• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 M8000 limited or 2017 mountain cat.

F
Dec 7, 2016
Hey guys,
Thinking of getting one of the two and wondering what the differences are in both sleds and if they make much of a difference. I'm mostly concerned with the 3'' track on the MC and what it would be like trail riding which I will be doing from time to time but mostly used in the hills.
Also wondering if the dropped front axle makes that much difference in the deep snow handling.
I'm leaning toward the limited.
Thanks

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Wow the 17 Limited didn't get the 3" just the Mountain Cat? The 3 inch rocks off trail, thing is a beast, digs and rips like no other track I've ever ridden. Don't have any problems with it on the trail, but my time there is very limited and even when we have to take one I'm off on the side as much as possible. Do love the roost it puts out, don't have to worry about people following too close behind you, ever:)

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Unless the limited is $2000 cheaper get the mountain cat. Its really not even a debate. The handling and deep snow capability are far superior on the Mountain Cat. Most people that got the limited are putting mountain cat drive in their limited. It's really that noticeable.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
where do you ride? the 3" will need scratchers down most the time on groomed trails, if you like your hyfax. the limited would be better trail machine if its the 2.6. the seat on my mountain cat isnt good for 6'+ tall guys, i am not sure if all 17s got the shorter seat?
But go mountain cat if you like to spit some game off trail for sure.
with the 3" i am kinda paranoid about 60mph+ speeds on the trails, just doesnt feel like a good idea to me.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
i am kinda paranoid about 60mph+ speeds on the trails, just doesnt feel like a good idea to me.

Oh come on that's right where the drifting starts to get really interesting.

Yeah I go like 45mph max on hardpack with that thing. :face-icon-small-hap

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wow the 17 Limited didn't get the 3" just the Mountain Cat? The 3 inch rocks off trail, thing is a beast, digs and rips like no other track I've ever ridden. Don't have any problems with it on the trail, but my time there is very limited and even when we have to take one I'm off on the side as much as possible. Do love the roost it puts out, don't have to worry about people following too close behind you, ever:)

The limiteds could be ordered with the 3 in my dealer has 3 limiteds and 2 mountain cat all with the 3 pc.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Speed

Maybe it's the elevation but neither my '10 M8 2.6 PC nor my '17 MC 3.0 PC will cruise at 70 -75, only @ WOT! What am I doing wrong?:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Maybe it's the elevation but neither my '10 M8 2.6 PC nor my '17 MC 3.0 PC will cruise at 70 -75, only @ WOT! What am I doing wrong?:face-icon-small-con

First thing is you're riding a mountain sled at 70-75 mph!!! And people wonder why their tracks come apart and their belts explode...

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
20-49 gears and 8tooth drivers.
Stock it was hard to cruise at 60!
My cruising is usually 50-60 only a few short straightaway to hit 70+

GS6

I
Sep 23, 2016
My 15 has nailed 85 once or twice.....lol id go with the mc, all those who don't have and ride one love it, then they upgrade the current machine they are riding to the mc chain case anyways. They got me sold. Im doing the drop and roll next season on my 15! cheaper to upgrade every yr then to buy new I think lol

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
http://turboaddictionparts.com/catalog/snowmobilecalculator.html

mt cat max speed stock gears 69.95 mph.:face-icon-small-dis at 8100 rpm.
must have had a great tail wind.
Both my stock 14's (19/50)would do 79-80 just takes a minute after 70 to get there. Half throttle or full didn't matter.
My sled spins 8500 and at 70 i was under 8k. Also i was going up trail 7°.
With the 20/49 and MDS and Jaws, it still pulls hard at 70 not like stock where it feels flat at 65.

GS6

killergiller

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
Northern CA
Agree with the others, unless you are doing the majority of your riding on the trail, step up to the MC, it is wicked good!

Best I have had, well ever!

Also agree with the statements re: scratchers even on very loose trail it gets hot and you will ride with them down all the time. You will have this issue on either sled however.

The pop you get on the MC is stoopidly fun!

Hope this helps.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
we have a '17 limited and a '17 mountain cat both with 3" PC tracks. They are pretty much the same sled until you hit deep powder or a hill climb. Then they become a completely different animal. The Mountain Cat just goes that much better on the hills and the deep snow. If you have an opportunity and ability to get a '17 mountain cat I would jump on it

Premium Features