• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 RMK, Still need Fix Kit??

ThSimpson

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2012
Holyoke, Colo
Looking at a 2010 RMK 800 155 with only 500 miles on it. Does the 10 RMK have issues like the 08-09 Dragons?? Or has that been "fixed" Thanks for your help.

Thom

C
Oct 29, 2008
The 2010 was updated from the 2009 with dual ring pistons, different head, and Muffler.
It still needs a Power Commander to clean up the lean midrange mapping as well as different pistons. You should go with a Forged Piston for RK TEK. He has custom made pistons that have been proven in this Engine!
The Power Commander also adds 8-10 HP from the map that gets downloaded to it.
Do a compression check and make sure it's in the 120s with no more variance then 5psi each cylinder. IMO that is even too much and the sign of a problem starting.

Last edited:
J

jim9006

Sep 7, 2008
Cle Elum WA
home.comcast.net
Looking at a 2010 RMK 800 155 with only 500 miles on it. Does the 10 RMK have issues like the 08-09 Dragons?? Or has that been "fixed" Thanks for your help.

Thom

To the OP. the 10 has a thicker liner skirt (not really a liner but you get the idea) which IMO is a step in the right direction. That said it did not fix the issue. Get the fix kit, carry a spare VR in your pack and use non-ethanol premium gas. The fuel controller is a good idea but not required.
Also note: if your putting the fix kit in a used motor be really thorough in your inspection of the cylinders. Best to just send them out along with your fix kit pistons and have them replated to match.

C
Oct 29, 2008
The Power Commander is about OHHH a 99% MUST HAVE on these engines.
It seems people on this site are not aware of the scary lean midrange on these engines.
And it adds 10 HP as it cleans up the mapping. No brainier!

G

gotsnow

Dec 2, 2007
South Dakota
? Spare VR? ?? what is that

To the OP. the 10 has a thicker liner skirt (not really a liner but you get the idea) which IMO is a step in the right direction. That said it did not fix the issue. Get the fix kit, carry a spare VR in your pack and use non-ethanol premium gas. The fuel controller is a good idea but not required.
Also note: if your putting the fix kit in a used motor be really thorough in your inspection of the cylinders. Best to just send them out along with your fix kit pistons and have them replated to match.

what is a VR? I am new to the IQ and have a 2010 800 dragon. I am looking for things I need when I go to the mountains.... Last thing I want to do is sit in the hotel room when everyone else is out riding!! Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Premium Features