• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Want to add heat to enclosed trailer.

Bushpilot

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2005
I have a Mission 30ft Aluminum enclosed trailer. I want to add furnace and cabinets to the trailer. I have seen trailers with this installed but I am wanting install cabinets that actually look like they are meant to be there not just an afterthought.

What is the best furnace to install, I have been looking at the atwood and the suburban 30btu + furnaces? I understand it is easier to install at ceiling height but want it to not look like an pvc octopus when done.

I have been reading some of the trailer installs on here and have looks at many different threads. Where are you getting your cabinets from? where can I get the materials to build my own custom cabinets.

Thanks
In advanced

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008
I would go with a 35k suburban, I've installed 3. I would get a pre made top cabinet and install it in there. Then route the ducting on the sides of the cabinet. Then run a fan on the floor to move the air around.

A 42k btu suburban will heat my 48' trailer to 30 degrees in the front and 25 degrees in the rear with no ducting.

R
Sep 22, 2017
I realize this is an older thread, but I am currently in the same dilemma about the "ducting octopus". I stuck between mounting it up high vs mounting on the floor.

Seems like a simple shelf with a bit of checker plate bent around is the way I will probably go. Otherwise paying $400 for a pre-made cabinet is all I have been able to find.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I realize this is an older thread, but I am currently in the same dilemma about the "ducting octopus". I stuck between mounting it up high vs mounting on the floor.

Seems like a simple shelf with a bit of checker plate bent around is the way I will probably go. Otherwise paying $400 for a pre-made cabinet is all I have been able to find.

Functionally the floor is nice but floor space is too valuable imo so I'd go with a ceiling mount.

R
Sep 22, 2017
Functionally the floor is nice but floor space is too valuable imo so I'd go with a ceiling mount.

I agree with you, the more I think about it...the more I am inclined to mount it higher up at the middle of the trailer with ducting coming off either side of the unit along the roof line.

Now to figure out a reasonable priced cabinet to mount it in. :face-icon-small-con

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I would mount it as high as possible. Not sure if those have a sealed firebox, but mounting it low I would worry about fuel vapors. Years ago I watched a shop burn down from a gasoline spill. The hot water tank wasn't on a pedistal. When it ignited the place went up in flames.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Granted the trailer has a 9 ft ceiling but the concept is the same at any height.

I'm very happy the previous owner installed these heaters

Suburban SF30FQ propane heater.

00V0V_jIiqpAa92RR_1200x900_zpsurqubdh6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Here is thermostat with timer to have trailer preheated when returning from ride.

Note CO sensor next to fire extinguisher.

2011HaulmarkGrizzlyHeaterTIMERthermostatCabinetsCOsensor_zpsxepjwbt5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Premium Features