• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Topo maps for Garmin 530

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
I know there are some other posts about this... I purchased a 530hcx, was trying to find a topo map of the us or western states, I downloaded the icybus usa that they talked about on the other thread but it does not appear to have the topo map it just looks like roads etc.. is there a diiferent version or is there something better? I want to download the trail maps and have it show the topo lines and trail maps, if anyone that has this setup your help is appreciated. Thanks

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Your best bet is the get the TOPO US 24K, $100, from Garmin, you can then access/view it in MapSource. In MapSource you can also choose which areas you want to send to your Garmin, that way you dont have to load the entire US onto your unit and fill the memory..unless you have a big SD card and then you dont need to worry about it.
TOPO US shows all the Forest Service roads and has the contour lines you are asking about. If you want TOPO maps specific to snowmobile trails you need to get those from a local club that had them made for the area or search the web for a company who has made them for it.
I tried to do a custom map and overlay my sled trails onto a TOPO Map, but the Rino's wont recognize them...only the Oregon's and Colorado's. :(

Here's a good aftermarket TOPO for Minnesota. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/153/
I have the one for Washington and its way more detailed than Garmin's, if you want to get that fine of detail.
Here is one that is snowmobile trails specific for Minnesota: http://www.redpinemapping.com/minne...3.html?zenid=b6a7a1c09a2a86412a0f9ccf8535b7c9

Once you get it dialed in, it's awesome. Get used to using MapSource & BaseCamp, both avail for free from Garmin's site. BaseCamp is very cool to export your ride from your unit to. It can display your trip in 3D contour maps. Both MS & BC both have their strengths and weaknesses, once you learn what they can and can't fo and how to use them to their fullest, you'll be stoked.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
Hey thanks, I guess u get what u pay for..... Have u tried to download the sledgps trail maps on the topo usa from garmin? I was wonder ing if that works or is that what you were refering to? Dont realy need the topo map of minnesota, shes pretty flat other than the 10000 holes filled with water..lol

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
No, I haven't tried the sledgps. It looks like just a trail map with no contour lines or details. Topographical data is one of the main reasons I have a GPS. I dont see myself trying that application.

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
gpssled looks good but no maps of out west from what I saw, dont really need them in the flat land, rmk2112, I was wondering if you can overlay the trails on the topo maps, so youd have both, thought somebody said that could be done but not sure..

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
gpssled looks good but no maps of out west from what I saw, dont really need them in the flat land, rmk2112, I was wondering if you can overlay the trails on the topo maps, so youd have both, thought somebody said that could be done but not sure..

Yes, it can be done. I did it.. :D
BUT, the Rino's don't recognize "Custom Maps". It only works for the Oregon's, Dakota's and the Colorado.
You can make it per the instructions that were posted in a thread below and put it in the CustomMaps folder, it just wont display it in Map Functions on your Rino.

Premium Features