• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 M8 Boondocker turbo: not enough Voltage for AFR

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I've got an 09 M8 with a BD RG kit. Sled has 4K miles and i installed an Innovate MTX-L AFR gauge but there isn't enough voltage to run it unless i unplug the headlights and intercooler fan, then it works fine. I wired it directly to the red/blue wire coming out of the factory aluminum finned voltage regulator on the right front of the sled and grounded it to the chassis. The only aftermarket electrical accessories on it are the turbo oil pump, BD box, and intercooler fan.

I'm pretty sure I should have enough power to run an AFR Gauge so how do i start diagnosing this or make this work? Also, it doesn't change if I rev the engine. It still will ONLY work if i unplug the headlights and intercooler fan.

K

kcdavidak

Dec 4, 2007
ketchikan,ak
common

pretty common problem with voltage. I've done two turbos with both set ups egt's and a/f and the a/f is more sensitive to voltage irregularities spikes and drops .on my 2013 with batt it works way better. probably not what you want to hear when I do my next one I won't waste my money on a/f gauge . I feel that egt's are faster more accurate and consistant than a/f gauge.there are a couple things you can do to help this, spread power usage out ,I pull power for egt's from red/blue from headlights and like you a/f from ccu unit, on 2010 m8 and it still acts erradict at times.

D

dirtsnow

Sep 1, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
So I talked with boondocker and they said not to use the AC device to incease DC voltage output because it will screw with the fueling on their box. I increased my idle rpm and it works at idle now and riding around, but at full throttle, it starts reading about 12.0 and then will just go to "E9" which means "supply voltage too low for sensor regulation".

It just seems to me that at full throttle I should have plenty of voltage to run this thing. Am I wrong?

Ideas?

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I have some ideas, but I haven't confirmed them with any testing.

I run an 09 with the DC regulator shown in the link, instead of the AC regulator. Works great with everything I run(not a boon docker).

The blue red circuit on your regulator is really only supposed to feed the power valve servo, beeper, and maybe led tail lights.

I know that:

When I tested an innovate o2 gauge a few years back it drew more amperage that my AEM does. it also did not like much less than 12 volts DC.

Any old Cat that I ever tested seemed to regulate voltage lower the higher the RPM.

Now,
I wonder if you have a big load with all your turbo related stuff plus the headlights helping to pull the voltage down. Now maybe when you gas it and gain RPM and the power valves open possibly lowering the DC voltage(blue red circuit) even more, the innovate o2 doesn't like it??? Get off the gas, power valves drop out and the gauge works again.

Just a theory...for what it's worth.

S
Jan 20, 2009
Run the DC power kit. I am not sure the item in the link comes with the fuse harness you will need. I got my kit from OVS. Came with everything you need. Call them up and Gar will hook you up. I have had one on mine since day one with an Innovate O2 and Boondocker box 3200 miles no problems.

Premium Features