
Might not be an issue to worry about but I don't live in a super cold place anymore either. I have started this truck (also a 2015) at 20below with no issue at all, something my 7.3 would have never been able to handle!
See how yours handles the winter and watch the temps on the cluster to see if you need one.
I'm sure there are many out there, I've heard good things from the guys up north about this company
http://alaskatent.com/covers/grillcovers.html

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thank you for the reply, I was hoping to hear from folks who have first hand experience.

It hasn't got cold enough here for me to do any testing with the truck, but it will soon. I was thinking that I could at the very least, slide a sheet of cardboard between the grill and rad stack. Even if it was only half coverage, it HAS to help.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I don’t own the truck anymore but my 2011 6.7 never needed a grille cover. I know that this was the previous generation motor but it always ran around 200 no matter the temperature outside. I think the coldest I ever drove the truck was at 22 below. Still worked great

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
One thing to remember, if you stop the air from coming through the grill you also stop the air from cooling the aftercooler and cooling the hot air after being compressed buy the turbo. Not such a big deal going down the road and not a pulling alot of manifold pressure, problem is you get to a hill or the wind starts blowing and you put your foot in it. I trucked for many years, back before we had air-to-air aftercoolers winter fronts didn’t affect The compressed air so much as it was cooled by coolant, after the ATA aftercoolers came out the trucking industry had to make some changes in there thinking as far as winter fronts. One other thing that changed was the shape of the winter front, years ago everyone might only have the top of the WF open, in later years you would not be able to close the top or bottom, only make the opening smaller, I think this was partially to have a even load on the fan and fan bearings under load and always provide some cooling (air flow) for the aftercooler.

Maybe you know all of this....

Hope this all makes some sense!

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Ultimately it’s your comfort level with the information you have at hand. For me I never purchased anything for the front grill and I have a 2014.....F350 and ran thousands of miles typically pulling a four place enclosed on I -94 through MN,ND, MT well below —20 Fahrenheit. Never had an issue and never will purchase a winter front.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
the gill guards are not required on the LML duramaxes, in fact the manual says to absolutely not use it while towing. i pulled my trailer for many hours last winter at -34 F and never had a problem. my bro in law has an lbz and he uses a grill cover while towing.

i sold that truck and now have a '17 f 350 6.7 and don't plan on using one on this one.

Premium Features