• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowchecks

C

clamlake600

Feb 2, 2010
I heard thru some higher ups at trexton that arctic cat doubled their numbers from last year. way to go ARCTIC CAT ^..^

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
That's kind of funny, and misleading. Yes the snow checks are double because supposedly there will be no dealer floor inventory so that would stand to reason. Get back to me at the end of next season with the comparison of total sleds sold. That's the statistic that will count!!

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I like Cat sleds.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
It was between an alpha and another axys this year. Couldnt look past the price point of the alpha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Dealers ordering floor models via snowcheck, the new way to get inventory ;)

Do you know that's what they are doing or guessing? I was wondering if dealers were allowed to snow check for themselves to create in-season inventory.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Do you know that's what they are doing or guessing? I was wondering if dealers were allowed to snow check for themselves to create in-season inventory.

They have been doing it for years, allowed or not. Last season the big talk in the Polaris forum was how dealers were not allowed to do this and Polaris was cracking down on the practice.

Every dealer I have ever been to has management smart enough to order specials for their floor. Why the manufacturer would try to dissuade them is beyond me.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Dealers are allowed to order what they want, there is no financing option and warranty starts upon payment. In short if the dealer wants inventory he must pay as if the sled was snow checked and the warranty clock starts. If the sled does not sell until March most of the warranty period is been used on the showroom floor. This is strictly to reduce dealer inventory and i am sure with incentives the previous model years will be selling. Regardless of opinions if AC doubled their snow check numbers that is the true sales for the product.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
True yes but their snowcheck numbers will be there only sales numbers for this year.

Yes, that may be true for 2020 sleds, but they are making progress on moving carryover stock as well. Hopefully this leads to some new stuff in 21-22, time will tell.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
They have been doing it for years, allowed or not. Last season the big talk in the Polaris forum was how dealers were not allowed to do this and Polaris was cracking down on the practice.

Every dealer I have ever been to has management smart enough to order specials for their floor. Why the manufacturer would try to dissuade them is beyond me.

Because some dealers order beyond their means and are stuck with them, then they beg the manufacturer for rebates at the end of the season.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Because some dealers order beyond their means and are stuck with them, then they beg the manufacturer for rebates at the end of the season.

My understanding of this is different but, keep in mind they have all changed the rules on the dealers lately...

The local Ski Doo dealer has to take the factory allocation. That allocation is based on past sales, if you did well you get more. When too many sleds are allocated the rebates begin.

I do not think the dealers crying for rebates because they don't run their business correctly has much effect on what the factory does. When the factory is complicit in putting too many sleds on the ground they understand this and offer rebates to help dealers move the stock they foisted on the dealer.

I know my Cat dealer was out buying overstock from other dealers this season because of high demand during a great snow season. The dealer down the road from them was refusing to deal on Alphas this season and has 3-4 left because again, they do not understand business very well. My dealer sold all they had and then some.

Even the Polaris dealer sold all of their old stock this season.

I think Textron is up to one of two things, either shutting AC down, which has happened before, or they are clearing the way for new products and clearing out the old.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
My understanding of this is different but, keep in mind they have all changed the rules on the dealers lately...

The local Ski Doo dealer has to take the factory allocation. That allocation is based on past sales, if you did well you get more. When too many sleds are allocated the rebates begin.

I do not think the dealers crying for rebates because they don't run their business correctly has much effect on what the factory does. When the factory is complicit in putting too many sleds on the ground they understand this and offer rebates to help dealers move the stock they foisted on the dealer.

I know my Cat dealer was out buying overstock from other dealers this season because of high demand during a great snow season. The dealer down the road from them was refusing to deal on Alphas this season and has 3-4 left because again, they do not understand business very well. My dealer sold all they had and then some.

I think Textron is up to one of two things, either shutting AC down, which has happened before, or they are clearing the way for new products and clearing out the old.

All of this is true. However my comment was about spring order only. Models in which rebates are not normally allotted for. I would assume there is a system in place that would help a dealer in the case of a significant amount of backed out snow checks. However, most times rebates on snowcheck only sleds are very insignificant. I can't help but think the manufacturers show no pity to dealers who order snowchecks and are stuck with them. Maybe I'm way out to lunch.. but I found a 2019 Freeride at a dealer brand new last month.. Called about it and found out they had $1000 took off it and only 1 year warranty. So I called my dealer and I ordered a new one with 4 years warranty..

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
All of this is true. However my comment was about spring order only. Models in which rebates are not normally allotted for. I would assume there is a system in place that would help a dealer in the case of a significant amount of backed out snow checks. However, most times rebates on snowcheck only sleds are very insignificant. I can't help but think the manufacturers show no pity to dealers who order snowchecks and are stuck with them. Maybe I'm way out to lunch.. but I found a 2019 Freeride at a dealer brand new last month.. Called about it and found out they had $1000 took off it and only 1 year warranty. So I called my dealer and I ordered a new one with 4 years warranty..

I bought my spring only 17 Mtn Cat as a holdover 1/18. I received the rebates at the time and 2 yrs warranty, also part of that January's promotion. They did sell it do me as a demo sled though, even though it had never been ridden. Must be a loophole there too...

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

I think Textron is up to one of two things, either shutting AC down, which has happened before, or they are clearing the way for new products and clearing out the old.[/]

Been a lot of speculation that Textron is getting out of the snowmobile business. Some said that's why they dropped prices so much on spring orders. If so, that would really leave just Doo and Poo, Yamaha is off in the distance.

Would be sad to see Cat go.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Arctic Cat, dirt and snow, had a big miss to forecast in 18 - Tex is trying to figure out how to make forecast, and make money. The Tracker ATV/UTV will help with that, too. Sure hope they hang in there with the sleds, industry doesn't need fewer OEMs, we'll all suffer. Doo and Poo will just put it on cruise. But snow won't be sacred like it was under Twomey and co.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Been a lot of speculation that Textron is getting out of the snowmobile business. Some said that's why they dropped prices so much on spring orders. If so, that would really leave just Doo and Poo, Yamaha is off in the distance.

I heard this as well. Sad for sure!

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise

I doubt it. This would leave them without any winter market segment. And there are a lot of synergies with the sleds and ATVs with motor and drivetrains.

I think they are simply taking advantage of the rare snowcheck process that most sports don't offer. Honestly, how many other motorsports or anything can you think of where people plunk money down 9 months ahead? And if they rely on this entirely, they can inventory and build exactly what is needed for the market. At retail price. Yeah, the price is lower...but that's because they won't have all the unknowns. Running a production line just a week longer or shorter is worth millions. Precisely planning production and inventory timing...huge cost savings. And they are passing this on to the consumer. Also, if they were just going to coast things out and close it down, why a new motor? New skid? Etc.?

Premium Features