• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting 30lb Propane Tank on Tongue

R
Sep 22, 2017
Hi guys,

Looking for some ideas of what other have done and suggestions.

I want to mount a single 30 lb propane tank on the tongue. Not much room on my tongue as you can see from the picture, only 20.5 inches between the V nose and jack.

I was thinking a single 30 lb would be a cleaner design rather than two 20 lb tanks.

A single 20 lb tank wouldn't last too long is my thinking (?)

Anyways, as I am in the process of adding a furnace, I better figure out a sturdy design that could accommodate a 30 lb tank. I am not a welder but could take it to a shop if I have the right design in mind.

Tried to upload a couple more pics in jpg format but got this error
"WBMP image has the incorrect file extension"

Thanks! :)

IMG_8555.jpg

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Change the jack to electric or side crank and buy a RV dual propane rack. Also buy a plastic cover to protect tanks. With the rack u can run 2 20 lbs or 2 30 lbs tanks. I personally run 2 30 but after a 3 night stay in the trailer I still am on my first tank. So 2 20 lbs would be sufficient in my case. I will try to post some pics of my setup but u definitely have enough room

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
A 20lb tank hold approx 4.5 gallons. 1 gallon of propane is approx 90k btu - so one tank holds 400,000 btu

A 40,000 btu heater would run for approx 10hrs

Not a lot of help on your tank mounting question but a little FYI for you tank selection

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Go with a covered dual tank system.

Two tanks in case one leaks out.

Covered system so can lock it up and keep out freezing rain.

2011HaulmarkGrizzlyPROPANE_zpsdaqrvi13.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Red tab upper right is for external access to outdoor heater or grill.

Can lock up tanks

Round regulator w/black cap needs to vent to atmosphere to regulate pressure and ice will destroy it and fail shut.

2011HaulmarkGrizzlyExteriorFront_zpsivczrbfl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Notice hand crank misses the tank when rotated

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

Looking for some ideas of what other have done and suggestions.

I want to mount a single 30 lb propane tank on the tongue. Not much room on my tongue as you can see from the picture, only 20.5 inches between the V nose and jack.

I was thinking a single 30 lb would be a cleaner design rather than two 20 lb tanks.

A single 20 lb tank wouldn't last too long is my thinking (?)

Anyways, as I am in the process of adding a furnace, I better figure out a sturdy design that could accommodate a 30 lb tank. I am not a welder but could take it to a shop if I have the right design in mind.

Tried to upload a couple more pics in jpg format but got this error
"WBMP image has the incorrect file extension"

Thanks! :)

Relocate battery ... Gel inside trailer or outside where crank is located Put crank to one side external to wedged frame. Mount tank holder closest to vnose.

R
Sep 22, 2017
Go with a covered dual tank system.

Two tanks in case one leaks out.

Covered system so can lock it up and keep out freezing rain.

2011HaulmarkGrizzlyPROPANE_zpsdaqrvi13.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Red tab upper right is for external access to outdoor heater or grill.

Can lock up tanks

Round regulator w/black cap needs to vent to atmosphere to regulate pressure and ice will destroy it and fail shut.

2011HaulmarkGrizzlyExteriorFront_zpsivczrbfl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Notice hand crank misses the tank when rotated

Very nice setup! Are those 20lb or 30lb tanks? Did you have to get that checker plate box custom made? Or can you buy that somewhere?

R
Sep 22, 2017
After reading the replies I think I have been convinced to go with a dual tank system rather than a single 30lb tank. I am leaning towards two 20lb tanks to keep the tongue weight slightly lighter. I tow with a half ton (Toyota Tundra) and tongue weight adds up quick.

I love the idea of having the ability to hook up a BBQ to the tanks. Keep the ideas coming guys.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Very nice setup! Are those 20lb or 30lb tanks? Did you have to get that checker plate box custom made? Or can you buy that somewhere?

30 pound tanks. Have two 30k BTU heaters.
Just bought the trailer and came setup as pictured.

You can get a plastic cover on Amazon for $30 Camco 40542 Heavy-Duty 20lb or 30lb Dual Propane Tank Cover (Polar White) and $20 at http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-tank-cover-white-fits-double-30-7-5-gallon/58161

Found an aluminum one on a classified site for $275 made by airstream

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ads/30-gallon-aluminum-propane-cover/#

JR products makes the hardware to mount tanks to the trailer... http://jrproducts.net/index.php/catalog/load_product_list/LP Gas/Tank Equipment/

Last edited:
Premium Features